Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Log4OM by IW3HMH Help

Reviews Summary for Log4OM by IW3HMH
Log4OM by IW3HMH Reviews: 36 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Complete logging software. CAT support for local and remote radio. QRZ/HAMQTH lookups. Visual cluster over world map with CW/PHONE filters integrated with HRDLog propagation maps by band. Label print. Voice parrot. Supports EQSL/LOTW/HRDLOG up/download. Fully searchable and exportable log (adif/csv/pdf). Statistics. Basic contest support. Works with local DB or MySQL for multi-op and much more...
More info: http://www.pisto.it

You can write your own review of the Log4OM by IW3HMH.

MM0ZIF Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using various loggers over the years, when HRD became a paid product I thought it wasn't worth the money so started to look for something better, LOG4OM fits the bill perfectly. Works well for contesting, for VHF work (and above) its built in support for multiple online logging programs is superb. If you do a lot of SOTA or IOTA then this is going to please you.

I am even happy that it has no problems running single operator multiple radios without issue!

I wanted a feature added so requested it from IW3HMH and guess what, within days there was an update including it. The forums are full of knowledgeable users. I couldn't recommend this enough

G0JKZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Best so far. the fastest software out there.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I came from HRD a couple of years ago now. HRD works, don't get me wrong, with good control implementation. Its just not easy to multi station. Log4om uses Mysql so you are able to run multiple stations simultaneously with a single integrated log. Because it uses a standard scalable database it is easy to integrate with any reporting tools you like if you so wish.

I like the ease of use and the fact that it isn't a 'jack of all, master of none'. Its a fast, efficient logbook. it talks to your net based logbooks easily, and integrates with other software but never strays from its path as a logbook without trying to do anything else. It has never crashed and when I have had questions the user forum has been fast in responding and helping me out.

The best part of it all? its free.

K0ZRK Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 07:53 Send this review to a friend
The best keeps getting better.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used three good logging programs before this one, and they worked well. I tried this one out of curiosity, and haven't used the others since.

Anything I need it to do is a mouse click away, and it has been written so not many mouse clicks are needed.

I put in a call sign and know immediately if I have worked the station, and if I have worked it on that band.

When I first started using it, I would use it to create a file to export my log entries to qrz.com every month or so, but now the latest version sends each QSO to QRZ, HRDlog, and Clublog as soon as I log them.

The cluster is set up so I can tell by the color if I have worked a country, worked it on that band, and if I have worked that station, without even having to click on it. Countries or stations I need show up in a different color.

It is the best and easiest to use software I have found, including the ones I have paid for.
Thanks to Daniele for offering this software for free. It shows that the "Hams helping Hams" spirit is still alive and well in our hobby. That being said, if you use and like the software, it doesn't hurt to send a small token of appreciation for the great service Daniele has done for us with this great logging program.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Try it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used Log-EQF since it first appeared in the early 1990's and then on to Win-EQF until a week ago, I decided to try Log4OM, and I am delighted that I did so.
Nothing against Log-EQF / Win-EQF as they served me well without a hitch for over twenty years, both in the UK and overseas.
But I have to say that I prefer the layout of Log4OM and got used to it very quickly after a couple of help periods from another user, it does have features for every occasion, some of which I will never use, users need never be stuck, constructive help is available from many sources.
I have donated towards the running costs and will continue to do so in the future.
You will not be disappointed!

John www.gm6tvr.net

KF7DS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great logger great interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really cannot add much more to what has already been said - I used HRD since late version 5 to version 6.1 and really liked it; but, the logger like much of HRD seems klunky.

Log4OM has a great interface - does not require another "logging" window to be open taking up screen real estate in order to log a qso, and has complete documentation and support forum. It interfaces well with fldigi and Club Log, so it is extendable. Overall a great product. This is the type of Free Software that makes you want to donate to keep it moving forward, which I do every year.

Don KF7DS

WX4F Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 07:42 Send this review to a friend
The absolute BEST of the pack - a MUST have!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using logging software for over 5 years now, and I have tried almost all of them. I won't try to compare to others or name them, but let me say my key requirements are ease of use, visual look and feel, excellent integration (seamless) for LOTW and cluster comparisons back to my log (for country and band needed for DXCC). Log4OM excels in all these attributes by far over the other top choices, hands down!! I paid around $ 50.00 for the software I was using prior to this, and it's not even in the same league .... and Log4OM is FREE!!! I must be honest and say I would gladly pay that and more for Log4OM, and a donation is certainly coming soon for these folks. I had a small technical issue importing my prior log ADIF file, with countries missing, and the tech support was FAST and thorough. You must try this if you need the features I have listed above. Oh, plus the grey line map with station location plotting, as well as prior QSO instant lookup is icing on the cake!!! And, the user manual is the BEST I have ever seen. You must read it to fully understand everything, but the software is intuitive to get moving even without an initial read. Perfect. I recently started using a dual-monitor set-up with my Flex PowerSDR set-up, and everything works & talks just great. You will need "OmniRig" software (also free) to interface with your rig for comm for tracking freq, band, etc., but it's free too.

WQ4A Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: months
I have been using LOG4OM for just a couple of weeks and I have not been disappointed. Awesome software! I found it easy to install and use with my IC-7600. I highly recommend LOG4OM!

W2LJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Really good program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I give Log4OM a "5" for several reasons.

1) General ease of use. By itself, the program, while being comprehensive is very easy to use. It is intuitive, and it just "makes a lot of sense" to use. Setup is painless and easy. The program itself runs well on one screen, but can be split apart if that's your thing. Log4OM is the type of logging program that makes you say, "If I knew how to write software, this is they type of logging program that I would come up with."

2) Looks good. To those of you more concerned with function than form, this may not be so important. To me it is, however. The program looks good, it is not archaic or UNIX looking.

3) Plenty of bells and whistles. In addition to being a great logging program, you can mate Log4OM to your transceiver (in my case, my KX3). This will allow the program to keep track of what frequency your on, so you don't have to manually enter it. Also, if you decide to use the DX Cluster feature, a click of your mouse will get your transceiver to the desired spot instantaneously.

4) User manual. Sometimes an overlooked feature, but there is a comprehensive user manual located at the Log4OM Website. It can be downloaded and kept for future reference, and it is written very, very well.

5) Support. Also located at the Log4OM Website is a support forum. If you have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in the manual - the Log4OM development team gets back to you in a matter of hours - not days ..... hours. I had a few minor issues that I needed help with. I had posted questions to the forum before going to sleep at night, and by the next morning, answers were waiting for me!

6) eQSL and LOTW linkage which are actually painless! This is the first logging program that I have used that did the job without making me jump through all kinds of hoops. Setup was easy and uploading to both services works great with minimal stress on my part.

7) Continually developing. Daniele and Terry are constantly asking for suggestions. Tweaks are made and bugs (if and when they rear their ugly heads) are addressed and fixed. These guys listen and that is so important!

Log4OM is a labor of love and is offered to the Ham community free of charge. Why anyone wouldn't download and use this program is beyond me.

IK2EGL Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 04:44 Send this review to a friend
My experience with LOG4OM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to adopt a new logging program, after I have been using for a long time a stable but no more updated software; the missing integration with new rig flex 6500 was an issue.

I did a survey in my local ham group to identify an alternative

I was told about log4om and I did some more investigation on it.
Basic requirement was a software functionally completed (I know what I need), adopting recent technologies,having a large and active forum community.

Why a community ?

Because users ensure a software to be continuously talked about , identify requirements , appreciate good functionalities and freely dislike what they do not appreciate.

So I registered myself to log4om forum and I discovered that the forum has a well structured organization, composed by many users, developer, customer support, alpha and beta testing groups, data gathering expert: all what you need to go forward.

Forum started at jan 2013 and at today, statistics are: Total posts 3781 Total topics 631 , 359 users.

The Forum at http://www.pisto.it/forum/index.php is really a living knowledge base and new topics are treated in short time.

If you want to have a full picture of all the functionalities (really many of them) have a look at the excellent documentation at http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/ , download the manual and have a look at the index.

LOG4OM is still at the beginning of its life (1.16 is available to ham community and 1.17 in beta) and many mantis will be included in the next releases for sure.

The evolution process will make this excellent software even more user friendly, robust, and easy to use.

Try it, you will be impressed.

W7DRM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Great logger, best & easy to get started  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have returned from about a 15 year break in ham radio, trying to catch up with technology. One of the first things I set out to do was get a new logging program, understanding that they now integrate with clusters, CAT control, and integration with online services such as QRZ, HRDLog.net, LofW and others. I read many reviews here on eHam.com and based on the review and popularity I downloaded, installed and test drove three different programs. Log4OM was the best for my needs. I've had Log4OM installed and working for about a month now and I am amazed and dazzled more each day I use it.

I should mention, I have a background in software development, having run the software development operation for a windows vertical market, with a heavy emphasis on intuitive design and ease of use. So I tend to appreciate well designed software.

Log4OM stands well above the other 2 very popular packages which I tried. Its strong points are:
* Easy installation and initial setup. This is in stark contrast to the other two programs I tried.
* Very user friendly main program user window, with multiple tabs immediately available to change operations, (QSO records, Clusters, Cluster scanner, etc) without leaving the main upper portion of the window where you log the next QSO.
* Very easy integration of the cluster to the logging function. Click on a cluster report, all the info like callsign, freq, (lookup info from QRZ or HamQTH) name, QTH, etc, is instantly filled into the log entry area. To log that QSO, just need to press ENTER key or Click ADD button. Could not be simpler.
* Instant feedback of previously worked stations. If you enter a callsign into the upper QSO log area, or click on a cluster report, you are instantly shown below a list of previous contacts with that station. If you have worked that station on the same band, a message to that effect will appear next to the call sign. In addition, if you are working a contest, you can easily check a box on the Contest tab to put the software into Contest Mode and specify a contest date range. Now this search for previously worked contacts will be narrowed to the date range of the contest! Very slick.
* Cluster report grid has very flexible and customizable colors to denote stations worked, stations worked on that band, countries Not Worked, Band Not Worked, Mode Not Worked, and even change the country, band and mode color criteria by "Worked, or QSL'ed, or eQSL'ed, or LotW'ed, or QSL'ed OR LotW'ed. In other words, if I have my criteria setup to 'Worked', Azores on 10m SSB might show up in Green - meaning I have worked that country, band and mode. But if I change the criteria to 'QSL'ed OR LotW', Azores might show up as red, meaning I have not verified Azores or received a QSL from that country. Same on band and mode. In other words, you can get very fine resolution in your cluster display, for what you have, and what you need. These criteria are easily changed with a convenient tab to the right of the cluster grid.
* Easy access to additional info on a callsign. Enter a callsign or click on a cluster report - want more info on the contact? Just click on the "Lookup" button to the right of the QSO entry area, and depending whether you have QRZ or HamQTH as your external source set, a built in browser window will open with the contacts page, or if you have Ext Browser selected, an external browser tab will open with the contacts QRZ or HamQTH page displayed. This is especially valuable if you are running two or more monitors, which I highly recommend. i use the Ext Browser feature and the contact information opens in my far right monitor without covering any of the Log4OM program windows.
* Very useful main window using the first tab - "QSO Information (F6)", which shows 3 things - all relative to the callsign entered - 1) the gray line map with the location of the station I have entered, 2) already worked records of that staion, and 3) a nice grid of what bands and modes you have worked (X on grid) or confirmed (Check mark on grid) for the country of the callsign entered.
* Flexibility to have everything in one window, or launch axillary windows for a multi window arrangement for wide screen or multiple monitor usage. If you want cluster info displayed separately (which I do) you can open a separate cluster window and position it away from the main program window. I have this cluster window set up to the right of the main window. Other sections, such as the display of previously worked contacts can be "detached" by clicking on the Detach label to open a separate movable and resizable window for displaying records of previous QSO's of an entered callsign. Same with the country worked grid and others.
* Integration with many internet services. You can elect to have the program auto upload new QSO's to eQSL, HRDlog.net, ClubLog, and HamQTH, one or many. Also able to upload and download to/from LotW via easy to use but manual operations.
* Very nice "Statistics" function where you can query your award statistics, like number worked and confirmed for DXCC mixed and all the separate bands and modes, among other awards. While in this window and its grid view, click on a grid - such as country and band and you will be presented with a list of your QSO's that fit that criteria, which makes it easy to track down confirmations. Also has a country worked map, a QSL confirmed map and WAS grid.
* A very well written, comprehensive English Instruction Manual, in pdf format.
* Excellent tech support. I had trouble getting my LofW confirmed QSO's to download and Terry (G4POP) was very helpful and had the problem solved in short order. There is also an active forum where Terry and the author respond quickly to questions and suggestions on how to make the product even better.

Sorry for the length, if you have read this far, I encourage you to give Log4OM a try. So far, there is nothing I have looked for which the program cannot do.

73's