Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Log4OM by IW3HMH Help

Reviews Summary for Log4OM by IW3HMH
Log4OM by IW3HMH Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Complete logging software. CAT support for local and remote radio. QRZ/HAMQTH lookups. Visual cluster over world map with CW/PHONE filters integrated with HRDLog propagation maps by band. Label print. Voice parrot. Supports EQSL/LOTW/HRDLOG up/download. Fully searchable and exportable log (adif/csv/pdf). Statistics. Basic contest support. Works with local DB or MySQL for multi-op and much more...

You can write your own review of the Log4OM by IW3HMH.

N2RJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2016 12:44 Send this review to a friend
A decent replacement for HRD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came from HRD. I also tried DXLabSuite, which was simply awful. HRD was nice but then became commercialized, while itself not a problem, didn't really seem to give me much value for money.

Then I decided to give Log4OM a try.

It is not perfectly laid out I must admit but it seems decent enough. It can use hamlib or OmniRig to connect to CAT on your rig.

I like the cluster features and this one actually works. It can filter out band slots I don't need and also alert me to NPOTA activations which I did not find in other packages.

Log entry is fast and intuitive. If you make a mistake it is easy to understand why and correct it.

LoTW and eQSL, QRZ and ClubLog are all fine and they work properly.

Speed seems fine. I use a MySQL backend, which I had also used with HRD.

So not perfect but good enough that it will earn 5 stars anyway.
KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Application  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been working with Log4OM for over six months now and continue to be amazed at the capabilities and support provided by the developers and other users on the reflector.

I had been using an application that is fundamentally good, but needs a lot of updating to get past 'just logging' a Q. It works well for that, but I'm just not sure about future development.

That put me on the mission to try some other apps and I did just that and have settled in with the great folks at Log4OM.

I have not even tapped all the capabilities with the current release and as I do try a new option it is very "eye-opening" for me.

Any questions or hiccups I've come across are quickly addressed and excellent support provided by everyone on the reflector.

I did not have any issues with my initial CAT connection to my Elecraft K3 ... others had noted some problems with that ... I did not.

I also just updated my K3 with the new I/O that provided the USB option and the adjustment with Log4OM was smooth as silk.

I'm finally starting to integrate some digital Q's to my efforts and don't see where I'll have any problems in how Log4OM works with the various digi applications.

This is a great application, support is extraordinary and they are always working on updates and advancements with the program.

Stay tuned for some great advancements with this application over time.
G1YBB Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2016 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great and does all I need and more  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I tried a few (briefly) logging programs before I found this one. I have been very pleased with the functions offered and also the support from the website and the forums.
I found the CAT very easy to set up myself, I'm not sure why others feel it either doesn't do it or it's too hard to set up. I bought the CAT cable, installed the driver, set the serial port the CAT is on in Log4OM settings and it worked.
The logging and auto upload to the likes of, eQSL, and the others is very useful, as is the cluster, callsign lookup, SOTA support (as a SOTA activator that is useful).
I have my logbook and settings stored in dropbox, and use a portable version (you can download either) on both my PC and my Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Everything syncs flawlessly. I go portable with the surface, log my contacts, come home switch the PC on, fire up Log4OM on the PC and the new QSOs are there.
But the best feature for me is I can set up a profile for each portable site I use so my logs are using the correct callsign. As I cross the border into Wales a lot my call becomes GW1YBB/P, and uk portable of course G1YBB/P. All my online log presences are associated with the correct callsigns. (I have detailed setting that up on my site if interested)

It does have contest functionality but I find that a bit clunkier to drive so use other programs for that. I feel its primary use is normal logging, SOTA activations, general portable, home use etc. That is something it does well.

I've not tried some of the other functionality like rotator control and other module integration, but what I have tried works well and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Bang for buck wise you can't go wrong and it's great to see good quality software being shared for free in the true Amateur radio spirit.
WE1X Rating: 2/5 Feb 17, 2016 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Needs Some Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been playing with Log4OM for over a year and have to give credit to the team for producing an interesting logging application free to the ham community. With that said, I've noticed a number of troubling issues that continue to lead me back to Ham Radio Deluxe.

First, as the previous reviewer said setting up the CAT function can be a challenge. I've worked my way around this and to be honest it wasn't all that difficult. However, when using 2 different transceivers getting "Rig 2" to work is a royal pain. I've noticed that the development team comes out with feature enhancements with each release. It would be nice if this got fixed first.

Second, comments in the DX cluster tend to either overlap or go on for 2 or more lines. While this may be more of personal preference issue, at times I find that when there are 2 lines it makes reading the comments more difficult.

Third, it would be nice if the DX Cluster map could replace the main QSO map on the screen. Doing this could help eliminate the need to have multiple windows open and free up screen real estate.

Fourth, as said by the previous reviewer the layout of the logbook entry could be easier to follow, edit, etc.

Fifth, some level of rig control via CAT would be nice although I can imagine it would be a time and resource challenge to create and support such of the multitude of rigs out there. More of a nit than anything else.

Again, the team deserves considerable praise for their efforts. I feel, however, I would be remiss if I didn't point these issues out from my experience.
WS7X Rating: 2/5 Feb 16, 2016 21:11 Send this review to a friend
A good start but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been logging electronically for many years and have tried quite a few others before this one. I tied this one on the recommendation of another ham but couldn't even get the CAT to connect with my rig. Tried both the recommended CAT programs with the same result. So, off to the manual I go to see what I"m missing. And guess what, still no joy. The manual doesn't explain how to make the CAT work. I'm sorry, but any good logger should have a built in CAT interface! And it should be simple to set up and work on start up. This one doesn't meet that standard.
This program also misses the boat by trying to do everything like the clusters and various web pages while missing the basics. For example, you can't tell what anything does by hovering the mouse over the buttons. And, once you input a call sign, how do you "log" the contact. Sheesh, you have to scroll way over on the other side of the page to what looks like a disk. It should be right next the call! and It should be clearly labeled. Sorry, I could go on and on but I wont. I'm frankly surprised by all the 5 reviews. Can't see where its deserved. Again, its a good start but needs work.
VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2016 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Best logging program around!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a recent new ham I began searching for the best logging program around as I wanted to get it right the first time. I tried all of the most common programs like HRD and N1MM and found that some programs are better for different functions. For example N1MM is tailored for contesting and does this very well, however N1MM is not really nice to use for day to day operations. HRD made a lot of sense as many other apps were built in, I just found that a lot of the built in apps were lacking and the logging portion was inferior to Log4OM. I stumbled upon Log4OM close to when it was fist released, immediately I fell in love with it as it performed everything you would ever want a logging program to. Integration with CAT using Ominrig or Hamblib, integration with eQSL, LOTW, Clublog, HRDlog, QRZ etc etc. The cluster is very pleasant to look at, you can customize the cluster view to show you wanted bands, modes, countries etc and color code them accordingly.

Just like N1MM you can have several profiles for different call signs and keep you logbooks separate. Switching between accounts is very easy.

I have managed to get FlDigi and JT65-HF-HB9HQX-Edition working together with the Log4OM logbook. This was easier to configure than what I originally though and works perfectly.

Log4OM can be used for contesting as it has built in features for this however I find myself using N1MM for this as it better suited for it.

The one thing I like about Log4OM is that it has never crashed or frozen up on me. The software is very stable and an Intel i5 processor can easily tackle all of the features running at the same time.
WC5B Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2015 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Best Free option currently  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently ran the gambit trying many of the free loggers available. Many are cumbersome to configure and not end user friendly. Some offer this that you need, but not that. This logger being free is a real gem. There may be better pay options out there, but for a free option you can't complain much at all. Setup was a breeze and user friendly. Every question I had was well detailed in a well put together manual with many screenshot examples. It was the only free logger that was able to reliably plug and play my backup's and award tracking. I think I would arrange the setup a bit different but I rather have it setup at all then just be a cluster of windows that you can never manually get right. The supercluster is REALLY a nice feature! Helps with those "Who am I hearing?" questions. Intergration with third party digi software is a bit confusing on how it works, but with step by step instructions, it just does. Automatic updating of the major electronic qsl services make things a breeze in that prospective and is on par with paid loggers out there. Only thing I can't seem to find that I would like to see is built in version updater and full intergration of digi software so it can cross check what you have alerady worked and not just add contacts from one client to the other. To be honest, this would be a solid 4 out of 5 if it were a paid logger. Can't go wrong with it.
G4AON Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2015 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would give the program a 5, but in reality it's more of a 4.5/5 as there are some issues that need resolving.

Problem areas:
Serial (RS232) Winkey doesn't work. This was raised back in January and is still outstanding.
When not connected to the internet, the Clublog upload status shows "Y" when it clearly can't be uploaded...
Likewise, if you run the program before the internet is connected, the solar data isn't updated upon connection.

Good stuff:
Integration to CW Skimmer, DX Clusters, Clublog (except for the minor issue above) and Fldigi is very easy. The Omnirig radio interface is very good and also easy to set up.
The Fldigi integration is particularly good, entries in the Fldigi log are mirrored in Log4OM, clicking on a cluster spot in Log4OM enters the call into the log in Fldigi, etc. Frequencies are matched between logs and the radio too.

The manual is well written and kept up to date. Support via the user forum is prompt and gives confidence that issues raised will be dealt with. I am sure the minor issues above will soon be resolved.
KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 06:08 Send this review to a friend
New version released. Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The newest revision 1.23.0 has just been released. The new additions are welcomed, although you have to hunt around in order to locate most of them.
The user manual needs to be revised incorporating these additions.
CT1HIX Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2015 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple, effective and free!