Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Log4OM by IW3HMH Help

Reviews Summary for Log4OM by IW3HMH
Log4OM by IW3HMH Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Complete logging software. CAT support for local and remote radio. QRZ/HAMQTH lookups. Visual cluster over world map with CW/PHONE filters integrated with HRDLog propagation maps by band. Label print. Voice parrot. Supports EQSL/LOTW/HRDLOG up/download. Fully searchable and exportable log (adif/csv/pdf). Statistics. Basic contest support. Works with local DB or MySQL for multi-op and much more...
More info: http://www.pisto.it

You can write your own review of the Log4OM by IW3HMH.

WX4F Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 07:42 Send this review to a friend
The absolute BEST of the pack - a MUST have!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using logging software for over 5 years now, and I have tried almost all of them. I won't try to compare to others or name them, but let me say my key requirements are ease of use, visual look and feel, excellent integration (seamless) for LOTW and cluster comparisons back to my log (for country and band needed for DXCC). Log4OM excels in all these attributes by far over the other top choices, hands down!! I paid around $ 50.00 for the software I was using prior to this, and it's not even in the same league .... and Log4OM is FREE!!! I must be honest and say I would gladly pay that and more for Log4OM, and a donation is certainly coming soon for these folks. I had a small technical issue importing my prior log ADIF file, with countries missing, and the tech support was FAST and thorough. You must try this if you need the features I have listed above. Oh, plus the grey line map with station location plotting, as well as prior QSO instant lookup is icing on the cake!!! And, the user manual is the BEST I have ever seen. You must read it to fully understand everything, but the software is intuitive to get moving even without an initial read. Perfect. I recently started using a dual-monitor set-up with my Flex PowerSDR set-up, and everything works & talks just great. You will need "OmniRig" software (also free) to interface with your rig for comm for tracking freq, band, etc., but it's free too.

WQ4A Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: months
I have been using LOG4OM for just a couple of weeks and I have not been disappointed. Awesome software! I found it easy to install and use with my IC-7600. I highly recommend LOG4OM!

W2LJ Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2014 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Really good program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I give Log4OM a "5" for several reasons.

1) General ease of use. By itself, the program, while being comprehensive is very easy to use. It is intuitive, and it just "makes a lot of sense" to use. Setup is painless and easy. The program itself runs well on one screen, but can be split apart if that's your thing. Log4OM is the type of logging program that makes you say, "If I knew how to write software, this is they type of logging program that I would come up with."

2) Looks good. To those of you more concerned with function than form, this may not be so important. To me it is, however. The program looks good, it is not archaic or UNIX looking.

3) Plenty of bells and whistles. In addition to being a great logging program, you can mate Log4OM to your transceiver (in my case, my KX3). This will allow the program to keep track of what frequency your on, so you don't have to manually enter it. Also, if you decide to use the DX Cluster feature, a click of your mouse will get your transceiver to the desired spot instantaneously.

4) User manual. Sometimes an overlooked feature, but there is a comprehensive user manual located at the Log4OM Website. It can be downloaded and kept for future reference, and it is written very, very well.

5) Support. Also located at the Log4OM Website is a support forum. If you have a question that doesn't seem to be covered in the manual - the Log4OM development team gets back to you in a matter of hours - not days ..... hours. I had a few minor issues that I needed help with. I had posted questions to the forum before going to sleep at night, and by the next morning, answers were waiting for me!

6) eQSL and LOTW linkage which are actually painless! This is the first logging program that I have used that did the job without making me jump through all kinds of hoops. Setup was easy and uploading to both services works great with minimal stress on my part.

7) Continually developing. Daniele and Terry are constantly asking for suggestions. Tweaks are made and bugs (if and when they rear their ugly heads) are addressed and fixed. These guys listen and that is so important!

Log4OM is a labor of love and is offered to the Ham community free of charge. Why anyone wouldn't download and use this program is beyond me.

IK2EGL Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 04:44 Send this review to a friend
My experience with LOG4OM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to adopt a new logging program, after I have been using for a long time a stable but no more updated software; the missing integration with new rig flex 6500 was an issue.

I did a survey in my local ham group to identify an alternative

I was told about log4om and I did some more investigation on it.
Basic requirement was a software functionally completed (I know what I need), adopting recent technologies,having a large and active forum community.

Why a community ?

Because users ensure a software to be continuously talked about , identify requirements , appreciate good functionalities and freely dislike what they do not appreciate.

So I registered myself to log4om forum and I discovered that the forum has a well structured organization, composed by many users, developer, customer support, alpha and beta testing groups, data gathering expert: all what you need to go forward.

Forum started at jan 2013 and at today, statistics are: Total posts 3781 Total topics 631 , 359 users.

The Forum at http://www.pisto.it/forum/index.php is really a living knowledge base and new topics are treated in short time.

If you want to have a full picture of all the functionalities (really many of them) have a look at the excellent documentation at http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/ , download the manual and have a look at the index.

LOG4OM is still at the beginning of its life (1.16 is available to ham community and 1.17 in beta) and many mantis will be included in the next releases for sure.

The evolution process will make this excellent software even more user friendly, robust, and easy to use.

Try it, you will be impressed.

W7DRM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Great logger, best & easy to get started  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have returned from about a 15 year break in ham radio, trying to catch up with technology. One of the first things I set out to do was get a new logging program, understanding that they now integrate with clusters, CAT control, and integration with online services such as QRZ, HRDLog.net, LofW and others. I read many reviews here on eHam.com and based on the review and popularity I downloaded, installed and test drove three different programs. Log4OM was the best for my needs. I've had Log4OM installed and working for about a month now and I am amazed and dazzled more each day I use it.

I should mention, I have a background in software development, having run the software development operation for a windows vertical market, with a heavy emphasis on intuitive design and ease of use. So I tend to appreciate well designed software.

Log4OM stands well above the other 2 very popular packages which I tried. Its strong points are:
* Easy installation and initial setup. This is in stark contrast to the other two programs I tried.
* Very user friendly main program user window, with multiple tabs immediately available to change operations, (QSO records, Clusters, Cluster scanner, etc) without leaving the main upper portion of the window where you log the next QSO.
* Very easy integration of the cluster to the logging function. Click on a cluster report, all the info like callsign, freq, (lookup info from QRZ or HamQTH) name, QTH, etc, is instantly filled into the log entry area. To log that QSO, just need to press ENTER key or Click ADD button. Could not be simpler.
* Instant feedback of previously worked stations. If you enter a callsign into the upper QSO log area, or click on a cluster report, you are instantly shown below a list of previous contacts with that station. If you have worked that station on the same band, a message to that effect will appear next to the call sign. In addition, if you are working a contest, you can easily check a box on the Contest tab to put the software into Contest Mode and specify a contest date range. Now this search for previously worked contacts will be narrowed to the date range of the contest! Very slick.
* Cluster report grid has very flexible and customizable colors to denote stations worked, stations worked on that band, countries Not Worked, Band Not Worked, Mode Not Worked, and even change the country, band and mode color criteria by "Worked, or QSL'ed, or eQSL'ed, or LotW'ed, or QSL'ed OR LotW'ed. In other words, if I have my criteria setup to 'Worked', Azores on 10m SSB might show up in Green - meaning I have worked that country, band and mode. But if I change the criteria to 'QSL'ed OR LotW', Azores might show up as red, meaning I have not verified Azores or received a QSL from that country. Same on band and mode. In other words, you can get very fine resolution in your cluster display, for what you have, and what you need. These criteria are easily changed with a convenient tab to the right of the cluster grid.
* Easy access to additional info on a callsign. Enter a callsign or click on a cluster report - want more info on the contact? Just click on the "Lookup" button to the right of the QSO entry area, and depending whether you have QRZ or HamQTH as your external source set, a built in browser window will open with the contacts page, or if you have Ext Browser selected, an external browser tab will open with the contacts QRZ or HamQTH page displayed. This is especially valuable if you are running two or more monitors, which I highly recommend. i use the Ext Browser feature and the contact information opens in my far right monitor without covering any of the Log4OM program windows.
* Very useful main window using the first tab - "QSO Information (F6)", which shows 3 things - all relative to the callsign entered - 1) the gray line map with the location of the station I have entered, 2) already worked records of that staion, and 3) a nice grid of what bands and modes you have worked (X on grid) or confirmed (Check mark on grid) for the country of the callsign entered.
* Flexibility to have everything in one window, or launch axillary windows for a multi window arrangement for wide screen or multiple monitor usage. If you want cluster info displayed separately (which I do) you can open a separate cluster window and position it away from the main program window. I have this cluster window set up to the right of the main window. Other sections, such as the display of previously worked contacts can be "detached" by clicking on the Detach label to open a separate movable and resizable window for displaying records of previous QSO's of an entered callsign. Same with the country worked grid and others.
* Integration with many internet services. You can elect to have the program auto upload new QSO's to eQSL, HRDlog.net, ClubLog, and HamQTH, one or many. Also able to upload and download to/from LotW via easy to use but manual operations.
* Very nice "Statistics" function where you can query your award statistics, like number worked and confirmed for DXCC mixed and all the separate bands and modes, among other awards. While in this window and its grid view, click on a grid - such as country and band and you will be presented with a list of your QSO's that fit that criteria, which makes it easy to track down confirmations. Also has a country worked map, a QSL confirmed map and WAS grid.
* A very well written, comprehensive English Instruction Manual, in pdf format.
* Excellent tech support. I had trouble getting my LofW confirmed QSO's to download and Terry (G4POP) was very helpful and had the problem solved in short order. There is also an active forum where Terry and the author respond quickly to questions and suggestions on how to make the product even better.

Sorry for the length, if you have read this far, I encourage you to give Log4OM a try. So far, there is nothing I have looked for which the program cannot do.

73's
Doug (W7DRM)

CT1BXX Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 04:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Log  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
This log is the top.
I have used several ( commercial and free) but no other one has such the functions we found in Log4OM. In other hand the assitence that we can have in forum is second to none, and I am talking about a free software!
Please check forum, and you will found what I am talking about.
In Youtube there is some instructional viedos where we can learn in a very easy way some functions.
My thanks to all the team for this nice tool .
73 CT1BXX

K2CMH Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2014 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Top notch!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to repeat all of the great features of the software, but I do want to mention one thing that has really impressed me, and that is the quality of the user's manual. The manual is head and shoulders above anything that I have seen, commercial or otherwise. It is very clear and full of screenshots and diagrams, and best of all, it is kept up to date!!! Most free software tends to have manuals that are a second thought and not kept up to date, this is a refreshing change to see.

W5UY Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 05:14 Send this review to a friend
One great logging program  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Log04 for several months. Some difficulties encountered in getting program to work with fldigi, but have been completely resolved. Daniele and Terry are absolutely great on getting issues resolved! Program has many options as well as a group of dedicated users. You will never be sorry you gave this program a try.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 13:29 Send this review to a friend
my second review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I reviewed this very favorably back in July. Then I got a hair up my... whatever, and just had to try an expensive and elaborate logging program. I've been using that for the past couple of months and I must say their tech support was pretty great. But there were three windows I had to bring up to get all the stuff going on my computer: the radio frequency connection, the logging program itself and the DX spotting program. I said, what the heck, let me go back and see what I can do about this to simplify life. Found Log4OM and am running it again. It's simplicity is what I like most. Still a couple of things to learn about it but it's once again a pleasure. The $100 program I invested in will stay on my hard drive just in case.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Logging Program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will throw in my review of the Log4OM logging program along with the others. I guess I have had this on my Dell laptop right at, or maybe a couple of months over a year now. When I first saw this program I wasn't even looking for a logging program. Why would I need a logging program when I was using Scott N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log. However, I was intrigued, this program had a lot going for it, not just a logging program, it has a DX spotter, enable rig control, plus a host of other functions, so I thought, well, I'll download it, ya never know, Scotts program is great, but I could never get my IC-756 Pro III to mate with Scott's program. So, there it sat, in my computer for several months, until...until I got my new back up rig, a Kenwood TS-450S, I was playing around with the 450 ine day and thought, why here is a chance to try that logging program I downloaded several months ago! I ordered a cable, no trusting my skills any longer to homebrew a cable, besides, I had the new cable in less than a week, what's a few more days to wait to use something that has been sitting idle for months now. The cable arrived, I connect the cable to the computer, and to the 450, got everything det as per the instructions. Wouldn't ya know, the dad gum thing works...well I'll be dipped, wow, does this program work, and it works very well I might add. I can customize this program to suit my needs, only use what I need to and forget the rest, if I want it on there its just a couple of mouse clicks away.

I still use Scott N3FJP and the Amateur Contact Log with my ProIII...why...I keep asking myself that same question...why, maybe becaue Scott's program was the very first logging program I had ever tried or used. Still, evrytime I use my TS-450S I turn on the Log4OM program and log my contacts with this program. Really now, all it would take is a click of the mouse and I can be using both rigs on the same logging program...so why don't I, guess I'll just have to start wont I.

This is one of those programs where they just work, they work well, and best of all...its FREE! This is with out a doubt one of those programs that gives a hell of a bang for nothing, it isn't difficult to set up, is very customizable, has way more included free than some logging programs ya gotta pay up to $30 for. Are there better logging programs out there...sure there are, its what YOU the individual, your wants and needs of a particular program that counts, no one else, its what you want and need of a program, for me, Log4OM is and will continue to be a great logging program!

Thank you to all who have taken the time to read my review, I enjoy hear from anyone via email about this program. May God Bless everyone, I do pray that y'all have a great day!

73 de Mark