Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Expedition Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Expedition
Begali Expedition Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: A no-frills high performance paddle, rugged enough to be tossed into the bags of a DX expedition, but equally at home in any shack. Jet black titanium oxide finish, solid silver contacts, racing bearings and micro-threaded adjustments make this key a bargain.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Expedition.

K5ZZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 18:55 Send this review to a friend
A Class Act  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always used a straight key and took a lot of pride in being a brass pounder so I wasn't expecting to fall in love with a paddle in Plano this year. I had always respected the obvious mechanical quality of the Begali keys but I wasn't prepared for the feel of the device I encountered. Even though I enjoyed my Brown Bros. straight key and had never used a paddle before, I found that I could use this paddle almost immediately at slow speeds and knew I could work my way up to a very fast rate very quickly. A month later I am so glad I made this purchase and I'll always remember the way Mr. Begali shook my hand, looked me directly in the eye and thank me very sincerely. A class product from a class family... Thank YOU Mr. Begali.... Russ K5ZZR

KB8CR Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 17:26 Send this review to a friend
So smooth !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after 28 years of CW, I decided to treat myself to a Begali. Learned CW on a Vibroplex bug, then many happy years with a Bencher BY-2. I must say that it is like going from a Chevy (very reliable and trusty) to a Ferrari (fast and very responsive). The action is so smooth, and accurate. I operate almost 99% CW and it truly was worth the money. I have no doubt that this one will last me another 28+ years.

CX1EK Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Begali Expedition # 045  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many keys through the years and this one is oustanding. The weight is perfect and the excellent precision racing bearings makes your fingers fly and tireless. Place the order and in one week was delivery via DHL at my home in Virginia.

SM6VYM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 14:47 Send this review to a friend
The King in my book...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Begali Expedition #47...

I donīt have much to say about it...I think itīs the perfect paddle!!

Excellent adjustments...magnetic tension is great...fantastic value for money...

Delivery to Sweden was smooth with DHL, took a few days and the packing were as serious made as the paddle it selfe...no corners cut here...quality all the way thru...

LB3HC Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2012 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Much better than my old Bencher  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up the Begali Expedition on Hamradio Friedrichshafen (2012). I also had the chance to speak to Mr. Begali himself. He told me about how he machines the paddles in his workshop. This paddle has perforated paddles machined in a very nice metal with a special surface treatment that is light but feels cold to the touch. I like that. The adjustments are very accurate. The spring system is magnetic. The paddles have roller bearings so they are stiff in all other directions. The paddle is also very heavy so it sits nicely on the table. A couple of improvement points would be: even finer threads on the adjustments, even finer magnetic adjustments, the jack connector I didnt like too much. Should be another type of plug on the padde or just terminal studs below the base. You can see it in use with my Arduino K3NG derived keyer at http://www.lb3hc.net/archives/1693

PA3CEV Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Amazing quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owning and having owned a lot of different keys, including other Begali models this is just another piece of art. Piero produces the finest keys and this one has the best value for money.

The size is perfect and the key is heavy so it will stay where you want it to stay, hi. The black finish is perfect, I really like it.

The Expedition has the typical Begali sound and tactile 100 % feedback on when the contacts are closed. This results in less mistakes and more relaxed hi-speed sending.

You don't have to go on expedition to justify buying this top of the bill key, you can use it in your shack too.....

G4SJP Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like a lot of people, I started 30 odd years ago with a Bencher paddle and have since owned the Palm Paddle and the Schurr Profi 2 which I have connected to my K3. I fancied something better than the Palm Paddle for my new Elecraft KX3 for those times when I'm not too bothered about the extra weight of the key.

The Schurr is good, and it's pretty too, but I have to say that for me the feel of the Begali Signature is better still. The titanium oxide finish is extremely classy in an understated sort of way, but the most important thing for me is how I send with it. I'm not a fast CW operator, normally I stick around 20wpm and if I go any faster I can't be sure that I will 100% copy the other station if he speeds up. Also as I go faster I make more mistakes sending, and for me on the Schurr 25wpm is as fast as I can reliably send. On the Begali I can send reliably at 30wpm, it is so precise and forgiving. So I think I had better work hard at getting my receiving speed up to match!
Communication from the company was a joy. I enquired on a Sunday whether they could deliver in time for a week the following Thursday. The reply was 'yes they can'. To my amazement it turned up on Wednesday morning having taken less than 24 hours to ship from Italy to the UK. This great service was followed up by a courtesy email from Bruna.

All in all a first class key and buying experience.

G4SGX Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Quality as expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered at the weekend online direct from Italy.
Arrived on Wednesday morning. Its been a long time since I've been to excited about a new purchase and wasn't disappointed.
The colour choice, (or lack of it) was no problem, it matches my K3 perfectly.
Firstly the weight was good, much heavier than my previous cheap paddles, no movement even with my heavy hand and the operation was 'tight' with no ambiguity.
My sending has already improved, nearly up to my reading speed. (This was why I invested, I was having trouble sending reliably at my normal reading speed of 22wpm.)
I suffer from bad cramps when using a straight key so the more relaxed style of sending with a iambic appeals, once I've mastered it properly although it is a learning curve.
I just love practising with this key and wholeheartedly recommend it.