Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W8AMZ 160 METER REDUCED 1/2 SLOPER Help

Reviews Summary for W8AMZ 160 METER REDUCED 1/2 SLOPER
W8AMZ 160 METER REDUCED 1/2 SLOPER Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: Only requires about 45'-50' for usage & no ground radials.
More info: http://WWW.W8AMZ.COM

You can write your own review of the W8AMZ 160 METER REDUCED 1/2 SLOPER.

KJ4WAS Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I learned of this antenna from a friend (N3JTN)in early December last year. Had wanted to get on 160m but didn't think I had room on the property. So, I called Tom and we had a nice talk about it. Very nice man and very helpful. Sorry to say, he passed 10 days later. I put the antenna up 47' in an Oak tree, used an 8' ground right under the coil and ran a single radial under the antenna with #14 stranded primary wire out. Works super;Canada and Jamaica, are in the log. Had to trim over 10' off for resonance on 1.920mhz. Great Product. Very happy. Have heard Europe, no contact yet, but waiting. Jim (KJ4WAS)

K9DY Rating: 0/5 Apr 29, 2014 11:37 Send this review to a friend
No Joy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna based on the eham reviews. I was apprehensive since Tom had passed, but his site was still active and accepting orders so I bought one. It was delivered within a week. So far, so good. I have no tower, so I had to install the antenna up 45 feet in a tree, and ran the ground wire to a 10 foot copper ground rod at the base of the tree. I also ran a 70 foot radial beneath the antenna attached to the ground rod.

I am feeding the antenna with approximately 225 feet of RG8 (9913) and an additional 100 feet of RG8X. I worked for several days to get the SWR to match on the low end of 160. The best I can get is abut 3 to 1 at the high end. At the low end it won't even register on my meter.

I did everything that was suggested on their web site with zero results. I even took the entire thing down and tried heights from 30 to 45 feet, varied the length of the antenna leg, raised and lowered the antenna leg angle, used it with and without the radial and varied the length of the coax. I even wound a coaxial balun and inserted it in the line. Nothing helps.

I don't know what else to try. I suspect something is amiss in the sealed coil section. I wrote an email to them and also left a voice mail. No response.

If anyone has an idea what I can try it would be appreciated. I am on the verge of just sending it back.

NS3L Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna...!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very well built, and high quality Ham Product...!!

Thumbs up and thanks go to Chris @ W8AMZ Amateur Radio Products who took over after the passing of Tom W8AMZ (SK) recently..

Concerned about ordering from a company whom the founder Tom W8AMZ (SK) had passed, I contacted and left a message asking if orders the products were still available. Chris @ W8AMZ returned my call a day or two later assuring me the company was up and running. Chris and I spoke about ordering the 160 Sloper, and he mentioned they were in stock and ready to ship....

Understandably, with the passing of Tom, Chris has his hands full keeping up with the orders.. I'm glad to say if you choose something and order it from the website, it will get filled and sent out quickly. As I stated above, Chris said the antenna was in stock and that day I ordered a 160M 1/2 Sloper and it arrived just a few days later.

After years of wanting to get on "Top Band" once-and-for-all, I finally purchased something to really work 160 Meters.

This past weekend I completed installing the W8AMZ's 160 Shortened 1/2 Sloper. I installed it up 45 feet high at the top of a broken (top) spruce tree sloping down to about 15" feet above grade pointing west. A counterpoise drops vertically to a ground rod at the bass of the tree. I'm feeding it with DX Engineering 50 ohm RG-8 Mini.

Although I realize this antenna is a compromised size, compared to my main wire antenna a 140 ft Cobra Ultra-Lite SR through a Palstar AT2K Tuner, It's night and day as far as performance.

I've had very good results right off from the first on air contacts. Reports have been coming in from stations saying I'm now 20 db over. Previously, some of those stations could barely be worked 30 miles away when I was using the Cobra.

This is a very well made antenna. Straight forward installation and, at the right height and angle works great. Follow the detailed instructions and have a plan. This antenna was rather simple to tune to 1,900khz center band by just trimming the main antenna a little bit.

Tuning was simplified as I used my RigExpert AA-54.

The end result is 1.5:1 on the center of 160M, and 40KHz either side of center. 2:1 on the band edges.. Can't ask for more. If I need to go closer to the band edges, it's an easy tune for my Icom IC-7600 internal tuner.

Final word.. If you've longed to get "Top Band", don't have the space for a full size 160M antenna, the look into the W8AMZ 160 Sloper.. Works for me. !!!

Steve NS3L
Nazareth, Pa.

N3JTN Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 12:22 Send this review to a friend
160 very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I then got the W8AMX 160 M reduced 1/2 sloper, hung from my 40 foot tower and works very good got in to Md/Pa/Wv/NC/Ny/Can very happy.......

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2013 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good solution for small yards  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally got my 160m 1/4 wave sloper tuned ok (need to shorten it slightly) and worked my first four stations on 160 this morning. Did well to Arizona 57-59 reports and super well to Nevada 59+10 running 250W. It received pretty well too as all the people were also 59 except for one gentleman. Made four contacts so now I know it works. Reports were very complimentary. I am running it with a triex WT51 tower extended to 40' on a canyon edge that is 230' high.

Tom, W8AMZ, was extremely helpful with guiding me through the installation with multiple phone calls. I actually had to shorten the antenna 10' and I need to shorten it about another foot or so to get it centered on the DX portion of the band but regardless it is 1:1 at 1.800 MHz and it is tuned to about 2.0 up to about 1.880 with decent swr for my SPE 1k amplifier.

I am hoping this antenna also works for DX this winter. That would be super cool. That would be icing on the cake.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2013 15:14 Send this review to a friend
A KEEPER FOR ME! {:>)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my W8AMZ 160 meter reduced 1/2 sloper up for about a year now & am VERY happy with the way it works & the cost.Takes very little space & I use it attached to my Rohn 25 tower at about 45 ft.My local ham friends are amazed how well it works for something so small.I have plenty of room for a 160 meter loop but nothing on the corners of my property to tie anything onto so this was the easy route for me & I'm pleased with my choice.I would buy another one if needed & have suggested it to many others looking too get on the 160 meter band. {:>)

KD5PGA Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Performs "As Advertised"!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first wire antenna and concerned that I would not be able to tune the antenna like the more experienced hams out there. I was surprised that I was able to easily tune the antenna below 1.2 SWR around 1838. 100KHz range below 3.0 SWR.

160 Meters is a noisy band but I was surprised to make a JT65A contact in Maine (from Starkville, MS) on 10W! Looking forward to try PSK and RTTY in near future.

Great antenna!

K4KEW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2012 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After poor results from a number of Top Band home brew antennas, I thought I would spend the bucks and buy a manufactured antenna. Sure am happy I ordered W8AMZ's half sloper!

I called Tom on a Wednesday evening, paid for the antenna with Pay Pal and Friday (yes, just two days later!!) the post man brought me the antenna!

Hung the antenna off my 48 foot tower in my back yard, then took the end to a tree in my front yard. Took the ground wire down the side of my tower to a ground rod. Tuned the antenna down to 1.2 to 1 SWR.

Called CW (with 75 watts of power) and first QSO (from my Florida QTH) was with VE1ZZ in Halifax who gave me a 589 RST!

Great antenna which easily fitts in my little city lot!

KC5BHM Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tied this antenna to my IC-745 with the MFJ-993b tuner at my home away from home. Took longer to drive the ground rod than it did to hang the antenna and fire up the rig. Hit the tune button and the 993b tunes 10-160m with 1.0 or better SWR with 75ft of RG-8x. Made contacts as far away as Iceland and Venezuela from Texas on the first night!! Got another one on order to use at my home QTH. If you need a great, inexpensive antenna and are short on space, this one is the way to go!! 73's KC5BHM

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 16:22 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Product! }:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am AMAZED at how good this antenna works the TOP BAND.I just wanted on the band for local & maybe a few contacts across the lower 48 states.It works DX as well & it takes up so little room.It is hanging at 45ft from my Rohn 25 tower is tied off at the foot of one of my wooden guy post.Takes up no space in my yard & requires NO GROUND RADIALS! It put me into operation on the 160 meter band at a VERY low price & with a respectable signal as well at a VERY "REASONABLE" price.Tom is making a GREAT product for a low price & gives hams with small lots a chance too operate on 160 meters with a signal that MOST will be VERY "PLEASED" with.{:>)