Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Help

Reviews Summary for DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA
DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: Gain: 2m:4.5dB 70cm:7.2dB
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50.html

You can write your own review of the DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA.

GM1EXK Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2015 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Great design and quality but tuned slightly off band for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just installed a Diamond X-50N (non A version), which is the version with an N connector and designed to be resonant in the middle of the UK 144-146MHz band.

The antenna performs well and the design and construction are excellent. The mounting tube effectively keeps water off the connector, and recent versions now come with two screws holding the antenna to the mounting tube.

The only downside for me is the pre-tuned resonance. Putting an analyser on the antenna shows the tune point to be about 148MHz where it's nearly 1:1. At the top of the band (146MHz) it's 1.3:1. By 145MHz it's 1.4:1 and at 144MHz it's 1.6:1. Still acceptable and usable but quite annoying the 1:1 sweet spot is not at 145MHz!

The analyser on 70cm shows 1.3:1 at 430MHZ, 1.2:1 at 435MHz and 1.1:1 at 440MHZ but by 445MHz the curve shoots up and it's 1.7:1 and by 450MHz it's well over 2:1. Generally I'm happy with the 70cm SWR but again it's slightly higher in freq than it should be.

I don't know if A) They're all like this, B) Mine has been tuned a little off or C) my mounting location is affecting the tune. I have it on a pole where the bottom of the antenna just clears the apex of the building. The surrounding area is totally clear.

CT2IRJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2015 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi!

I have one of these great antennas for about 12y. It worked flawlessly, but at about 5 year I've been away from the hobby and didnīt gave it much use.

Now I'm back, and when i tried it again it was showing a bit of SWR on 2m.
One of the matching network capacitors was in bad shape.
I wonder if anyone has pictures of the matching network and the caps used in it.
if so please mail to sal.fresco (at) gmail.com

Many thanks

Sal
CT2IRJ

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Super...  Time owned: more than 12 months
14 months now and no complaints at 35 feet or so. I can hit a repeater near Santa Clara which is just over 100 miles with hilly/mountainous terrain between us. White noise but understandable. Great antenna for 2 meters/440 mz. No tuning feature I especially like.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 11:50 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this big brother to my already owned x30.. I needed another antenna for a second radio. I decided on the x50 for performance and price.. it hits all the repeaters I need it to with a higher gain than the x30.. well built,good fit and finish,stainless u bolts. what else to say....... for the price vs performance.. this is a winner..

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Best on the block...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had mine up only two months but so far no complaints. Works all local repeaters out to 100 miles without a problem. I like the no tune feature. We haven't had much rain so far but hopefully will eventually. I'm sure that shouldn't affect this antenna much. I have a Diamond on my HT and this one seems to be of the same excellent quality. I'll do another evaluation somewhere in the future.

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 02:31 Send this review to a friend
good and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always run diamond antennas for VHF/UHF, my interests are on other bands but being involved in ARES, RACES, other things I'm involved with, NTS, public service, unfortunately I just can't get away form needing something for VHF anyway. I've run a few different antennas over the years through oves and what not and now run the X50, up about 20 feet off the ground. For what I use ti for, it does what I want, I run LMR-400, have one on the front of the house for the radio in the living room to monitor repeaters for clubs I belogn to, and I have an X30 on the back of the house, same height for the radio in the shack and for what I do, I can't complain about either one. They're well made, I know more people than I can count running them as go kit antennas or the every day antenna, sometimes even both, not one has any complaints. If you, like me, aren't really supposed to ahve antennas up, it's nice then too because it really doesn't stick out all that much. I have people asking me now when I put it up and it's been there almost a year. I've run ti at many special events and go kit setups over the years as well, this antenna is probably 7 or 8 years old I just never used it in a permenent install until this QTH. It ahs a lot of traveling miles on it to local events though.

G0SLQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2012 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Stormproof!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first VHF/UHF cost 50gbp in 1989 or thereabouts and stood at 30ft above ground for years. Still works remarkably well for local/semi local 2/70 as well as RX on various others (airband, pmr etc.) if only every antenna lasted 20+ years in the wind on a hilltop location.

Ideal for general monitoring, i.e. non-directional. I use mine with Westflex 103 to mimimise losses at UHF. Can only compare it to a slim jim (no comparison) as never needed to purchase a replacement. A tough, compact antenna built to last and take any weather punishment.

Superb fibregalss co-linear and would replace like for like in the even of it failing any time soon.

IZ2EAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 14:00 Send this review to a friend
I bought another one  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review; in fact, I bought a second X50, this one is for my main station in Milan, Italy. The first one is still going strong after more than 10 years of service in my vacation house, on the mountains, 700 metres above see level. This is really a set-and-forget antenna. Great performance too.

KD9VI Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2011 18:46 Send this review to a friend
great little antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought it second hand (new to me!) ... I really can pull in the repeaters on both 2m and 440. My signal is clear on low power when my homebrew was picket fencing on higher power.

WD9HOT Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for antenna restrictions  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have antenna restrictions and must use indoors this 5 foot 6 inch gem works so much better than Gerry rigging a mobile antenna.