Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Help

Reviews Summary for DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA
DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $99.99
Description: Gain: 2m:4.5dB 70cm:7.2dB
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50.html

You can write your own review of the DIAMOND X-50 2m/440 ANTENNA.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Rugged!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had my 50na up for almost a year now. It is mounted 60 feet up on my tower, high in the mountains of Wyoming.

In this short year, the antenna has experienced winds approaching (and gusts OVER) 100 MPH, temperatures of -43F, and relentless UV in the summer. So far, looks and works great.

Just had it down for a coax replacement (faulty connector, not the antennas problem) and got to inspect it. No single issue I could see.

Prior to this I was using a dualband Larsen antenna at a slightly lower height on the same tower. The performance difference is staggering at times. Can work out 60+ miles simplex on the 50na when the Larsen was limited to 30-40 miles.

Put it up, feed it decent coax, and play radio. It doesn't get much easier.

Brad

W8FOP Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Professional Quality!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Diamond X-50A recently and upon opening the package I observed that the antenna is of top quality in materal and workmanship.

After a very simple assembly process (about 10 min), the antenna was mounted to a mast pipe and errected. Once in the shack, the design and quality was realized with a low SWR on both bands and first class reception on both simplex and the repeaters. This antenna is HOT!

If you want quality performance at a very fair price, look no further. I'm as picky as they come and I rate this one A++++!

OZ1KNJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Exellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The X-50 is an amazing antenna compared to its size. Low SWR and very good reception and transmitting. Never had any problems with it. Its definitely better than the X-30, which I also have had.

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2009 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Carefree  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been up for 5 years. No worries. Does an excellent job.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2009 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Performing After Nearly 20 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the X-50 a long, long time ago. It's now at its second QTH for nearly ten years. At the time of the last installation, I painted the antenna to match all my others by using Rustoleum flat-black charcoal grill paint. The mast, gable bracket, X-50, and even the off-air HDTV antenna are painted flat-black.

Last year while performing roof maintenance, I disassembled the antenna feed for inspection. Diamond's use of a WX-proof aluminum sleeve is a flash of genius. The line and connector at the feed point still look like they were just installed.

Very pleased with the X-50.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2009 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Best Collinear I have owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been trying to get the most robust dual band base antenna with the most gain. Having tried 4 other antennas of various sizes, I found the X-50 to be the best.

I bought the one with the N-type connector and used Westflex 103 to keep as much of the signal as possible.

The antenna is "bomb proof" in so much as it is only one section, but it has a nice gain, which in real life terms is comparable with 2 and 3 section antennas I have tried. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who wants to simply put it up and leave it, without the need to keep going up to correct SWR issues becuase of joints leaking etc. on big antennas.

Would buy another one again without a thought.

KF6MNH Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2009 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Solid and reliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the X-50 for a few months now. I purchased it from HRO in Sunnyvale for right around $100. Its mounted on a Radio Shack tripod with 2x5ft RS mast elements, so its about 13 feet off the ground. With the built-in preamp on the TS-2000, every major repeater in Central California is S9+60 and I've had simplex conversations at least 50 miles away. You really can't go wrong for the price, get some decent coax and put it up as high as you can.

K3DLB Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2008 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna...works great!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it yesterday at HRO Delaware. I attached it to a roof vent pipe. I used a Radio Shack vent pipe mount. It's about 30 feet above ground. It replaced an old Cushcraft AR-270. Wow...what a difference. I'm hearing repeaters I never knew existed. I got great reports on simplex and on repeaters 80 miles away.

Very good quality. Easy to install.

K7JGB Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 20:18 Send this review to a friend
X-50NA (N-connector)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my fourth Diamond X-50, but this time I got the N-connector version. I installed the X-50NA in the attic and tested it with a Diamond SX40C SWR meter. SWR on VHF was about 1.3:1. SWR on UHF was off the chart. I change the coax, and I achieved the same results. I tested out my spare X-50 with PL-259 connector and I was able to achieve 1.2:1 on UHF.

I took the antenna back to HRO and swapped it out with a new X-50NA. I re-installed the X-50NA back in the attack and was able to achieve 1.2:1 to 1.3:1 on UHF and 1.4:1 to 1.6:1 on VHF. I am pleased with the antenna and the performance is great considering the location in the attic due to HOA restrictions.

-Joshua K7JGB

GI4SJQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2008 00:56 Send this review to a friend
The best vertical I ever had. Its indestructible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the X50 for about 20 years now. It been put up and down many times and always work very well.

About 12 years ago it was on top of my mast when the mast came down very fast. The top 6 were shredded as it rattled and bounced its way down the fence it hit. The chrome tip was still intact and after taking it of the mast and checking it out I rapped the tip of it in some self amalgamating tape and put some heat shrink tubing over it.

I just put it up last night after it lying in the garage for a few years. Put the bird metre on it and its spot on 2 and 70. Hope to have it at the top of the mast again soon. Its just a great antenna.