Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV3+ plus Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV3+ plus
Baofeng/Pofung UV3+ plus Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $69.99
Description: Compact 2W UHF/VHF handheld

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV3+ plus.

W6WAT Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the previous reviews....which I often take with a grain of salt....I can only say those with a completely negative conclusion haven't been able to operate the radio to its full potential.

I have an original Yaesu VX-1R, which this little Baofeng seems to have been inspired by, and I love the Yaesu. However, as others mentioned, the Baofeng doesn't receive AM. Oh well, big deal. I bought this as a Ham transceiver first and foremost, with wide band receive and other features for CONVENIENCE. Its task first and foremost is a transceiver. All the other features are bonuses! As a tiny transceiver, it works great! I'm able to use low power almost exclusively and successfully capture about 90% of the repeaters within 25 miles or so. The fidelity from the speaker is the best I've ever heard from any HT of any size. The transmitted audio is also quite good. And by the way, Hi Power is rated at 2w UHF. Others have measured 3w on VHF.

I own or have owned top of the line HTs from Icom, Yaesu, ADI, Radio Shack, Standard, and Alinco, and this little radio compares favorably to all of them. My favorite HT of all time is my Yaesu FT-530, but understanding all of its features and programming is a nightmare.

I get about 24 hours of mixed operating time per charge with the tiny transceiver, and extra batteries are cheap. I bought about a dozen of them for less than $5 each online. I also purchased some replacement antennas- dual band and flexible that have improved both TX and RX from the same vendor for less than $3 each. I might add that these antennas have no issues with mating to the transceiver body. They fit perfectly with no gaps, no washers necessary.

Programming is very easy once you know the steps. I was able to program 67 memory locations with repeater frequencies and PL tones in about 20 minutes. Then I uploaded it to the software (UV-X4), and programmed another UV-3R plus in less than a minute.

The dual watch works great. The priority watch works great. And, combined you can watch 3 frequencies simultaneously (well nearly simutaneously). Scanning is a just a tad slower than some other radios, but it's not really a scanner. That's just a bonus feature.

It uses a Kenwood style programming cable that also works with its brother, the UV-5 series. Kenwood style speaker/mics also fit. The LED flashlight may seem gimmicky, but it's actually quite handy, as is the FM broadcast receive. It has 15 dedicated memory locations for FM broadcast in addition to the 99+1 standard memories. It also has an interesting scan feature for FM broadcast. It will scan into memory, the first 15 channels it finds. The next time you scan, it will replace them. Or, you can just store your favorites.

The belt clip is strong and functional, the battery pack is similar to the UV-5 series in that it is a self contained unit that slides on and locks. It doesn't use camera batteries as the previous versions did. The supplied drop-in charger will charge the battery alone, or radio and battery assembled. It uses a USB cable and USB wall wart. I've not attempted to charge it from a computer USB port yet. It even comes with a decent earpiece/mic that has generated favorable comments on transmit audio.

VOX on its brother UV-5 series doesn't work well, but this one does! It works quite well using the radio alone or with the earpiece/mic. It has 0-9 settings.

The little radio has survived practical testing, such as drop testing, and even been run over by a car. I doubt my Japanese radios would survive that. Those who make comments like "this is a toy" have been disproven.

If there is a particular feature you simply adore and must have that is missing from this radio, why do you assume the radio is junk? It's not junk! I prefer it to all my others for a number of reasons, but predominantly because: it's tiny and powerful enough for most Ham needs, it's far less expensive than other brands with similar features, it has great battery life, and extra batteries cost about the same as a four pack of Alkaline AAs. YMMV depending on who you source.

All in all, this tiny radio comes in a nice package, and is a great performer. If it dies in a year or two, I'll be sad, and then buy another. Oh, and if you buy one of these or its sibling, buy the Hershey's kiss mag mount with an SMA connector for the car. It'll just add to the versatility.

KG4ZUD Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this thing mostly to monitor the local repeaters. It works great given the price and the size. It seems well-built, and the "plus" version can share programming cables and speaker/mics with Kenwood (swap accessories with my TH-F6a).

This is direct competition to the Yaesu VX-3R. It is a little larger, but has an extra 1/2 watt on TX. It receives quite nicely, and has a good sound quality. The FM reception using the included duck is quite respectable and should grab all local stations. I have found the following problems:

1) No memory names. The display is frequency only. The memory number is very small.
2) Scan mode will scan ALL programmed memories. No way to skip memories, so putting in the NOAA frequencies may cause you problems.
3) Scan speed is rather pokey (around two per seecond)
4) Antenna jack is SMA-Male, so you cannot exchange antennas with your other HTs. However, new antennas are quite cheap on eBay.
5) No way to copy memory to VFO, and no way to delete memories without programming cable and software.
6) Does not offer AM or SW reception like the VX-3R. Still, an acceptable trade-off at a quarter the price of the Yaesu.

All in all, this is certainly not the perfect radio, but it does quite well given the price. If you can afford a "big three" HT then go for it. If not, you can still have quite a lot of fun with this little thing.

WP4OEK Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Mini Lemon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio from ebay. Waste of money. RX is BAD !! Looks like a toy. This is what you get for $43.00, a Toy. You need programming cable to set this radio fast. Without the cable it's a real pain ! I trade it for a Cobra 29 NH ST and an Aries base microphone from a local HAM radio operator.

KG4FET Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2013 14:07 Send this review to a friend
good for B/U  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial impressions.
The owners manual is CRAP!
It seems to a good radio as a Back UP not for as a primary radio. I bought it for 70CM to use as a cross band RX'er for my TS2k and it works very well for that. It will be a good Hamfest HT.
Manual programming of memories is fairly easy, but features mentioned in the manual such as scanning are just that,mentioned, no explanation of the 2 modes or how to scan. No mention of how to switch between VFO and Memory mode, only that you can. Haven't figured out scan yet but did the MEM/VFO. If you are afraid to push buttons to figure out what they do DO NOT BUY this HT

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great for $60  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had mine for about 6 months. It works FB and the spare battery was $8 (shipping included). I have no complaints with it, although the directions could be a little better. But, when you put it into a dollar perspective with YKI, it beats them all hands down.

KF6HCD Rating: 0/5 Jan 6, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
This replaces my initial review. After six months, all buttons failed. No more Baofengs for me.

Avoid these junky pieces of fecal matter like the plague.

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2012 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the UV3+ plus about 2 months ago, and it's never left my side in that time. I also own a Yaesu FT60 but this rig is much smaller and lighter in comparison, I take it everywhere with me. You can listen to a commercial station and when the ham frequency you are monitoring breaks the squelch it switches off the commercial one and listens to the ham freq. till that one disappears and then switches back to the commercial one again, brilliant! It's easy to program with the usb lead and is very rugged in construction, so should last quite well, in fact I am going to order a 2nd. as a back-up.