Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX Reviews: 132 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $530
Description: A professionally engineered High-Quality,Heavy Duty, Light
Weight, Plug and Play no tuning necessary SIX amateur radio
bands 20-17-15-12-10-6 meters broadband hexagonal beam wire
antenna.Easy and quick to assembly. Made from high quality
components. Antenna designed by G3TXQ and made by SP7IDX.
More info on his website.
More info: http://sp7idx-hexbeam.eu

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX.

R2ADC Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2017 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent plug'n'play antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my update to review I wrote earlier. I installed antenna (I had another hex beam last year and sold it) and worked on it.
Basically this hex-beam is plug'n'play antenna, since it works right away, as soon as you assembled it. Assembly is very easy, all elements of antenna already made, you just have to assemble it for raising up.
It is very well thought through hex-beam.
SWR for all bands are low even on 2 meter height, they move to resonant frequency as you raise antenna. It even works at 2 meters above the ground, I tried to use with 12 watts power)).
SWRs across all bands are ridiculously low)) I do not know why "less than 2:1 SWR" is shown in specs for this antenna, since actual measurement are between 1.1-1.3 in most bands.
Bonus: it is resonant at 2 meter band (144 Mhz) if you want to use it)).

Performance is stellar - I got unsolicited reports for excellent signal with my mediocre 100 watts).

Highly recommend this antenna to anybody thinking to get a hex-beam. It worth waiting, since Waldi makes them to order and I believe he fixed logistics and delivery times for antenna.

K0CCP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2017 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this beam a year ago to replace a hex that I purchased from a dealer in the US. It was destroyed by both an ice storm and 80 MPH winds here in Kansas. Further investigation into issues with ice, I found that most hex's that are made here in the states should have ice lines which goes from the center of the spans to the top of the pole which gives the spans support in the center of the span where ice usually causes the limb to break. I thought long and hard about every buying another hex, but I wanted a multiple band single antenna that had a reasonable gain and not noisy like a vertical would be. When my beam worked, it worked great, making many contacts 8 to 12,000 miles from my QTH. I decided to take a chance with Waldi's antenna and am glad that I did. It is the best antenna for the price no question. It did take about 4 months to get it, but I ordered it in January and really wouldn't be able to get it installed until May, so the wait was not a big deal.

Construction of the SP7IDX is far and above the junk you can get here in the states. All the limbs are reinforced with an aluminum sleeve where it inserts into the mated limb. This will prevent breaking of the fiberglass limbs when there is ice. The connection pole is bulletproof, made from solid aluminum plate that has been cut on a water lathe. Connections are all stainless and the whole system is very light enough for one person to be able to move it around. Assembly took me about three hours, But I was by myself.

I placed it on a 40 foot aluminum tower with a roter and it operates flawlessly even when the conditions are poor. I always run barefoot: 100w or less. The signal is quiet. The beam is flawless and has survived several storms with winds to 60mph with hail.

For the price, you cannot beat the SP7IDX. If you purchase one in the states, you'll easy spend the same amount of money and you'll get junk compared to this hex.

OE9CBV Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna 5 stars  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for over one year for an antenna. Finally I found the HEXBEAM from SP7IDX.
The contact and support from Waldi is perfekt.
It took nearly 4 month until the antenna arrived. But worth waiting for.
The quality of the antenna is perfect. All the parts fitting perfectly together.
Waldi SP7IDX really has put a lot of effort in the build!
Building up the antenna took only 2 hours. You donít need to change or optimize anything. SWR on all bands is close to 1:1.2
Itís perfect on all bands from 20-6m.
From my side I can recommend the antenna. Itís the best what you can get for this price. The price not cheap but ok.

OE3OSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2017 23:59 Send this review to a friend
A great Antenna and great support from Waldi   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the shippment 2 Month after my order. That is totally acceptable for the quality delivered. I managed to break one of the mounting screws on the green mounting devices. Waldi was sending 2 screws and also 1 of the green clamps free of charge within 4 days! Thats Ham Spirit and professional support. Putting the Antenna on the rotor was a bit tricky, but we managed it. First QSOs are done and the performance of the Antenna is very promissing. My recomendation would be to assemble only 4 green brackets on the center plate, leaving the 2 ones next to the allenscrew for the Centerpost free, than installing the centerpost, having free access to tighten the big allen to fix the centerpost.
Next mount the remaining 2 green brackets. Thats much easier. I broke the srew trying to reopen the green ones. The manual should be revied anyhow. So at the end of the day all went well, performance is good. I would buy the Hexbeam from SP7IDX, Waldi again! vy 73 de OE3OSA, Otto

SQ6KPN Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Super Product  Time owned: months
Excellent antenna with a good price, , very good quality components.
I'm very pleased with this antenna.
High quality of materials
And last but not least Waldi SP7IDX is providing excellent after-sales services in case of any problem.
Very fast response from Waldi with any questions

GW3WCV Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2017 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Superbly Engineered - Worth the Wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Following a wait of some months the antenna arrived well packed and protected. It is solidly engineered and went together without difficulty. At a height of 8m SWR is better than 1.4:1 across all bands, no adjustment was required. Performance is excellent although evaluation on some bands has been difficult due to poor propagation.
Will post an update when I have had more time to evaluate this excellent antenna.

DL1RNO Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2017 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Super Product, no Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is very well thought out, easy to set up, tested in 3m height, all bands SWR under 1.5.
Please do not pay attention to the stainless steel screws, they will break down. This is in the nature of these screws.
The wait was 3.5 months, but it was worth it. I can only recommend further, Thanks Waldi

PA2RY Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2017 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna, long wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
like most people who wrote a review of this antenna (this version) I also had to wait quite some time before it finally arrived. 4 months and 2 weeks is (IMHO) way to long if you first say it will take 6 - 10 weeks.

That said, the antenna by itself is constructed as it should and as Waldi said it would be. Sturdy yet flexible, easy to construct and pre-tuned. Mine is 10m (30ft) up in the air and on the first night I tried it out on the bands, I worked Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil and USA on 20m between 8 and 9 in the evening (local time) with poor conditions (according to the indicator on the cluster). Not bad if I say so myself. Oh yeah.... I didn't use an amp ; just the 100W from my Yaesu.

Nice detail : there is no manual included. Every step you need to do to construct the antenna is done once and you have to repeat it 5 times yourself for the rest of the arms.
Comparing the hexbeam's "manual" to my Eantenna Moxon for 4 & 6m , I think this method works perfectly.
Not to bash Eantenna, but a bad manual is worse than no manual at al. Especially if you do it the way Waldi did with the pre-constructed parts.

All and all the antenna is worth its money and some. Just take your time and be patient. Maybe order it in October just to be sure that you're ready by the time it's April and the bands open up.

PC9DB Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello fellow HAM's,

After considering several antenna systems, I've decided that a G3TXQ broadband Hexbeam would suit my needs.

Why? All HF bands from 20 - 6 meters, full size elements while having a relative small footprint.
Also, it is considerable lower in price then most HF beams.

It is my first HF beam stepping up from wires and verticals and let me tell you that's a big improvement.

So why the SP7IDX........?

Well there were only 2 commercial options for me, but the price as well as reviews from other users made me decide to go for the SP7IDX one.

I ordered the beam in August 2016 and it arrived just before the holidays in december.

After arrival I didn't have the time to set up the antenna until March.

Setup is real easy and tuning is not required........ REALLY NO TUNING AT ALL!!!!
All was okay 2 meters off the ground and of course also 12 meters off the ground!

The quality of the antenna is superb, Waldi SP7IDX really has put a lot of effort in the build!

After setup, let's go on air! What a difference with what I was used to.
I was on air for 2 years and worked 155 DXCC's, 145 of them in the first year.

Now, after one and a half month with low sunspot numbers, I have reached 180 DXCC's. Almost everyday on air, I'm working a new one. Sometimes even two!

If you have patience to wait for delivery, then don't doubt about it and get yourself a SP7IDX Hexbeam!

Summary:

+ Good built quality
+ No tuning required, plug & play!
+ Full size 2 element beam so great performance
+ Great bandwith
+ All HF bands from 20 - 6

- You don't want to leave the shack anymore :)
- QSL costs rise skyhigh :)
- Electricity costs as well :)
- Only real minus is the delivery time! Be prepared to wait for half a year because everyone wants a beam and Waldi has too little time!

OK1FCJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 08:36 Send this review to a friend
great product - 5V7P expedition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased HexBeam from Waldi SP7IDX few months ago. I must admit that waiting time was bit longer than promised one, but it was one and only negative experience. Antenna come partially assembled I spent few hours home preparing it. I assembled it and due to my mistake, antenna with mast fallen down (nobody hurt). Waldi quickly sent broken replacement tube and suspected wire. All items come in time before 5v7 expedition where we used it together with SpiderBeam. One operator run HB another one SB. We have had no clear evidence which antenna is better. Both served very well our purpose. Thank you again Waldi for great product for DX peditions. We will use it again!