Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $530
Description: A professionally engineered High-Quality,Heavy Duty, Light
Weight, Plug and Play no tuning necessary SIX amateur radio
bands 20-17-15-12-10-6 meters broadband hexagonal beam wire
antenna.Easy and quick to assembly. Made from high quality
components. Antenna designed by G3TXQ and made by SP7IDX.
More info on his website.
More info: http://sp7idx-hexbeam.eu

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by SP7IDX.

PA2RY Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2017 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna, long wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
like most people who wrote a review of this antenna (this version) I also had to wait quite some time before it finally arrived. 4 months and 2 weeks is (IMHO) way to long if you first say it will take 6 - 10 weeks.

That said, the antenna by itself is constructed as it should and as Waldi said it would be. Sturdy yet flexible, easy to construct and pre-tuned. Mine is 10m (30ft) up in the air and on the first night I tried it out on the bands, I worked Puerto Rico, Argentina, Brazil and USA on 20m between 8 and 9 in the evening (local time) with poor conditions (according to the indicator on the cluster). Not bad if I say so myself. Oh yeah.... I didn't use an amp ; just the 100W from my Yaesu.

Nice detail : there is no manual included. Every step you need to do to construct the antenna is done once and you have to repeat it 5 times yourself for the rest of the arms.
Comparing the hexbeam's "manual" to my Eantenna Moxon for 4 & 6m , I think this method works perfectly.
Not to bash Eantenna, but a bad manual is worse than no manual at al. Especially if you do it the way Waldi did with the pre-constructed parts.

All and all the antenna is worth its money and some. Just take your time and be patient. Maybe order it in October just to be sure that you're ready by the time it's April and the bands open up.

R2ADC Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2017 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Must have antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have experience with hex beam antenna already, which got broken and after repair I sold it. So basically I wanted to have more solid and robust one. sp7idx hex beam was obvious choice.

First of all, Waldi is a great person to deal with. He responds very quickly and helps whenever this is needed. I contacted Waldi in December about delivery time, Waldi told me he would deliver in 30 days. I was sceptical about 30 days period (because of Christmas holidays, which take a week), but to my surprise he shipped my antenna even earlier!!! So antenna was shipped 2 days before deadline, I would think that Waldi improved logistics for manufacturing antennas and that is natural result of that. Have to notice, that another maker quoted 3 months to deliver, so sp7idx was obvious choice for me.

Antenna arrived well packed, was very easy to assemble, the only complaint I have heard about this antenna was that you have to install wire clips on antenna spreaders yourself, which takes about 20 minutes and a screwdriver :) since you do it by already assembled spreader.

The quality of antenna is outstanding (IMHO), since it uses very high quality parts and it is well thought from engineering prospective (I have diploma in engineering ))) ). It is very robust and strong I believe.
Highly recommend to order balun, since it can handle up to 1kW transmission power and price is really low (you probably spend more if you do it yourself). All the parts are marked, instruction is clear, so assembly is straight forward.

I will update my review later with extensive use.

PC9DB Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello fellow HAM's,

After considering several antenna systems, I've decided that a G3TXQ broadband Hexbeam would suit my needs.

Why? All HF bands from 20 - 6 meters, full size elements while having a relative small footprint.
Also, it is considerable lower in price then most HF beams.

It is my first HF beam stepping up from wires and verticals and let me tell you that's a big improvement.

So why the SP7IDX........?

Well there were only 2 commercial options for me, but the price as well as reviews from other users made me decide to go for the SP7IDX one.

I ordered the beam in August 2016 and it arrived just before the holidays in december.

After arrival I didn't have the time to set up the antenna until March.

Setup is real easy and tuning is not required........ REALLY NO TUNING AT ALL!!!!
All was okay 2 meters off the ground and of course also 12 meters off the ground!

The quality of the antenna is superb, Waldi SP7IDX really has put a lot of effort in the build!

After setup, let's go on air! What a difference with what I was used to.
I was on air for 2 years and worked 155 DXCC's, 145 of them in the first year.

Now, after one and a half month with low sunspot numbers, I have reached 180 DXCC's. Almost everyday on air, I'm working a new one. Sometimes even two!

If you have patience to wait for delivery, then don't doubt about it and get yourself a SP7IDX Hexbeam!

Summary:

+ Good built quality
+ No tuning required, plug & play!
+ Full size 2 element beam so great performance
+ Great bandwith
+ All HF bands from 20 - 6

- You don't want to leave the shack anymore :)
- QSL costs rise skyhigh :)
- Electricity costs as well :)
- Only real minus is the delivery time! Be prepared to wait for half a year because everyone wants a beam and Waldi has too little time!

OK1FCJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 08:36 Send this review to a friend
great product - 5V7P expedition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased HexBeam from Waldi SP7IDX few months ago. I must admit that waiting time was bit longer than promised one, but it was one and only negative experience. Antenna come partially assembled I spent few hours home preparing it. I assembled it and due to my mistake, antenna with mast fallen down (nobody hurt). Waldi quickly sent broken replacement tube and suspected wire. All items come in time before 5v7 expedition where we used it together with SpiderBeam. One operator run HB another one SB. We have had no clear evidence which antenna is better. Both served very well our purpose. Thank you again Waldi for great product for DX peditions. We will use it again!

SV1GFM Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2017 05:47 Send this review to a friend
excellent build quality   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After waiting for 4 Months to received the Antenna, have mounted it on a 9m Aluminum Mast with a RAK Alfa Spid Rotor on the bottom.
Total high 18 m above the ground. In 15 days who have the Antenna, have worked 4 new countries and over 60 new Band that was impossible to hear with my HyEndFed dipole and my Gap Titan Antenna. The build quality is amazing very high Tech materiales. I am extremely happy with this Antenna and have no believe the big difference and how easy to make contact in terms of my Antennas. But donít forget the long time waiting. You must have steel nerve. The best solution is if you buying the Antenna is to forget it for 4 to 6 Months.

BX3AC Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2017 00:31 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was surprised that the first time the erection was not required to be adjusted separately.
Very easy to setup.This antenna let me wait for nine months.
~~~~But worth waiting for~~~~

SV2ESW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2017 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is great. The materials Waldi is using are high quality and it is very easy to built. Since now, i was using home made dipoles and delta loop antennas. Since the Hexbeam i started really working dx realative easy. The antenna is fair and doesn't need much space. It is well tuned in all bands. Ready to play. But unfortunatelly i waited almost 5 months although the deal was 35 days. Thank you Waldi! 73's!

N3AJB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2017 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Best in Class  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Waldi's first hex beam worked so well I ordered a second one. This one is roof mounted at 37ft in a Colorado QTH while the first one is at 50ft at a Pennsylvania QTH. Even at 37ft surrounded by 100ft trees, it is a great performer. Like the first installation, the SWR on all bands is close to 1:1. The main reason I prefer Waldi's version of the hex beam (all have the same antenna characteristics) is the high quality of the design. While most hex beam designs use U bolts at the center hub, Waldi's version uses a robust clamping system to secure the 6 fiberglass spreaders.

With the Euro dollar exchange rate at records lows, the beam is a bargain even with the additional cost of shipping. Buy one...you'll love it..

JON

OZ1EHW Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2017 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the antenna (HEX-BEAM)for 20-17-15-12-10-6 Meter) in 5. April and was in the air after two days. this was very easy to assemble the antenna,
it took less than two hours to assemble the antenna,
and get it in the air.
Now came the big moment where i had to test the antenna, all band were with a very fine SWR. And big surprise, i could hear Japan and Australia, at 09:30 am GMT.with 4-6 S. Countries i could not work with my other antennas COBWEB and G5RV.
I think it is a powerful antenna,easy to assemble
strong construction,and works great.!
OZ1EHW / 5Q0X Tommy

EA6XQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2017 04:02 Send this review to a friend
good antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great antenna solid build quality.
Amazing preformance.
Spare parts at a very competitive price, without hesitation a very good antenna