Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | B-Square Engineering 10M-80M 66ft Terminated Folded Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for B-Square Engineering 10M-80M 66ft Terminated Folded Dipole
B-Square Engineering 10M-80M 66ft Terminated Folded Dipole Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $250
Description: B-Square Engineering is the first to offer a Terminated
Folded Dipole antenna, truly optimized for amateur radio
use. The B-Square Engineering Terminated Folded Dipole
reinforces that fact, an antenna that provides solid
performance and extraordinary value in one package. We
fabricate this antenna using high grade, super strong
STAINLESS STEEL CABLE. 1.5 ~ 30 MHz continuous coverage
WITHOUT A TUNER (for the 122 foot version, not reviwed
here). Excellent performance at low mounting heights. There
are no coils, switches, taps or traps to require attention
or cause problems. Terminating resistor uses the latest in
non-inductive thick film technology, a waterproof monolithic
package, complete with an integrated heat sink - A B-Square
Engineering exclusive! Use as a flat top, inverted V or
sloper. 300 watt continuous capacity. 800 ohm high impedance
feed, 16:1 balun included. Comes completely assembled,
center support, end yokes, and swivels included. All cable
connections are crimped and soldered. Following assembly
they are coated with high voltage motor varnish to offer the
very best in corrosion protection. Designed for zero
maintenance, yet totally field serviceable.
More info: http://www.b-squareengineering.com/TerminatedFoldedDipole.htm

You can write your own review of the B-Square Engineering 10M-80M 66ft Terminated Folded Dipole.

KB1TLC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2014 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Great multiband antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for an inexpensive tuner-free HF antenna which could cover 80-10m including WARC bands, mainly for digital use, so I did not require particularly high power handling. I have been intrigued by the TFD design and found B-Square Engineering's offering which is optimized for amateur bands.

I got the 66ft version, and I'm very impressed with the results. I have the antenna slung between the house and a tree, about 20ft up, with a DX Engineering fiberglass pole propping up the center. Without the center support you need quite a lot of tension to stop it sagging significantly in the middle.

To tension the antenna I ran the support cord over a pulley in the tree and used a storm door spring and washing line tightener (both from Home Depot) anchored at the bottom of the tree to set the tension. I can easily raise and lower the antenna in seconds with the tightener, the center pole just hooks on to the center assembly of the antenna.

Using the WSPR beacon mode, it seems to get out very well on 40-10m including WARC bands, with significantly more compromised performance on 80, as one would expect. Running just 50-500mW of WSPR from coastal Maine on 40/30/20/17/15/10m, signals have been received in Europe, South America and the west coast USA with dBs to spare. I'm currently building up some stats to compare send/receive S/N reports to see if I can draw more accurate conclusions as to the transmit performance compared with other antennas in use on WSPR. Will report back if I find anything useful!

The SWR is less than 2:1 on all bands, and most are better than 1.5:1. It is great to be able to QSY instantly between bands with no tune up required.

This is of course a compromise antenna and there will be some losses, but B-Square seem to have done a great job of minimizing these in the amateur bands. Recommended.

Chris, KB1TLC

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Build and Easy Installation.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here's my take on the 33' version of the B-Squared T2FD...A Real Winner! All assembled, quality stainless hardware and wire.Just unroll on the ground, add your strings to the snaps at each end and pull it up into position.15 minutes to install.
I hung mine as an Inverted Vee and the apex is about 20 feet up on a tree limb.
Have made CW and Phone QSO's on 20 and 17m and am well pleased with the performance and low background noise on receive.
Also quiet receive on the 80m CW portion and makes a really nice compact receiver antenna for a seperate transmit/receiver situation or with a TR switching arrangement on a transceiver.

K4SC Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to update my own review on the B-Square 66 ft antenna. I stated previously that it did not perform as well as my other antenna on 80 meters. I now wish to say that it does equally as well. I based my review on only two attempts which is really poor statistics. I have been using the antenna on 75 meters much more with my new to me S-Line and received and given very good reports. Overall I am extremely pleased with the antenna on 80 through 10 meters.

KK4AXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna up for about a month and I couldn't be happier with it. The center is up about thirty five feet with the ends ten feet off the ground. The noise level is very low and the SWR is 1:4 or lower on all bands. I have made contacts on 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 40m, 60m, and the 80m band running 100 watts. If you have room for only one antenna I would recommend this one!

OZ1DXI Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Very surprising  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I'm using this antenna with the feedpoint just 10 feet up and the ends just 3 feet of the ground. I'm impressed with the way this antenna is creating contacts for me.

I want the antenna up - 30 feet or so and will return with more info

If you want an antenna with fine performance on all ham bands and you Don't want to tune whenever you move frequency - this is a very good choice

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2012 07:53 Send this review to a friend
122 footer works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the longer, 122 foot version of this antenna and have had it up for several months now. I have it in an inverted V configuration, with the center at 50 feet, one end at 20 feet and the other at 25 feet. The antenna is a fine performer, and like the manufacturer claims, seems to indeed be optimized for the ham bands and seems to exhibit little or no loss due to the terminating resistor. I run about 400 watts SSB, and the antenna performs at least as well as a 140 foot dipole I had up fed with 450 ladderline on all bands. What is so neat about the B Square is that I no longer have to tune for each band, I can hit the band switch on the radio and talk. SWR always is below 1.5, and I get very good signal reports, at least as good as my old all band dipole. The only problem I had is that the antenna would twist in the wind. I finally added three more spreaders to each side and things seem OK now. You MUST keep this antenna pulled taught to prevent it from twisting in the wind and shorting out the two wires. Once I learned this, it has been a sterling performer, and being made of stainless steel cable, I think it will last a LONG time without problems. It is definately worth considering, and unlike the BW models, the longer length keeps losses on the ham bands to a non issue, and the price for stainless steel makes it an antenna that should last for many touble free years. On 160, it does work, but not as well, being only 122 feet long. If you are tired of having to fool with an antenna tuner every time you want to switch bands, this antenna is the answer.

AK4SK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Great limited space multiband antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have limited horizontal space and due to other constraints I am limited in height for a tall mast (other than expensive free-standing towers) and the groundspace required for radials for a vertical. I am a new ham and I was looking for my first base station antenna that was plug and play and also multiband to allow me to learn about the different HF bands and how to operate on HF. With all of these constraints and the criteria I wanted in an antenna the terminated folded dipole seemed like a good choice. I looked at G5RVs but decided against them because I didn't want to have to suspend the ladder line section away from my mast.I was attracted to B-Square's design because they took the time to optimize it for the ham bands compared to the traditional design that can be built or that is offered by other companies. They explain this on their website better than I can so I'll refer you to http://www.b-squareengineering.com/TerminatedFoldedDipole.htm if you're interested.

Over the few months I have had it I have been able to make contacts on the 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 40m, 60m, and 80m bands. I'm located in the southeast and most contacts have been in the US (including several out west) but I have also made several in the Caribbean, South America, and Europe. I have been able to hear stations in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and the Middle East but I just can't get through the pileups of people running 1kW into a beam pointed right at them (which is to be expected).

I am by no means an antenna expert or an expert on anything ham related. That being said there is a lot of bad press out on the web about the terminated folded dipole. All of its limitations are well known and easy to find on the web. It may only apply to a small number of people but if it is rightfully chosen amongst other antennas with an understanding of its limitations it may just be the best choice out there. It just so happens that for my situation this was and has been the perfect antenna for me and B-Square Engineering has executed it perfectly.