Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Kent Single Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for Kent Single Paddle Key
Kent Single Paddle Key Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Single paddle

You can write your own review of the Kent Single Paddle Key.

N4HAL Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been a user of several brands of iambic dual paddle keys, but finally decided to try a single paddle key. Glad I did! Found I would accidently hit the opposing keys on occasion and leave a little egg on my face when trying too hard during contesting
This past weekend during the cw dx event, tried it out and made it without as many errors sending At my age you need all the help you can get. If you haven't tried out a single paddle key do so. This Kent key is a beast, heavy, stays in place and adjusts very easily and stays there!
N4UFO Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2011 23:39 Send this review to a friend
Finally I have found my key!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For many years I used a plastic Ten Tec single paddle. (Model 607; similar to 605, 606, & 670) Never got the desire for iambic keying despite trying. In 2002 I developed a repetitive injury in my thumb (pain in wrist) and was sidelined from CW for a number of years. I dropped out of ham radio for a while and got active again in 2010. I had kept an old Vibroplex Vibrokeyer (single paddle), but either it needed something refurbished or I just couldn't adjust it. I always seemed to throw in extra characters. My thumb injury is likely to blame, so the trick was to find a key that would not allow it to be a problem.

I tried several keys... I had a Bencher BY-2, but still had the 'extra dit' problems. Ordered a Bencher ST-1 but it went right back... not knocking the ST-1 though. I needed something with tight spacing, but it is designed for former bug users that need something robust to slap on. Next I acquired a new Vibroplex Code Warrior JR and a used Vibroplex Brass Racer at a hamfest. The Code Warrior JR just wouldn't hold it's settings... the Brass Racer on the other hand, would, but I still had issues. A new Brass Racer didn't feel as good as this used one, due to the former owner setting the paddles so close together... it was the best dual paddle I had tried so far, but I still threw in extra dits and dahs when I shouldn't have.

Someone read another review of mine here on eHam where I describe my preferences & problems and e-mailed me to suggest I try a Kent SP-1. So when I finally found one on the well known auction site, I purchased it. At first, I thought I had found just another 'also ran' as I still had difficulty; even worse I had thumb pain. Then I realized the issue was the thin paddle. My thumb was traveling further than it was used to and that small bit of extra flexion was stressing the tendon.

So the next hamfest I found a flea market vendor selling some rather large round rubber feet. Almost as big around as a quarter and about a 1/4" thick. I placed one on either side of the paddle. Eureka! Full control and no pain. I eventually added a cut triangular piece to the downward point on the right side to give my middle finger something to contact with... it was just about perfect. The total thickness is just shy of 3/4" and has a very good feel to the touch. I considered a ham business that makes custom wooden paddles, but this seemed to be fine... and I have a whole sheet of rubber feet in case the stickum ever looses it's hold.

The last problem was dealing with the slight movement of the key base... the rubber feet it came with just didn't seem to grab well enough. It didn't slide exactly, but it wasn't solid... it had give. I cut out a piece non slip shelf liner (big box store, about $1 a roll) and that did the trick! It stays put, the thumb is happy and I only very occasionally have my dits get away from me; usually when I am calling at higher than normal speeds in a pileup. When it does happen, I shake out my hand and give it a second and all is good again. Or maybe bump the speed knob down a little. =^)

I like the looks of this paddle as well... simple, black and brass... something I could see in an old telegraph office. But I very much enjoy the 'satisfying clicks' and the tight feel of the SP-1... It was the answer for me, maybe it will be for you. Only thing I might ask the company to do is offer a 'thicker paddle' option... I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
N9ZI Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2007 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not a bad paddle - have been trying out a few keys and paddles last few months.

Seems to be sturdy & sends good cw. I don,t care for the finger pc arrangement would rather have one on each side, even though it is a single lever paddle.

My real problem is that I have the Begali Simplex Mono paddle and it is such a great paddle to use in every way.

Nuff said.

Terry N9ZI
KG9HV Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2005 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Good solid paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine came in kit form. Went together easy enough.
The real pain is when it comes time to adjust the
grub screws/nuts. This is crucial if you want the
paddle to have a tight feel. I replaced the original rubber feet with solid RS type stick-on
feet to remedy the "wobbles" and modified the
plastic paddle by attaching a knob off of a Ameco
K-4 much like the Vibroplex single paddle. I also
have the TP-1 which I prefer over the SP-1. Is it
a good single paddle? Yes. Is it a Schurr or Begali? No.
KD7T Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2005 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice Paddle, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A nice non-iambic key, but compared to the new Simplex Mono from Begali, there's just no comparison. although I rated this paddle a "4", I'd have to rate the the Begali a "9" or "10" in comparison. If you can spare the add'l $20 or $30 bucks for the Begali, I'd highly reccomend that over the Kent.
W9OY Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2004 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Delightful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to set up
Holds its set up
Stable on the table
Sends good code
Looks good on the table
No wobble or mushiness in the action at all.

Can be set pretty close with a light touch on the springs. It won't set up quite as close as my N2DAN Mercury paddle but its not off by much. It sets up better and sends better code than my Vibroplex Deluxe iambic or my trusty 50 year old Brown Brothers BTL. Compared with a Bencher BY-2, the Bencher is just a paper weight. I have not tried a Bencher ST-1 yet, and would be interested in the comparison. My other single lever paddle is the Ten Tec and there is no comparison of this paddle to the Ten Tec. The Ten Tec is basically a Cootie design and my Kent is far far superior.

I love the feel of the single paddle connected to the single lever arm much better than the wide paddles on some iambics. If I had a complaint it would be that the key clacks a little more than some of my other paddles. Not much of a complaint, given the quality of the sending experience.
G0CJM Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2004 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Built to last.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This single paddle key proudly bears the name KENT and was made especially for me. It is well made and i know it will give me good service. My key is not silent in use as i have quite large gaps, but it seems robustly built to take the heavy pounding that it will get in my hands. Despite its weight it still was found to move around the bench and frustrated my attempts to send good fast CW so i have now anchored the feet to the bench with super glue- it slides no-more!

I can manage 30wpm with some degree of dexterity but to be truthful any faster *for me* would not be a good idea. Mr KENT has done me proud.
WA8EDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2004 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Quiet & Smooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to all for your great reviews. I decided to try out a single paddle with a K-3 keyer, I found this beauty on E-Bay for a great price. Having been a Bug user since 1960, I can only say that I'm in awe of the incredibly silent, and smooth feel provided by this precision built and properly adjusted key. The Kent SP-1 and an electronic keyer Rules.
M5BRY Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 07:26 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a great key this is, well made and simple to adjust. Being a bit heavy handed i use double sided tape to keep it still on the desk. would definitely buy another or build one from kit form.
K6IOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I guess I'm just a 'single-paddle' kinda guy! I've been using a Vibroplex Iambic paddle [single paddle style] for some time now . . . but just can't seem to get used to the 'iambic' part of it.

Guess I'm too darn old to learn. Anyway, I really like the simplicity of the SP-1. It can be adjusted to give a very 'crisp' action.

If I had to fault it in any way it would be that they did not de-bur any of the sharp edges of the various brass pieces. As a machinist this sorta bugs me . . . but is easy to fix.

Also noticed the 'wiggle' from the soft rubber feet mentioned by a previous poster. I considered swapping them out for something firmer . . . but will wait to see if it really is a problem.