Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Kent Single Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for Kent Single Paddle Key
Kent Single Paddle Key Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Single paddle

You can write your own review of the Kent Single Paddle Key.

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2004 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Delightful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to set up
Holds its set up
Stable on the table
Sends good code
Looks good on the table
No wobble or mushiness in the action at all.

Can be set pretty close with a light touch on the springs. It won't set up quite as close as my N2DAN Mercury paddle but its not off by much. It sets up better and sends better code than my Vibroplex Deluxe iambic or my trusty 50 year old Brown Brothers BTL. Compared with a Bencher BY-2, the Bencher is just a paper weight. I have not tried a Bencher ST-1 yet, and would be interested in the comparison. My other single lever paddle is the Ten Tec and there is no comparison of this paddle to the Ten Tec. The Ten Tec is basically a Cootie design and my Kent is far far superior.

I love the feel of the single paddle connected to the single lever arm much better than the wide paddles on some iambics. If I had a complaint it would be that the key clacks a little more than some of my other paddles. Not much of a complaint, given the quality of the sending experience.

G0CJM Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2004 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Built to last.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This single paddle key proudly bears the name KENT and was made especially for me. It is well made and i know it will give me good service. My key is not silent in use as i have quite large gaps, but it seems robustly built to take the heavy pounding that it will get in my hands. Despite its weight it still was found to move around the bench and frustrated my attempts to send good fast CW so i have now anchored the feet to the bench with super glue- it slides no-more!

I can manage 30wpm with some degree of dexterity but to be truthful any faster *for me* would not be a good idea. Mr KENT has done me proud.

WA8EDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2004 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Quiet & Smooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to all for your great reviews. I decided to try out a single paddle with a K-3 keyer, I found this beauty on E-Bay for a great price. Having been a Bug user since 1960, I can only say that I'm in awe of the incredibly silent, and smooth feel provided by this precision built and properly adjusted key. The Kent SP-1 and an electronic keyer Rules.

M5BRY Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 07:26 Send this review to a friend
A Pleasure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a great key this is, well made and simple to adjust. Being a bit heavy handed i use double sided tape to keep it still on the desk. would definitely buy another or build one from kit form.

K6IOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I guess I'm just a 'single-paddle' kinda guy! I've been using a Vibroplex Iambic paddle [single paddle style] for some time now . . . but just can't seem to get used to the 'iambic' part of it.

Guess I'm too darn old to learn. Anyway, I really like the simplicity of the SP-1. It can be adjusted to give a very 'crisp' action.

If I had to fault it in any way it would be that they did not de-bur any of the sharp edges of the various brass pieces. As a machinist this sorta bugs me . . . but is easy to fix.

Also noticed the 'wiggle' from the soft rubber feet mentioned by a previous poster. I considered swapping them out for something firmer . . . but will wait to see if it really is a problem.

DON
K6IOU

W0NFU Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2003 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice, very nice  Time owned: months
Back in my early days - the late 50s, my first attempt to move from a hand key was a hacksaw blade sideswiper - "Cootie". I got to be fairly good with it and it worked surprisingly well with my first keyer. I think it conditioned me to a slngle lever paddle. Since then I've used several different dual lever paddles but my mind was set & I never really felt comfortable with them.

So, I returned to my roots & bought a Kent SP-1. I'm now wondering why I waited for so long. The workmanship is first rate & after several days of playing with the adjustments, I'm happy with the performance with the paddle & with my ability to once again send CW with less errors.

I would recommend the SP-1 to anybody. The workmanship is high, the adjustments are easy & appear to hold, and, most importantly, it's easy to use.

Larry WNFU

WA9YDJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2003 18:14 Send this review to a friend
My favorite key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the Kent SP-1 for about a month and a half now. I purchased it in kit form directly from R.A. Kent Engineers for less than the same kit would have cost from a U.S. distributor. Mr. Kent corresponded with me via email, and I had the kit in four days. The kit assembly was completed in less than 30 minutes. Although I own an excellent iambic paddle, I learned my keying with a single paddle Vibroplex and never really learned iambic operation to the point where I am confident. The Kent key just feels "right" to me (completely blows away the Vibroplex). Of course, this is a very subjective judgment. I was able to adjust the contact spacing to the width of a gnat's eyebrow, and the setting has held ever since. The Kent SP-1 is an elegantly designed key and is rock solid. Sending is virtually effortless and, with the close contact spacing, keying is essentially silent with no clickety-clack. If you have felt that you would need to spend $300+ to obtain a top quality key, I think you will change your mind after using a Kent.

K0KOC Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2002 12:20 Send this review to a friend
love it, great key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a Bencher Iambic paddle
for awhile and I liked it, but have always
been curious about the single paddle Kent.
Tried one out at a local Hamfest and fell in
love with it. I like the simple looks and the
lower paddle. Seems like I hardly have to move my wrist now. Its just a great solid key. It is definetly my key of choice.

AC4BT Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2002 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Well and looks and feels great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking to re-spark my interest again in CW so after reading some of the reviews here about the Kent SP-1 I decided to buy one myself. It came the other day and I was anxious and excited to get it hooked up. First of all, for those who are not familiar with this type of paddle, a brief description. It is basically an Iambic paddle with the dots and dashes automatically formed by pressing the paddle to the left and right. The only difference being the Kent SP-1 uses one paddle to do the dots and dashes instead of two. In this case, less is more! It is easier, in my opinion, on the wrist using one paddle ... less distance to travel, less effort. It is definitely a more 'natural' solution than the two paddle approach. The Kent SP-1 came assembled except for the plastic front piece which attaches quite easily using two supplied screws. I was disappointed that it was plastic, wood would have nicely rounded out this excellent looking paddle. You also need to solder on a plug, the cord is supplied but no connector. This was not a problem since most of us have a few connectors laying around. It uses three wires so a stereo plug is required. After plugging the paddle into my Kenwood 570 I was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is to sent CW using one paddle. If you are comfortable with an Iambic paddle, then there is no learning curve, in fact sending is a lot easier and faster. I had to drop down the speed of my electronic keyer to adjust. My only real complaint about this paddle is the time it takes to properly allign the two side arms, two front tension springs and the two back screws so that the feel is customized to the way you like it. What complicates this is each separate adjustment has an effect on the others so that you must adjust all of these in combination. A bit more documentation and/or tip sheet would have been welcomed. There is very little documentation except for a parts list and diagram. It took close to an hour of playing with tightening and loosening to get it just right. I made 5 fairly long qso's on 14 meters after hooking up the paddle and really like the feel of the Kent SP-1. I kept adjusting and alligning the paddle after each QSO and finally got it to where it felt right for me. This, of course, is a subjective thing and you may not experience the same frustration doing this. It has a nice weight to it and doesn't move at all on my table. I have no problems with the size of the feet as in a previous review. If you find yourself at a Hamfest where one of these is being demo'ed or at a friend's shack where you can try the Kent SP-1 out for yourself, do so! You'll probably end up buying one. I am very satisfied.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2002 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Solid, high quality key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a solid, high quality key. It is easy to adjust, too. Even though I have a set of iambic paddles, I got this single paddle so I could use my new electronic keyer, yet have less risk of hurting my bug fist. I want to continue to be able to use my Blue Racer and Mac key as my whims direct me.

I bought the key already put together (except for the plastic paddle) from AES. One very minor complaint is that the supplied cord did not have a plug on it, and it also appeared to be unshielded. (For a key at this price, this seems rather cheap of the Kent people.) I replaced it with the cord that came with my Logitech CMOS 4 keyer kit without trouble. Also, as per an earlier review, I replaced the small, soft rubber feet with a larger, harder set from the local hardware store so it would be completely solid.

I look forward to using this key for many years.