Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | CHAMELEON HYBRID-MINI Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON HYBRID-MINI
CHAMELEON HYBRID-MINI Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $199
Description: The CHA HYBRID-MINI Base is the portable version of the regular HYBRID. The unit can be differentiated by the color of the lid and the base connector, which is black instead of gray. The HYBRID-MINI is also smaller and about 50% lighter than the regular HYBRID. An external antenna tuner is required to provide a low VSWR. The connector provided with the antenna is a SO-239 sealed. The entire unit is also waterproof.

The HYBRID-MINI will serve as impedance transformer matching network and will greatly reduce the VSWR at the load for the following antennas: V1, V1L, V2L and MIL.

Specifications:
Frequency: 6M - 160M
Power: 500W SSB (1500W SSB 60 wire or CHA MIL)
RF Connection: SO-239
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Height: 7.5"
Weight: 1.5 Lb.
Mounting Configuration: 3/8-24 Thread

The antenna system consists of:

1 X HYBRID-MINI Matching Unit Base
1 X 60 wire (14 gauge)
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON HYBRID-MINI.

K9DJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Quality and it performs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was able to finally use the Cha-Hybrid Mini with the EXT and MIL this past weekend and made a contact in Uruguay on 10m SSB 100w. Over 5500 miles! Furthest contact yet for me. Band conditions were not ideal. Quick to to deploy. Carl @ Chameleon is very responsive, as well.

K2GK Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 20:21 Send this review to a friend
I like it de k2gk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
CHAMELEON HYBRID-MINI
Found it on a table in a long Island Hamfest.
I travel to San Antonio Texas a few times a year. I'm there for at least a week at a time so I have a station there at my Daughter's house. With the Chameleon Hybrid Mini I talk to my buddies across the Gulf in Florida like they are locals and back up to Long Island on a fairly reasonable amount of schedule.
And the kids don't get upset that grand Dad's screwing up the backyard.
Recommended to you from me.

K4FDL Rating: 2/5 Mar 10, 2017 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Not For me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this antenna with the Mil & the EXT, plus the Jaw mount. I've tried it for several weeks as well as just the cable. I've been in constant communication with Carl at chameleon and still doesn't work "for me". I've tried it in 3 different state (Fl, Ga. and TN). Different configurations and I've only been able to TX with just the wire.

The Mil whip allows me to receive but, I just have very little success "getting out" (TX). I've also tried it with my iCom ic-7300 with the same results (Home base station 100 watts). The majority of this testing and the reason for the purchase was for QRP (Elecraft KX3) but, I just get much better results with just the Chameleon wire or just 12 gauge speaker wire (58'/feet & 13.1' Counter poise.

So for now...it's just going to go in the "learned my lesson bucket" and continue to search for a better QRP solution for my needs.

please note that communication with Chameleon is rapid...meaning they're (Carl" is responsive) but, nothing helped...He is insistent that I purchase a Volt-meter...

WB0YD Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
intial test was good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought second hand from a fellow ham here on EHAM. I got 4 ground radials, the mini, the mil whip, 4 of the buddi poles that are 2' long, a guy kit the antenna wire and the jaw clamp.
I set it up on top of a 3' tall camera tripod.The mini and all the buddy poles and the mil whip with 2 counterpoises. I was running a small coax to my IC-7100 at 10 watts or so( no tuner) and it tuned right up at less that 1.5:1. From my QTH (EM12gi) i worked W5TC in Mississippi, he gave me a 42 report (i was just above the nose floor). Not bad for being low to the ground at around 10 watts. He was booming in at +10 over S9, but he was running a kilowatt or so.
It took about 20 minutes to set up the whole shooting match including the guy wires. It was just to see if it worked, and it worked well. Broke down and packed in 15 minutes.
Will continue to update as I use in the field more in the future.

VA3MPG Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Hybrid-Mini performed better than expected.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I am presently using the Chameleon Cha Hybrid mini with Cha Mil + Cha Mil EXT as a portable station in Haiti. I started operating January 9th and have logged 2,000+ QSO's with this portable antenna system. I am very happy with its performance having logged contacts from Europe, North American South American even Indonesia and Japan from the Island. I am operating as HH2/VA3MPG and photos of my portable set up and installation here in Port au Prince can be seen at both my QRZ pages. I have another 8 months here so will have plenty of experience with it before I return to Canada. I would recommend this antenna for any portable set up. I hope to add the Capacity Hat kit to the antenna in early June to see what additional performance it will provide to this already well performing antenna.

Chameleon Antenna owner
James

KD2FIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 16:14 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE 1 YEAR  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Hybrid Mini for a Year now and I can say that it has stood up to blizzards, heat waves, torrential rain and high winds without a single blip, burp or glitch.

Over the year I have improved the positioning of the antenna slightly. I've raised it up a little higher (still not able to get it to 30' up, but at 20' it is working remarkably well).

I added a counterpoise that improved transmission and really done little else in the way of 'tweaking'.

I contacted Chameleon to see if I would benefit from their CHA F-Loop(F-Loop PLus) Antenna (heck, you can't have too many antennas right?) Imagine my surprise when Carl told me that I wouldn't get much improved performance by going to a Loop. A company that tells you NOT to buy there product? Honesty and integrity like that goes a long long way in my opinion.

The HYBRID Mini works better than described, I can make contacts around the globe with a less than optimal setup and running QRP most of the time. My other radio is an ICOM IC-7000 at 100 watts. I break that out when things get tough to break through with the KX3 QRP.

The company is very quick to answer questions, give advice and won't steer you in the wrong direction. Pricewise, you can't complain at all. The unit itself is bulletproof, I still take it down every 3 months or so to re-grease the connections on the CHA MIL WHIP, but other than that, it's a set it and forget it antenna.

I regularly get RST reports of S10/9 with my KX3 (conditions permitting) and usually hear that my signal is solid. I couldn't be more pleased with this unit and the company.

If it ever breaks or wears out, I'm just buying a new one. The ease with which you can deploy this antenna, and the performance that it delivers is exceptional. This is an easy 10 out of 10 on any scale.

VK4JRC Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2016 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Works Well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Hybrid Mini lives in my off road camper trailer and can be setup as a vertical with MIL Whip and EXT, or with the provided wire radiator. My setup is a KX3 with HF Packer Amp and Elecraft T1 Tuner, works all bands very well with easy matching. Quick to deploy and take down makes it the ideal setup for my camper trips. Very well made with a quality finish from a U.S. Company!

W1TWS Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2015 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Well Made and Works as Designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit for portable operation. The unit is well made and works as designed.

I wish, that I would have, purchased the micro instead of the mini.

The micro is smaller, lighter, and would have handle my power requirements.

KD8OUF Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2015 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Portable versatile unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was debating between the hybrid-mini and the emcomm. The hybrid-mini won due to the versatility of the unit. It can be used portable, mobile, or as a base antenna depending on the configuration and accessories. I have used this standalone with the 60 wire in various configurations while portable at remote locations and used it along with the CHA V1 with my mobile rig and have had outstanding results. I have also used this at home with the CHA V1, CHA MIL, tripod, and counterpoise kit and made contact from Owosso, MI to Bassendean, Australia using the Kenwood TS590 @ 100 watts. I have not had any problems with any Chameleon products and best of all it is made in the USA. I have been very pleased with this setup and highly recommend it. 73, Kevin

WN6F Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2015 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Beefy with ground hint  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
*clarification from last review*

'm using the Hybrid Mini with a V1L whip for now as a replacement for my other picnic-table light duty setups, although it will obviously go heavier duty mobile. Very happy so far.

One thing to remember is that the mounting-thread is the *rf ground reference* of the unun! And the pic here does not show it, but you feed it from the side SO-239.

The reason I mention this is that if one is in a hurry and feeds it from the bottom of an existing mount rather than the provided side connector, that may lead to poor performance.

In some other circumstances, you may unintentionally isolate your radials depending on the mount:

For instance when I cannibalized my little tripod mount from an MP1 Super-Antenna, to attach radials, I used a banana jack to the MP1 tripod mount *center conductor* down below. The Hybrid of course is fed from the side. Had I attached my radials in the standard way to the MP1 mount terminals, the radials would just be isolated. Just something to keep an eye on and not be in a hurry.

For picnic table use, I chose the heavier mini version rather than the micro version to make it just a tad less top heavy in mild winds.

I choke it with my own MFJ-915 since I had it lying around and a small jumper near the *side* feedpoint so that the coax is not part of the radial system.

So far so good!