Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Argent Data Tracker3 OT3M Help

Reviews Summary for Argent Data Tracker3 OT3M
Argent Data Tracker3 OT3M Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $95
Description: New and revised model of Tracker2 OT2M, with additional features like USB support.
More info: http://www.argentdata.com/

You can write your own review of the Argent Data Tracker3 OT3M.

VK2XSO Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2014 06:17 Send this review to a friend
OT3m Digipeater  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a tracker, the OT3m is excellent.
Our club bought 10 of these units for use as remote digipeaters. 9 out of the 10 fail to digipeat packets from the majority of trackers regardless of signal strength. They work well if the tracker is another argentdata OT2 or OT3 but packets are ignored from all other trackers.
We reported the problem to argentdata but they have not been able to shed any light on the problem.
Our only solution was to offer a swap with club members who use OT2 as trackers for OT3m units and put the OT2 TNCs into service as digis, which they work fine.

We no longer use the OT3m as digis.

KG4HLZ Rating: 2/5 May 5, 2013 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Works but more hack thn produckt  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this unit for about 6 months. It does work. However, I have a problem with the software and with the service. The first problem is that the overall system is a hack job when it comes to features and not a real product design. There are some cool ideas on this unit. However, the system as a whole is not a well thought out product. Although there is a primitive scripting capability, it does not overcome the lack of flexibility in how these features can be used. As a result, if you are doing a project that needs these features, you are constantly trying to work around it. Another major complaint is that, although he advertises that the software is open source, the processer that he used does not have good open source support. You will need a $400 development environment to modify the code. Also, I had to take that unit apart and flip the shroud on the RS232 because it was upside down.

This problem with modifying the code is a major ethical concern for me. This is because we exchanged emails before my purchase that were clear that I wanted to mod the source. This issue was never mentioned. Also, even thought he advertized the open source code, he mentioned on his forum that he was considering taking it off open source. I donít think he can do with previous released code and it would be unfair to his customers.

Bruce
KG4HLZ

VE7KTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my ot3m for almost a year now. What can I say? This product works perfectly interfaced with my NUVI350. It has spent it's time installed in my work truck, in the lockable compartment under the centre jump seat in my F-350 quietly doing its thing with zero issues. I am using a vx170 to transmit and receive data and with the excellent digi network in northern Alberta I have zero issues with coverage. All my cables I bought from Scott and have had no issues with RF causing issues. Scott and Argent Data are top notch to deal with.

KB8ZXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Well thought out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the OT3 as a KISS TNC for an iGate at my house. So this review will be based off of that. First of all is price, the OT3 is priced towards the cheaper side. You can get cheaper ones but you can surely spend a lot more. Although the unit has USB I use the serial port. Configuring the settings needed for KISS is very simple. I have not done a side by side comparison but the OT3 does seem to do really good at decoding weak packets. So you might ask what is so special about this "KISS TNC". To me the way it goes in and out of kiss mode is the best part. I am able to remotely change it from kiss to "command mode". This allows me to send test tones, see decoded packets, send messages..etc. It has never fallen out of kiss mode yet. With the TT4 you need to power cycle the unit first to configure anything. That is sorta hard to do when you are not on site. Scott is also very easy to work with, although the web-site sometimes is a little lacking. I would but another one without question.

TA2RX Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 2012 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Digi is excellent but keep away from readymade cables  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My initial review of the product was:
----------
We had the OT2M in use for our club, GITRAD, for about six months. We were so happy with it that we decided to buy three more. To our delight there was a new and upgraded version (the OT2M is no more in production BTW). OT3M has got some new features like USB support and some additional telemetry input possibilities. We use all our Trackers as digipeaters and they do a perfect job covering our area, which is quite mountaineous. You can see our trackers in action if you search for YM7KK, YM7KGS, YM7KTP and YM7KAK in aprs.fi. We intend to buy another one as a spare, in case any of them has got problems. (We had some nasty lightning strikes in the past.)
----------

Lately I ordered one of the ready made cables so that we have got a full spare set (using a Wouxun HT) ready to replace any of our digis quickly in case of a problem (like lightning, etc.)

After waiting for weeks, I received a mail saying my order was now ready to be shipped. I told the seller I was expecting to RECEIVE the product by that date and he said he had somehow missed the order and discovered it again while reviewing the backorders. I had heard the same story once more with one of the TNCs we had ordered. So I suspect he orders the cables from China, AFTER he gets the orders.

After waiting for some more weeks, the cable arrived. We plugged it and gave the TNC a shot. It transmitted once but did not release the PTT. Even unplugging it from the TNC did not work.

I wrote the owner, he sent another one. The new one did not transmit at all. I wrote him again. Now he thinks transmitting once and not releasing the PTT might be a sign that we are getting RF back into the cable and suggests adding a ferrite clamp to the cable, reducing transmitter power, or moving the antenna farther away.

I reminded the owner, the cable was supposed to be made to transmit with a 5W HT to no avail.

If you are going to buy this product, be ready to assemble all cables yourself. Its accessories are useless.

G7EOG Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2012 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Wow a great bit of kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow this Is great, I started out my relationship with argent data by buying the gtrans cable to interface my Garmin nuvi 350 to my FTM-350 (Another great buy by the way) but on further reading and watching youtube videos I just had to give the ot3m a go, the build quality is second to none and functionality also. If your looking to interface your garmin nuvi with your radio then this is just what you need with full function digipeater and tnc capabilities as well.