Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W8AMZ Wire Dipoles & OCF (Windom) Help

Reviews Summary for W8AMZ Wire Dipoles & OCF (Windom)
W8AMZ Wire Dipoles & OCF (Windom) Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Depends on frequency
Description: Wire Dipoles and Off-Center Fed Dipoles
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the W8AMZ Wire Dipoles & OCF (Windom).

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I usually build my own wire antennas but after seeing one at K4BR's qth,I knew that I couldn't match the quality of the W8AMZ.Works on all bands with an antenna tuner and performs.Have worked many rare dx stations on 30 and 40.Highly recommended-K4IIE

W2GT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several of Tom's antennas and they are built like a tank. I feel we need to offer some understanding - Tom W8AMZ worked through an extended illness and then fell silent key earlier this year - He always had time to answer questions if called and he will be missed for sure. My understanding is that his wife is going to keep the business going, but did get behind this spring and summer. I always found the product top-notch along with their service, I hope they will be back very soon.

W2UIS Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2014 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Refund Snub  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Finally received a reply from the company after waiting four months but will have to wait for them to sell the returned product at a discount. Oh well lesson learned, do more research prior to making a purchase of any amateur radio product.

Their antennas are top notch. I use their G5RV Jr as an inverted "V" at 24 feet without any problems. I like this antenna so much a second was purchased and put in storage as a backup.

KG6EYC Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy and well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just recieved my Windom / Vertical Radiator Kit.

Construction is clean and very sturdy. The metal crimps on the center + cable ends make for a super strong link that won't pull free. The end insulators are high quality and the line is not only double-wrapped through them AND metal crimped, but also heat shrinked + epoxied at the ends so absolutely no water will get in.

As others have said its made here by a ham and not offshore. The website states that some parts are imported, but the only parts that I can see are the connectors which I can live with.

This isnt the cheapest dipole out there, but quality comes with a price, and its the little things that really make this product shine. I cant wait to climb up the tower to install this thing, because the way its built I won't have to take it down for 20 years or so.

Seriously, if you are looking for an OCF Windom do take a serious look at this product.

KC8KTN Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 19:52 Send this review to a friend
A great buy for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great buy for the money. I run a icom 718 only a 100 watts. I put up the antenna and my first contact on 40 meters was Trinadad Jamaica I had a quick conversation and got a good signal report. The antenna is made solid and of quality U.S.A. parts and buy a ham radio operator not a Chinese factory..Also called him a week earlier to check on purchase he called me back personally WOW.. Again a great antenna solid made and any problems you might have the owner of the company will help you.. I am 100 percent happy.

K4ERA Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2012 04:51 Send this review to a friend
In general a good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 40-6M OCF dipole. The unit is well made but not quite up to what I was expecting. The advertising leads you to believe that the "center insulator incorporates stainless steel hardware ..." Well the only stainless steel on the unit are the 4 tiny screws that hold the SO-239 in place. The 3 eyebolts that SHOULD be stainless steel are just plain zinc plated steel. I would have gladly paid a few bucks more if those were stainless.

The construction is very good, but a little glob of silicone on the ends of the wire would keep the moisture from penetrating the copper wire strands.

Just a few simple improvements would make this product "primo". But overall, it appears to be very good. I can't give it a "5" rating because of the items above. It operates on the bands specified, but you do need a tuner.