Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha DX Antenna 10-80 Meter 500W needs no tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha DX Antenna 10-80 Meter 500W needs no tuner
Alpha DX Antenna 10-80 Meter 500W needs no tuner Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $499
Description: The Alpha Antenna DX line of systems provide the most gain from a High-Q antenna system with both vertical and horizontal polarization.

SWR results from 1:1 to 1.9:1 are easily achievable on 10-80 Meters by simply tuning the Alpha DX High-Q Bastion.

Prices are from $299 to $499 depending upon options selected.

More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha DX Antenna 10-80 Meter 500W needs no tuner.

K0MMO Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2016 23:26 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PORTABLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this portable antenna for field day type activity and just to test it out. I have had good luck with it, but I am using an antenna tuner with it. I have made 65+ mile contacts with my FT-817ND and have tried it with various other HF rigs for some stateside DX.

For the compact size of this antenna, it works better than expected. It tunes up on all the bands with great swr's and is perfect for EMCOMM or Field day set up.

I would recommend that you anchor the tripod good as it will blow over in gusty winds and possibly damage the elements.

K6DPD Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Lose the shack without losing performance in the field!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna August 2015, and it has been great for getting out of the shack and going portable! I found the Alpha DX Sr antenna while looking for an antenna system to use portable with my FT-857D. I wanted something that was easy to use, self-contained, covers 80-10 meters, durable, and can handle higher power if I ever want to use it with an amp. If you're looking for the same thing, that's exactly what you will get with the Alpha DX. The design has been updated over the last few years to incorporate a more durable bastion coil, as well as the more durable and easy to use mil-sticks, so Alpha Antennas is obviously listening to user feedback and improving their designs.
When I got my antenna, it was packaged very securely, and the included nylon bag has plenty of room for extras. I am able to pack the full antenna system, 25 feet of RG-8X, some para cord guy lines that I made, and a padded bag for the bastion, all without splitting the zipper, so the generous sized bag is much appreciated. When I set up the antenna I quickly got the SWR below 1.5 using the recommended coil setting, and started working 20m SSB. Even with the antenna under a large set of trees in my front yard in California, I was easily able to make contacts in Washington, Colorado, Kansas, and Georgia while only using 65 watts. I know that's not very impressive to a seasoned pro, but this was my first time trying any kind of HF, so I'm sure you can imagine how happy I was that day! Since that first day I have added a MFJ tuner (MFJ-939Y) and am now able to tune 80-6 meters with the push of a button. Just this past weekend I made several contacts in Canada, as well as Midwestern and East coast states, while operating off of my truck tailgate! I'm looking forward to some better propagation and the contesting season so I can finally see what this antenna is really capable of!

Needless to say this is a purchase that I'm very happy with. It makes operating portable easy so you can enjoy being outside without sacrificing performance!

Dean, KK6PTS

K7JNT Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Portable, solid construction, and kicks butt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a newly licensed General and this is my first HF antenna, paired with my little Yaesu FT-817 5-watt QRP rig. So I don't really have anything to compare it to. But just go to my QRZ.com page and take a look at my QSO map showing all of the great phone QSOs I've had in just the 2 months I've owned this wonderful antenna. SSB to Alaska, Japan, Venezuela, Chile and even Australia with just 5 watts was done with this antenna. That I think speaks for itself. Probably works even better for CW, but I haven't tried it yet. It stows in a nice compact carrying bag and sets up in literally 3 minutes. Very stable on a quality tripod base.

I also purchased the counterpoise kit and that helped me achieve near perfect 1:1 SWR on 10, 15 and 17 meters, but was actually more difficult to tune on 40 meters.

Overall, I can't recommend this antenna more highly for a rugged and capable HF antenna, especially for portable QRP.

M0GGK Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted something else for portable operations, after looking around and playing with different set ups I eventually cam across this set up.

Pros
Easy and quick set up, resonant on bands from 40 m to 6m using a antenna analyser .

Cons
Heavy to carry.

All in all I am happy but mainly with the owner Steve. Any questions you have or are not sure about then the customer service is second to none!

Dave M0GGK

KC6NRE Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP antenna! +80 Meters? 1KW=WOW!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna a little over a year ago when I was looking for an all around replacement antenna for my Alex Loop and Buddipole. Mainly because I wanted to only carry one antenna that does it all. Well this is it!

PROS:
EASY TO TUNE - My original purchase came with the extendable whips, and a few months ago Alpha Antenna came out with the upgrade package to Mil-Stick whips for the Alpha DX. This made a big difference, because tuning is now so much easier with the new whips.

QRP to 1000 Watts - Where my Alex Loop was 20 watts PEP and Buddipole was 250 watts PEP, the DX Mil is 1,000 watts Continous!

Performance - The DX Mil has a longer vertical whip and three horizontal whips. The 3 horizontal whips gives the lower 40-80 meter bands better performance because these bands tend to operate more with NVIS, while the vertical whip provides the take off angle for DX that allows me to really out perform the other antennas when compared side by side on both receive and transmit.

Durability - So, after a year of using the telescopic whips that Alpha Antenna used to ship with the DX, I found that they were getting gritty from the environment I used them in. Although a little oil seemed to clear this up, I found myself wanting for more. That's when I went back to Alpha Antenna and noticed the DX-Mil. About 3 months ago I bought the new whips, which I was informed have begun shipping with all DX-Mil systems. These are really the most durable whips I've seen for civilian use. Although Alpha Antenna doesn't claim this antenna will work on 80 meters (yet), these new whips allowed me to tune 80 Meters with my LDG tuner. Oh, and very strong well built tripod and bag!

CONS:
Weight - I'd say this antenna system comes in around 12 pounds, which the weight is dispersed fairly evenly with the shoulder strap, but I wouldn't want to carry this back packing more than a mile or two.

Durability - This turned out to be both a pro and a con, as the coil is the weakest point in this antenna system. After about 9 months of using it I had to resolder the wire with the clip back on. This required me to remove a peice of shrink tube. Once the shrink tube was off I also noticed there was a metal cylinder that also needed a little solder to the coil. That bit of maintenance and all was working perfectly again.

KI7VO Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Update on DX jr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have continued to enjoy the Alpha DX jr and have started to experiment with radials for the antenna, It could double as guy lines (4) of them. Alpha antenna has begun marketing a radial kit which is great. I wanted to make my radials live within the storage bag and not slow up setup time too much. Made my own to try it out. I listened around 15 meters kinda open heard an LZ calling. I figured I be buried in a pileup but he QSL'd and astonished me with a 59! I asked him twice! Another stateside QSO confirmed the improved signal. RF current float was not evident-so use the radial kit or your own and great results and protect your antenna at the same time.

W2WIR Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 18:43 Send this review to a friend
I just got my Alpha DX QRP/1KW antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on my great experience with my Alpha ProMaster I ordered a DX QRP/1KW for field day. It arrived very quickly. Again, great materials and workmanship. It set up even more easily than my ProMaster. I got on 40 meters with my Icom 706MKIIG running 100W. Band conditions were poor but I was able to work Europe with 54 and 55 reports. Unfortunately I did not guy the antenna and a gust of wind blew it over and bent one of the side whips. I called Steve (the owner) and he is getting me out a replacement whip. I have to say A.R.S. has great customer service. As soon as I get the new whip Iíll post an update about me experience. I canít wait to try 20 meters

W0JAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for portable QRP use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my Alpha DX antenna a week after placing my order and was happy to see it was packed very well for shipping. I was first impressed to see the quality of the optional carry bag was better than I was expecting and had enough extra room to pack 50' of coax I wanted to carry for portable operations. I assembled the antenna in about 10 minutes taking my time and was on the air 10 minutes later on 20 meters and found the signal receive and signal reports to be very good considering I was in my backyard. I am using a portable tuner and had no problems finding good swr. I decided on this model because of the coil design allowing you to work QRP. The overall quality of materials and attention to detail from the heavy duty tripod to the elements is a good value for the money. I had one small issue with one of the elements and called and was sent a replacement that arrived in 3 days. A good antenna is one thing but a company you can get a hold of when needed is just as important to me. Looking forward to trying out some other antennas from Alpha Antennas!

KF5MQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
It's a real performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's not perfect but it's about as close as you'll find. Where to start? Well the tripod is as heavy as it is heavy duty. I guess it's perfect for the size of antenna it supports. The antenna has alot of load to it, especially after all four whips are extended. Those are some strong whips. I'd definitely guy the thing with some nylon ropes and secure the ropes very well.

The performance is as big as the antenna and I'd put money on the fact that there isn't anything portable that can touch it. No matter what band I chose, this thing impressed the receivers at both ends. In other words, it transmits as well as it receives, which I'll tell you has always been between an S7 and S9. So I turned the power down to 5 watts and still got great reports on all of the bands. It's been alot of fun using this antenna and it'll be my go to antenna for true emergencies and daily communications.

One of the things that some people remark about it that they don't want to have to change the clip on a coil. That's not a bad thing, because having the coil gives the antenna a higher Q. A higher Q basically means that more of the power get's put out into the air. So if you have a QRP rig, this antenna will give you maximum performance. It's pretty awesome that there is a single vertical radiating element centered above three horizontal radiating elements. On EZNEC this gives the radiations pattern of three L antennas.

So what's next? I guess I need to order the bag that is made for this antenna. I've heard good things about the quality of the bags from Alpha Antenna, and truthfully there are too many parts to not have some type of bag.

By the way, I see that the Radio Society of Great Britian's review on the Alpha DX Antenna is now available at www.AlphaAntenna.com

KA6UTD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Great performance & well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the Alpha DX Antenna and it was protected very well in its' package during shipping. The antenna came with three radiating elements and a single vertical element, all of which are heavy duty stainless steel telescopic whips. Next to come out of the box was a well suited tripod with a standard mount that included an SO239 and 24x3/2 stud. As for the tuning bastion, it is an ingenious peice of hardware that sits on top of the mount and into which all of the whips screw into seperate 24x3/8 studs. Included in the tuning bastion is a High Q coil that can be tapped with the clip for 6-40 meter operations. After taking about 5 minutes to setup the antenna system, the first thing I did was hook up my antenna analyzer and use the included quick reference chart in the manual to tune the antenna, at the same time I placed a black or red magic marker tic mark on the coil for each band. Now to hook up the radio! Immediately I heard DX on 20 meters, made a couple of QSO's to Japan and New Zealand, then to Alabama and New Mexico. So, I switched over to 40 meters after I moved the clip and heard QSOs up and down the band like it was field day. I got response to every CQ I placed on 40 meters with signal reports never less than 5-7. I of course had to try this thing on 6 meters, which gave me 4 QSO's before I had to call it a night. What fun this antenna is, and easy to setup & use! I'd definitely recommend this to a friend.