Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | TigerDirect.com Help

Reviews Summary for TigerDirect.com
Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.2/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Supplier of cables and computer parts and such.
More info: http://http//www.tigerdirect.com

You can write your own review of the TigerDirect.com.

KA6OTJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 10:47 Send this review to a friend
always did well by me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have never had a problem with this company. I have been doing business with them for at least 15 years and all my transactions have been good. With internet computer competition being what it is this company would not be in business if it were as bad as it is being made out to be here. I am not associated with this company in any way other than being a customer and very rarely do I write reviews but I felt it necessary to tell both sides of the story.

Like all online transaction I try to call and talk to an order taker and then put the transaction on a credit card. If there is ever a problem I just call the credit card company and withhold the funds which takes the monkey off my back and puts it on the seller.

ka6otj

KA1MDA Rating: 0/5 Aug 9, 2012 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Worst shopping experience of my life!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered a video card and DVD burner from Tiger Direct about 18 months ago. Although web site said both items were in stock, the order confirmation email I received within minutes of placing the order showed the DVD burner out of stock and back ordered! Since I wasn't in a rush, it wasn't a big deal. The problems started when the DVD burner arrived.

Tiger Direct shipped 2 DVD burners. One had an invoice in the box. The other one, shipped separately, had no invoice and the seal on the DVD burner box was broken, indicating it had been previously opened. I emailed customer service to inform them they shipped 2 burners instead of one. They issued a UPS pick up order, and UPS picked up the extra drive in a few days.

Then I began receiving past due billing notices in the mail. They tried charging me for a 2nd video card. After a long call to customer service (with at least 20 minutes on hold during each call) to explain the situation, they were supposed to cancel the extra charge. They not only cancelled the extra charge, but also credited me for the DVD burner!

After that, it was another account past due notice every month for the next 6 months. Each notice resulted in another long wait on hold to customer service trying to straighten out this billing hell Tiger Direct was putting me through. Since their customer service number only works during normal business hours, this caused me to burn up my limited cell phone minutes in short order.

After 6 months of this and getting nowhere, I posted a negative review of Tiger Direct on a consumer review site. This resulted in an email from Tiger Direct within 3 days of my posting, apologizing for the inconvenience and deleting the erroneous past due balance on my account, and crediting me $20 to my account for my trouble. Although I was happy the have the situation resolved, I never used the $20 credit, as I have no desire to ever do business with them again.

I have been buying computer hardware from Tiger Direct for at least 10 years, but my last experience with them put an end to that.

As a side note, I have recently been receiving emails from Tiger Direct highlighting their sales promotions. However, clicking on the hyper links in these emails causes my antivirus program to block 90% of the content with a PHISHING warning! Beware.

K9PLG Rating: 1/5 Aug 9, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Use with extreme caution!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having worked in the IT industry for over 20 years as a programmer & administrator, I would not recommend using this vendor to anyone... They do not have a good reputation among my peers, although some people do buy from them with no problems, I think they are in a minority. They are like a 'Big Lots' of the computer hardware merchants.. Don't expect good customer service for the cheap prices they offer for older/outdated hardware. Caveat Emptor ! (Buyer Beware)

K4IDD Rating: 0/5 Aug 8, 2012 20:00 Send this review to a friend
No Refund  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had shipping problems with a laptop and a TV I had them send to my son - consumer services was poor. Then I ordered a serial port board for a new computer, but it had a PCIe slot not a PCI. I ordered a new one and was told how to return the first one. I did exactly as instructed and heard nothing. I called and was told they wanted a shipping number from UPS or Fedex. I explained that I sent it back the way it was shipped to me (USPS) and had a signed return card showing it was received (and there was a number on it showing delivery). They asked for a copy. I sent it and a detailed account with order numbers etc. No response. I sent two letters and emails with no response. They refused to return calls. I gave up after a while, and they still have my $50 plus the shipping and handling and return postage. I no longer deal with them.

NU4B Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Never had a Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have ordered from Tiger Direct many times and never had a problem. Everything I have received worked and was as advertised.

That doesn't mean some people didn't have problems as in all stores, but Tiger Direct is one of my favorite.

I've ordered computer parts, computer components, cables, and other audio and visual items.

KC2RGW Rating: 0/5 Aug 8, 2012 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Avoid them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered one of their pre-configured bundles for building a PC. This implies that all the pieces are matched and will function.

The motherboard they shipped didn't support the processor they bundled it with. It required a BIOS update to support the processor. In order to do that update, you had to boot the board with a different processor than the one that shipped...heh.

So I called them to explain that they made this mistake and asked them to either swap for a different motherboard or send me an old stock CPU that would allow me to boot to do the update.

They argued with me the whole way, denying that there was an error. None of their staff understood the situation, no matter how I worded it.

They would only offer a complete refund if I broke down the build, and repacked all the pieces and shipped it back at my own expense. It would have cost me far more to ship it all back than it did just to get another board.

In the end I just sold the motherboard off and bought a new one from a different vendor. I hadn't ordered from Tiger in years as this sort of service is what I expect from them. They haven't changed over the years heh.

I do all my business with newegg.com and mwave.com and have had no issues with either vendor dealing with defects and exchanges...a normal part of the computer parts business.

Buyer beware.

KI0Z Rating: 0/5 Aug 7, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Don't Do IT..!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered a monitor It showed $129. on there video . Yet they charged me $150. I had to call and send e-mails SEVERAL TIMES. THEY WANTED ME TO TAKE AN IN STORE CREDIT which I did not need for any thing else . I had to call the card company and thay had to go round and round with them... THEY JUST WANTED TO KEEP THE DIFFERENCE PERIOD... This was my fault as others at work in the past had major 3-4 month problems with them... but the good price on the monitor got me. Lesson learned I have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH AMAZON AND WILL STAY THERE AS THEY HAVE VERY GOOD SERVICE AND PRICES...Don't make the same mistake I did. It took almost 10 phone calls 4 in one day, this was like being at war with them over there shown price.. 73

KG4RUL Rating: 0/5 Aug 7, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
No longer on my "A" list  Time owned: more than 12 months
Problems with ordering via their webpage - Products arriving DOA and being charged for restocking fees when returning same - Customer service reps who don't have a clue - and we could go on.

K9VC Rating: 1/5 Aug 7, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
I dont do business with them.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 35mm negative-digitizer from them. The online ad clearly states that it comes with an SD 2GB memory card. When it arrived, someone had stuck a piece of tape over the words on the box, and no memory stick. I contacted them, and was told basically to "stick it and win". I don't do business with them anymore.

W7KKK Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2012 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Watch their CS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have ordered many cables from TD in the past. They ship fast and the cables are all made well.
Recently I purchased a DB9 to USB with an FDTI chip set for use with a radio I had on order and HRD.
The DB9 connector on the radio was a male when I got it as was the cable I had ordered.
OK, so now I needed either a short coupler cable DB9 female on both ends or a gender adapter.
I was having problems with the website finding either so I called their customer service.
They guy I got seemed to stumble around a lot.Maybe he was a computer expert but he certainly did not know cables. I told him what part number I had bought from them so he knew what I had to adapt. I also told him I would take either a coupler cable or a gender changer for a DB9 cable.
He said he finally found the gender changer for me and gave me the part number as I typed it into the order form online and repeated it to him. My fault for not looking at the part number but when I got it I found it was a 15 pin mini adapter.
Apparently he did not know the difference between a 9 pin connect and a 15 pin mini.
For me it was not worth returning a $6 part with shipping.
I found my DB9 gender changer at another source for $2 and ordered it.
I did send an email to TD telling them about their customer service rep and his inability to help me.
When they replied all they addressed was that it was an online order. They ignored the fact that their rep gave me the wrong part number.
Of course they would have taken it back but It was not worth it to me to send it back.