Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Heathkit VF-7401 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit VF-7401
Heathkit VF-7401 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 Meter Digital Scanning Tranceiver

You can write your own review of the Heathkit VF-7401.

K8CNN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Truly Innovative for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first picked up my Heathkit VF-7401 about 10 years ago at a local hamfest, I just liked the way it looked! plus the price was right! $30.00 However after playing with the radio for a bit, I really loved the way it preformed and worked!

The following description depends on build quality to a degree, but i would rate mine as excellent build quality and alignment procedures, cuz mine works great!

The radio has "by todays standard" very basic scan features (But useful) and I have always gotten above average comments on the transmit audio. The radio is 20 watts (at least mine is) and has a nice sensitive and tight receiver, picking up weak signals, it seems much better than the earlier HW-2036 model.

I would say the receive is just as good as my Yaesu FT-8900 or Kenwood TM-732 and Transmit audio is better! I get reports its nice full sounding audio, not "tinny" or compressed like the typical rice box radios!

The controls are laid out nicely, it also has a GREAT nice sounding speaker in the radio, and has an adequate heat-sink on the back to dissipate heat from the PA deck for extended key-down periods, (not the $2.00 fan as found on the radios of today)

Its by no means a small radio by todays standards, and its not DC to Daylight, But for a good hunk of sturdy and reliable radio, made with some good USA steel, you cant go wrong!

My advice would be, if you can find one that was built correctly for the right price, grab one up! Its a keeper!!! Tom K8CNN 73

K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2012 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Solid Heathkit Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built this radio as part of a electronics course around 1980. My favorite memory of it was listening to the emergency communications with Hurricane Alicia until the power went out, leading to my obsession with battery and emergency powered everything. It performed well as a base unit and did not suffer from the pager intermod like the more modern radio which I traded it in for in the mid 80's while living in a RF-dense area.