Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons Help

Reviews Summary for Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons
Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149 Euro
Description: Studio 1 collects the legacy of WRplus including many tips
from its large user base; however Studio 1 is very different
in its internal architecture and it is vastly superior in
many areas. Thanks to its high-quality fractional resampler
Studio 1 accepts an arbitrary input sample rate, making
possible easy interconnection with virtually all the present
(and future) SDR receiving hardware. Studio 1 supports the
standard Winrad ExtIO*.dll interface library (by I2PHD) plus
a proprietary, improved one (S_ExtIO). This means that
Studio 1 can work in combination with any hardware for which
an ExtIO library exists.
More info: http://www.sdrapplications.it

You can write your own review of the Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons.

KJ9T Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Studio 1 with ELAD FDM-2 A WINNER!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think that the Studio 1 software in conjunction with the ELAD FDM-2 rcvr is the best combo that I hv had the privilege of using as of this date. I must admit that I hv not sat in front of the Flex 6000 series as yet, but hving run a Flex 1000, purchased in 2006, until 2 yrs ago when I upgraded to the Flex 5000 and the use of a few other SDR receivers and software packages, the Studio 1 software is a cut above. I had the QS1R/T with the SDRMAX-II software, I hv run the HDSDR, SDR Console, PowerSDR and a couple of others with my Softrock Ensemcle II, but when I ran Studio 1 with the Softrock the panadapter graphics were much improved over PowerSDR and others.
The timely response to queries is very much appreciated also. I am a very Happy Camper.

AB4BJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch SDR Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the Studio 1 software with my Perseus receiver and Pixel RF Pro-1B magnetic loop for several weeks. Prior to obtaining my copy of Studio 1 I used the native Perseus software, HDSDR and SDR-Console (V2) to access my Perseus receiver and listen to a wide variety of transmissions. I like all of these software packages, but so far Studio 1 is my favorite. I will not comment here on the issues raised by other reviewers about customer service and similar issues, as since my purchase I have had no reason to communicate with the author of the software. I did communicate briefly with him about the demo version and found his response to be timely and professional.

The real focus of this review is the features of Studio 1. Yes, this software is expensive, but in my experience it has been money well spent. Because the software and USB security dongle (for copy protection) have to be shipped from Europe, it took about two weeks for my software to arrive. The software came in a small box with a CD and the security dongle. The “read me” file for installation that was contained on the CD (and that can be downloaded from the web site) was straightforward and easy to follow. The installation of the security dongle drivers was without incident or complication. Installing the software is easier, as it only requires the creation of a folder on the hard drive for the manual copying of several files and folders. To get the software to work with the Perseus receiver only required the manual copying of a few extra files from the supplied CD. After this, the software came to life and worked perfectly with my receiver. By the way, even though Studio 1 can only be used on the computer where the USB dongle is connected, you can load the software on multiple computers and simply move the dongle to the computer you want to use for SDR listening.

To me, one major benefit of this software is the ability to customize multiple work spaces that can then be saved and selected on the fly with a drop down menu. I use multiple monitors on my PC and was able to create several different work spaces that took advantage of the 3 monitor landscape depending on how I wanted to operate the receiver at any given time. This is a very nice feature that will let you place the main screens of the software front and center or out of the way with a simple click of the mouse. Some operators may not like the fact that the radio has multiple floating windows for different functions; however, I find this very handy because it allows more flexibility and versatility depending on your available screen space and operating needs. Once I got the hang of this feature it was very easy to use and experiment with. The sky’s the limit with the number of work spaces you can create and use. I also believe this is the best looking SDR software on the market to use with SDR receivers.

The Perseus is a highly rated SDR receiver, and Studio 1 takes advantage of this technology with its filtering and other features. Of the four SDR packages I tested, I was able to get the best sound from Studio 1. It is easy to insert multiple effective notch filters with a click of the mouse. There are preset buttons for bandwidth or you can customize the bandwidth by sliding the edges as shown on the scope. I prefer the functionality of the Perseus software for changing bandwidth (turning the mouse wheel), but the Studio 1 package is superior in most other respects. The adjustable noise reduction control is effective at eliminating some of the harshness of the received signals.

With Studio 1, you can create multiple memory banks for storage of frequently used frequencies. I found these easy to program and access by selecting the “MCTR” command on the RX Control to associate the open bank with the selected work space.

The spectrum scope and waterfall are easy to view and can be viewed together or in combination. The default color scheme is good, but there are other colors available.

Tuning in a frequency can be accomplished multiple ways. You can use memory presets, click on a signal on the scope, scroll the mouse wheel on the digital frequency indicator on the screen, or type the frequency with the keyboard.

There are many more features available that make this software a pleasure to operate and listen with. Like any software or hardware, there are some features that are missing that I would like to see. In many SDR packages I have used, you can choose to have the selected frequency remain centered on the scope and dial. Studio 1 will not do this, and depending on how you have zoomed in or out, the selected frequency can move off the visible scale and computer screen. As mentioned above, I would like to be able to adjust bandwidth by parking the crosshairs in the center of the selected frequency and use the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the frequency. I would also like the ability to save custom bandwidths in the filter section of the RX Control panel. Studio 1 does not have a full manual available. While I find the software to be fairly intuitive, a manual would be nice. Fortunately, there is a 21 page “Quick Start Guide” on the web site that covers many of the features. This guide was last updated in September of 2013.

All in all, Studio 1 is the best SDR receive package I have used. It is expensive (most others are freeware) but I am not disappointed by the large price I paid to own this software, as I immediately recognized that in many respects it is superior to the other packages that are available. If you have a high-end receiver and antenna system for SDR listening, adding Studio 1 will enhance your SDR experience.

AA1BW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using SDR receiveing technique for 4 years now. Tried several software. My hardware is the PMSDR and the FA-SDR TCVR.
I was a little worried reading the previous reviews. I was pleasantly surprised after trying it.
First I have to tell that using SDR and computer has a very time consuming learning curve. I needed a year to fully understand the basic tricks of SDR and computer, so after installing Studio1 I already had a lot of knowladge about SDR.
With this background I have to admit that this software is perfect. Very easy to tailor it for your needs. The way it handles the 4 independent notch filters, instant bandwith adjustement. I can receive all signals with no noise and "hifi" audio on ssb. My kenwood TS-850 has no better audio, but I need 2 seconds to adjust TS-850, and about 2-3 minutes for the Studio1, to set all parameters. It can also listen to broadcast FM, stereo and mono, no problem.
I think it is worth the price, and the author is trying its best, but needs the financial support for the work he has done.
I tried all other software, and the only thing I miss from this, is the instant digital modem as in the HRD software.
Lajos AA1BW & HA0DR

KC4WFV Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2013 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Sync Detection  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use Studio1 with an SDR-IQ receiver. Setup was easy and straightforward. I have been using Studio 1 for about three months now. I like the display of Studio1. It is easy to pick signals out of the "muck". I find that Studio1's spectrum display is easier to view that some of the other SDR Software offerings. Truthfully, I am not sure why that it is, but that is what I find.
To Mm Studio1 shines in it's Syncronous AM detection. There are user defined settings for Sync detection. Using the "factory" settings for Sync, it remains synched on a carrier way down into the noise, and during noise bursts. Many of the other SDR products lose sync in noise and deep fades---Not So with Studio1.

I am extremely happy with the software so far.

VE4SW Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2013 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Good software with potential  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the software for a few months and had some excellent results using it with my Anan-100D. Software support was timely. Very much recommended. Sold the software recently since I need SDR software that supports TX. It is supposed to come soon, just not in time for me. Also, demo version will soon be available.

If there is a problem with the software it is the cost. $200 with shipping is a lot.

Stefan, VE4NSA/VE4SW

SWL2002 Rating: 1/5 Aug 26, 2013 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with PD0PSB's review on this software. Updates are very, very slow in coming and have only amounted to a few specialized changes. The author of the software is amazingly hostile to anyone who asks any question that is perceived to put the software into a negative light. The user group is heavily moderated and any negative comments, reports, or feedback is not allowed or removed. This software was based on Winrad, which was released in source code form to the public domain. Studio 1 is an attempt to monetize this public domain software by adding valued added features and support. The irony is that there is other free software that was also based on Winrad called HDSDR which works better and offers more features than Studio 1 at this point. As far as support, SDR Applications gets a failing grade so far.

In summary, Studio 1 is not work the price and it does not seem to be getting better.

N4WVE Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best SDR software on the planet!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Studio 1 SDR software for about 3 months now, and have to say that it is without a doubt the most comprehensive and enjoyable software I have used yet! I have a WinRadio Excalibur and find that it works flawlessly with Studio 1. Each virtual receiver operates independently of each other allowing you to have a number of receivers running at the same time, each with it's own waterfall, scope, etc. The filters are amazing for both short wave and ham frequencies. I procrastinated for quite a while before buying, tried other alternatives, and did a lot of research on the internet. Nothing I tried came close to the performance I have received from Studio 1. Another important consideration for me was customer support. I was concerned that communicating with the developers in Italy might be a difficult task. Boy was I wrong! Sandro and Beppe are available almost anytime with technical help or just to answer simple questions. They have both put their heart and soul into this software and it shows! They listen to every comment, recommendation and even criticism with great attention. They respond promptly to emails and monitor the Studio 1 forum closely. I even received an email response on a Saturday! If you would like to question me further by email, please feel free to contact me through eham any time. If you purchase this software you will not be dissapointed!

SM4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Really great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used Studio1 for almost a year and I’m very very pleased with it! The design is very good and relaxing to your eyes during long hours hunting for DX on both the ham bands and MW/tropical bands. You can arrange the different windows to your preference and store different setups. I’m using it together with Perseus SDR only so I do not use it for multiple SDRs. When listening to AM broadcasts the SAM demodulation is very good. All in all I’m very pleased. This is the no 1 SDR software for me and I will look no further for alternatives.

SHEETS_GUY Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Getting Better With Every Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used the Winardio Excalibur software and the HDSDR software for 1 few years I ordered the Studio a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could rate this a 4.5 because I am torn between 4 and 5. I have given it a 5 because I see it getting better all the time and because the guys behind it are first rate.

To start, I had none of the installation issues that others have mentioned. I was able to install the package in 10 minutes. Once I had it set-up I had a lot of fun playing with the software. Yes, maybe the learning curve is a little steeper than either HDSDR or Excalibur software, but that's because there is so much you can do with the Studio 1 software. The SAM receive mode is awesome, the best I have used. The software locks on to weak SW signals and stays locked even through poor conditions. One other thing about the software that struck me immediately is the receive audio. I am an audiophile with a lot of hi-end equipment in my home and the Studio 1 running through a so/so stereo amp generates the best receive audio of any radio I have had in my shack. It is analog like in its quality something I can't say about the other SDR software I have used.

I wish it had more SW frequency management tools (CSVUSER List for Winardio is an OUTSTANDING add-on), an automatic frequency calibrator, and an option to change some of the display colors (those features are coming!) but the software support is A+ and Sandro works very hard to make each version better. I am happy to have purchased it and look forward to forthcoming improvements.

Nice job guys!

KG6AGY Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2012 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Studio1 review: much better than the standard Perseus software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Objective: comfortably listen to ham 80/40m bands for entertainment 3-8h a day.
I have not used Studio1 for FM, shortwave DX or MW DX.

Summary: I have been using Studio1 for a week now and there is no way I am going
back to the standard Perseus software. Studio1 has better user interface, all
settings can be seen/changed w/o going into menus, has less "internal" noise and
superior noise reduction, ACG and notch filters.

Here is my comparison of Studio1 to the standard Perseus software.

Screenshots of my Studio1 uploaded to KG6AGY folder at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studio1/

Installation: I had to tinker with the software installation for 30 min, but I
made it work.

Very low cpu load: 15% at 1GHz Intel Centrino Pro – a low power notebook can be
used for field trips.

Excellent user interface: modular window design, I can see all settings for all
windows at the same time, wide spectrum display, the spectrum can be "filled"
for a better look.

Low noise: the Perseus software has this annoying hiss that I could not remove
no matter what I did. Studio1 has much quieter band noise (noise w/o any
signals). I can listen to Studio1 w/o noise reduction enabled.

Exposed ACG and audio volume controls (yellow bar) allowed me to set the right
balance between "sensitivity" for weak signals and volume for strong signals
while keeping the band noise below hearing threshold.

ACG settings: no pumping like in the Perseus software. I have not learned all
settings.

Synchronous AM: two carrier acquisition options fast and slow; acquisition
bandwidth can be changed to wide to avoid "whistles" when fast tuning or
listening to hams in AM mode

AM soft filter makes AM broadcasting more listenable. Because SDR software
filters have very sharp edges there are some unpleasant high frequency artifacts
at the top edge of the filter. AM soft filter has a gradually declining filter
slope (same as tube radios have) and it makes shortwave broadcasting more
listenable.

Three main features for me: pleasant sound with low noise/hiss, ACG w/o pumping
and direct access to all settings.

Setup:
I used Studio to listen to Ham 80m and 40m bands AM/LSB. My location has a lot
of electrical noise and I cannot listen to DX on shortwave. Antenna: long wire
50ft 30 ft up tuned with antenna tuner. Peresus is powered from a 12v 18Ah
battery trough a 5V voltage regulator. Lenovo T61 notebook is on 7200mAh battery
power as well. Nothing is grounded as this increased noise level. Creative
Audigy ZX PCMCI card used for audio output – it has far better DACs with less
distortion than Lenovo built in sound. For the final noise reduction used GAP
Antenna Hear-It-Now inline module – the best noise reduction that I have found
so far. Headphones: Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones (it
cancels 60Hz power supply hum and computer power bus digital noise artifacts as
well).

Other equipment that have used in the past:
Icom IC-746 PRO