Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons Help

Reviews Summary for Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons
Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $149 Euro
Description: Studio 1 collects the legacy of WRplus including many tips
from its large user base; however Studio 1 is very different
in its internal architecture and it is vastly superior in
many areas. Thanks to its high-quality fractional resampler
Studio 1 accepts an arbitrary input sample rate, making
possible easy interconnection with virtually all the present
(and future) SDR receiving hardware. Studio 1 supports the
standard Winrad ExtIO*.dll interface library (by I2PHD) plus
a proprietary, improved one (S_ExtIO). This means that
Studio 1 can work in combination with any hardware for which
an ExtIO library exists.
More info: http://www.sdrapplications.it

You can write your own review of the Studio1 Software Defined Radio by SDR Applicatons.

SWL2002 Rating: 1/5 Aug 26, 2013 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with PD0PSB's review on this software. Updates are very, very slow in coming and have only amounted to a few specialized changes. The author of the software is amazingly hostile to anyone who asks any question that is perceived to put the software into a negative light. The user group is heavily moderated and any negative comments, reports, or feedback is not allowed or removed. This software was based on Winrad, which was released in source code form to the public domain. Studio 1 is an attempt to monetize this public domain software by adding valued added features and support. The irony is that there is other free software that was also based on Winrad called HDSDR which works better and offers more features than Studio 1 at this point. As far as support, SDR Applications gets a failing grade so far.

In summary, Studio 1 is not work the price and it does not seem to be getting better.

N4WVE Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best SDR software on the planet!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Studio 1 SDR software for about 3 months now, and have to say that it is without a doubt the most comprehensive and enjoyable software I have used yet! I have a WinRadio Excalibur and find that it works flawlessly with Studio 1. Each virtual receiver operates independently of each other allowing you to have a number of receivers running at the same time, each with it's own waterfall, scope, etc. The filters are amazing for both short wave and ham frequencies. I procrastinated for quite a while before buying, tried other alternatives, and did a lot of research on the internet. Nothing I tried came close to the performance I have received from Studio 1. Another important consideration for me was customer support. I was concerned that communicating with the developers in Italy might be a difficult task. Boy was I wrong! Sandro and Beppe are available almost anytime with technical help or just to answer simple questions. They have both put their heart and soul into this software and it shows! They listen to every comment, recommendation and even criticism with great attention. They respond promptly to emails and monitor the Studio 1 forum closely. I even received an email response on a Saturday! If you would like to question me further by email, please feel free to contact me through eham any time. If you purchase this software you will not be dissapointed!

SM4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Really great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used Studio1 for almost a year and Im very very pleased with it! The design is very good and relaxing to your eyes during long hours hunting for DX on both the ham bands and MW/tropical bands. You can arrange the different windows to your preference and store different setups. Im using it together with Perseus SDR only so I do not use it for multiple SDRs. When listening to AM broadcasts the SAM demodulation is very good. All in all Im very pleased. This is the no 1 SDR software for me and I will look no further for alternatives.

SHEETS_GUY Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Getting Better With Every Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used the Winardio Excalibur software and the HDSDR software for 1 few years I ordered the Studio a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could rate this a 4.5 because I am torn between 4 and 5. I have given it a 5 because I see it getting better all the time and because the guys behind it are first rate.

To start, I had none of the installation issues that others have mentioned. I was able to install the package in 10 minutes. Once I had it set-up I had a lot of fun playing with the software. Yes, maybe the learning curve is a little steeper than either HDSDR or Excalibur software, but that's because there is so much you can do with the Studio 1 software. The SAM receive mode is awesome, the best I have used. The software locks on to weak SW signals and stays locked even through poor conditions. One other thing about the software that struck me immediately is the receive audio. I am an audiophile with a lot of hi-end equipment in my home and the Studio 1 running through a so/so stereo amp generates the best receive audio of any radio I have had in my shack. It is analog like in its quality something I can't say about the other SDR software I have used.

I wish it had more SW frequency management tools (CSVUSER List for Winardio is an OUTSTANDING add-on), an automatic frequency calibrator, and an option to change some of the display colors (those features are coming!) but the software support is A+ and Sandro works very hard to make each version better. I am happy to have purchased it and look forward to forthcoming improvements.

Nice job guys!

KG6AGY Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2012 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Studio1 review: much better than the standard Perseus software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Objective: comfortably listen to ham 80/40m bands for entertainment 3-8h a day.
I have not used Studio1 for FM, shortwave DX or MW DX.

Summary: I have been using Studio1 for a week now and there is no way I am going
back to the standard Perseus software. Studio1 has better user interface, all
settings can be seen/changed w/o going into menus, has less "internal" noise and
superior noise reduction, ACG and notch filters.

Here is my comparison of Studio1 to the standard Perseus software.

Screenshots of my Studio1 uploaded to KG6AGY folder at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studio1/

Installation: I had to tinker with the software installation for 30 min, but I
made it work.

Very low cpu load: 15% at 1GHz Intel Centrino Pro a low power notebook can be
used for field trips.

Excellent user interface: modular window design, I can see all settings for all
windows at the same time, wide spectrum display, the spectrum can be "filled"
for a better look.

Low noise: the Perseus software has this annoying hiss that I could not remove
no matter what I did. Studio1 has much quieter band noise (noise w/o any
signals). I can listen to Studio1 w/o noise reduction enabled.

Exposed ACG and audio volume controls (yellow bar) allowed me to set the right
balance between "sensitivity" for weak signals and volume for strong signals
while keeping the band noise below hearing threshold.

ACG settings: no pumping like in the Perseus software. I have not learned all
settings.

Synchronous AM: two carrier acquisition options fast and slow; acquisition
bandwidth can be changed to wide to avoid "whistles" when fast tuning or
listening to hams in AM mode

AM soft filter makes AM broadcasting more listenable. Because SDR software
filters have very sharp edges there are some unpleasant high frequency artifacts
at the top edge of the filter. AM soft filter has a gradually declining filter
slope (same as tube radios have) and it makes shortwave broadcasting more
listenable.

Three main features for me: pleasant sound with low noise/hiss, ACG w/o pumping
and direct access to all settings.

Setup:
I used Studio to listen to Ham 80m and 40m bands AM/LSB. My location has a lot
of electrical noise and I cannot listen to DX on shortwave. Antenna: long wire
50ft 30 ft up tuned with antenna tuner. Peresus is powered from a 12v 18Ah
battery trough a 5V voltage regulator. Lenovo T61 notebook is on 7200mAh battery
power as well. Nothing is grounded as this increased noise level. Creative
Audigy ZX PCMCI card used for audio output it has far better DACs with less
distortion than Lenovo built in sound. For the final noise reduction used GAP
Antenna Hear-It-Now inline module the best noise reduction that I have found
so far. Headphones: Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones (it
cancels 60Hz power supply hum and computer power bus digital noise artifacts as
well).

Other equipment that have used in the past:
Icom IC-746 PRO
Sony 2010
Techsun PL-600

KA7ZIS Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2012 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Still Testing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received this software in the mail yesterday (8/9/12)
Installed the dongle, software and recent update from the Studio 1 website. I was up and running in 30 minutes.

The software gives you the option to save up to 10 different setups (Studio 1 calls them "workspaces")so you do not have to setup your workspace each time you run the program as the previous reviewer stated.

The documentation is lacking as the only information available at this time is a quick start guide. It is a basic 8 page guide to get you going quickly. I think a user manual might be in the works.

The program is suffering from the ability to save frequency/mode settings which I really was really surprised to see. (can I say disappointed)

After 24 hours of using this software, I feel it has great potential, but feel it was released to soon. The author has released a couple of software updates since it's original release, so it is a work in progress.

Info:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studio1

HAMMYGUY Rating: 2/5 Aug 10, 2012 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Displays...Needs Improvement in Many Areas.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software is a new product with it's roots in Winrad originally by Alberto, I2PHD. Winrad is a freeware program for many SDR platforms with several upgrades done by others. This is the first commercial product that I've ran across that expands the original software greatly in many directions.

The improvements are many. The first thing I noted is the excellent displays that are available. The spectrum presentations are fully expandable which addresses the chief complaint about the original Perseus software. As a matter of fact this software is now being supplied with the Perseus.

Most controls are now located in a "RX Control" window. Here you have most functions for the receiver you happen to have hooked up. Each spectrum display does have a few basic controls such as frequency etc.

However while this software shines in many areas, is falls flat on its face in others.

The first the installation experience is clunky at best. No improvements in the original Winrad installation method is done. There are several pitfalls that WILL get a new user in trouble. The author seems to have an opinion that if you can't figure out the installation then you shouldn't even be using the software. Perhaps that is correct. But if a user is forking out over $200US, the software should work flawlessly.

Second is the lack of basic memory management. There is no memory in the software. None. Better get busy and jot down some notes if you want to return to certain frequencies.

Third is the start up routine. Each and everytime the software is ran, the receiver must be selected, windows expanded and resized to fit your screen, and after all that you can begin to use it. When the software is shut down, it will not return to its previous settings upon restart. This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed. Apparently there is some Windows routine that will keep the windows sized for you upon shut down, but it isn't built into the program.

Fourth is the lack of transmitter control of any kind. This is promised to be addressed in future versions.

Certainly a very nice looking software package that was released way to early. Updates are free for one year, but considering how deficient this original release is, the period for free updates should be expanded to two years or more.

This software has a hardware "dongle" that MUST be in the computer to fuction. Certainly an effective way to protect the product. Software installion for that went very smoothly.

At this point I'd recommend you save your money. The various free versions of Winrad (especially HDSDR) have way more to offer than Studio1. Maybe that will change in future versions.