Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ $ 68.00
Description: 10/80 METERS
More info: http://www.w8amz.com

You can write your own review of the W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV.

G3RKF Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2014 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Diversity, simplicity on my favorite bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sandy and a tropical storm wrecked 2 previous antennas at my NJ vacation QTH - W2/G3RKF.
Chose the ZS6BKV multi bander for 6m thro 40m. Good match on 40,20 and 17. Plenty of dx. IC736 internal atu not happy on 15,12 n 10m until I added an isolator at the feed point. Now I have 40 thro' 6m less 30m.
From one single wire antenna I'm very happy.
Call CQ n get Eu replies. Can work a pile up and get the distance in a contest, eg JA, UA0.
It's rugged, a high quality build and I'm confident it will withstand the autumn n winter storms.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 10:30 Send this review to a friend
update BEST YET!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Last post said, I would test an compare the W8AMZ ZS6BKW an the W8AMZ G5RV with each other, I have! Short answer the ZS6BKW is the one that still up, my choice. Installed both antenna where they worked well, the ZS6BKW
the apex was at 36'+ a little short of the 40' recomended to the apex. otherwise
everything was the same. Without using a tuner 6-40m receive was a lot better using the ZS6BKW as far as hearing weak signals, stronger an clearer ones 6-40m, standard G5RV had better output on 75m with out using a tuner, which is to be expected where the SWR was less than 3 to 1. The ZS6BKW was around 5 to 1 an needs a tuner for 75m. The ZS6BKWs needs a tuner on 75m, where the Standard G5RV needs a tuner on 40- 20?-17 -15-12-10m most of the time, where signals come in lower with more background noise. Both antennas are built to last, that a good thing.
Second part of this tried putting a 1 to 1 voltage balum at the feed point with a 500pf cap in series with one side of the feed line, this works for dropping the SWR on 75m down to around 2.5 to 1 at 3820-3900 the way I have my antenna configured on the roof, what I gained was lower SWR on 75m but at a cost of more noise on 75m at night. After using the antenna back and forth this way for over a week, I am using the antenna as it was built with the coax feed coupled to the ZS6BKW having to use the tuner on 75m anyway. I personally like the better signal no noise ratio on 75m, it also dropped the SWR back down a little on 40-10m where the tuner is not needed ether way. If you are getting some miles on your body like I am, this is the hot ticket an antenna that can be used 6-75m with a good tuner, an you will love the receive. I tested these antennas using a FTdx5000MP a FT857D a TS590S and a Yasue FT950 all radios would hear all incoming signals. The differance being a little differance in background noise, both antennas were compared to a referance 75-40-20m dipole antenna on incoming an outgoing readings...................KB6HRT

W7ZZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2014 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent multi-wire  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ran a W8AMZ G5RV for a long time at 37'flat-top with great results...finally the coast wind brought it down. So, I had heard good things about the ZS6BKW variant. Bought one from W8AMZ. I suspended the center at 43' with some fiberglass mast from DX Engineering and held the ends up at 37' with the end masts from the earlier G5RV...What a difference! Way, way better on all the upper bands and a little better on 40M and about the same on 80m. Overall, a very significant improvement over the G5RV. I recommend the ZS6BKW variant without reservation. You absolutely will not regret it.

K5VAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna Available  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this antenna over one year ago. These are the most durable and well made antenna's I have ever run across.

Tom is now SK as of a few weeks ago but it sounds like family will continue his legacy.

N4LPK Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna back in the summer and it has worked flawlessly. Tom was very helpful with some questions I asked. Unfortunately I have learned that Tom W8AMZ is now a silent key. He has had some health problems for sometime. If you have recently ordered any of his products be patient. His family is trying to fulfill all orders as they grieve.

WB4SIA Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2013 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Top shelf!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to repeat what others have said...and they have pretty much said it all. Great product, well built and performs very well. I will likely order a second antenna for my lake home. 5.0 is what this product deserves.

W2KS Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tom makes an outstanding product. I've used his G5RV lite, and now use two of his regular G5RV's, one at my QTH and one at the school I work at. I've worked the world with only 100w or less. The great thing about Tom's antennas is that they are built to last. As a matter of fact, his G5RV is the only antenna I own that survived Hurricane Sandy: It was helping to hold up a tree, which had blown over. I put her back up, and she's still there.

WA4YJB Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
great ant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna up for about a month now. Great antenna. I had a older G5VR up already and decided to replace it with this antenna. I did not change anything from the old installation. Same coax, same height, and everything. i just dropped the old one and hoisted the new in place to see if any difference. I connected ant to rig and the improvement was amazing. First contact was with Italian station. I am so impressed I plan to order second one shortly. also customer support is outstanding.
great job Tom.

N9ZEZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the optimized G5RV (6-80) from you a few months ago and finally got it up today. After realizing that my trees aren't as tall as I thought, I finally got the center up about 43' as the SO239 is about 3' from the ground. I was really hoping to install it as a flattop but the trees that I wanted to use were to close and the others were too far away or too small. So, after much frustration, I decided to install it as an inverted V. I ran 100' of coax to my Kenwood TS-590s with hopes that it would "work". Man, was I amazed!! Keep in mind, I upgraded my license to General after obtaining my Technician when I was 12, 20 years ago. So, besides 10m, today was my first day on general class HF frequencies. For some reason, I picked 17m to start on at about 10:00 PM. My first contact was to Kazakhstan from Indiana (5800 miles). I got a 5x9 report with no problems at all! From there, I went to 20 & 40 where the reports kept coming in! Thanks for the great product, I am truly amazed. I just hope my weak maple can keep the center in the air long enough!!

KG4YMC Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2012 21:31 Send this review to a friend
great antenna and customer service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had changed Qths and have a smaller lot in blountstown but lots of oak trees. Just outside of town and no ccr. Anway , wanted to replace a worn out G%RV had from radio wavz. this is like going from a yugo to a rolls. Quality is excellant and built to last.! I got a 5 by9 report from Portugal .on 40m Had to call Tom and brag on his antenna. what a gentleman and nice to talk to . I ordered the antenna thru amateur supply , great company , opt . for two day deliverly . total was ll8 but well worth it . Thanks Tom . and Amateur Supply . will get another if this one ever dies. oh, onely up about 30 feet. ends are kinna sloping flat top . two differnt directions . one east west other north sout.tthru tree branches little bent . got great 5 9 reports on sweepstakes from station in south dakota from muy gth in northwest fla . useing kenowood ts530 and old mfj mobile tuner. loads up in seconds . oh, when made the contact in portugal . switched to my old panasonic ,even with ten watts got a 5 by nine. great antenna tom . thanks again! aND AMATUR RADIO SUPPLY. no I do not owne stock in company .