Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV
W8AMZ  ZS6BKW /G5RV Reviews: 27 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ $ 68.00
Description: 10/80 METERS
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the W8AMZ ZS6BKW /G5RV.

N1ZLE Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent build quality! been very happy with it. Installed in the woods, not as recommended, performance has been as advertised. Flat SWR on 40, 20, and minimal on other advertised bands. Run full legal limit with no issues, Did I mention the build quality? If you can still find a new one, get it!!

WD8T Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2016 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put this antenna up back in June as a flat top at 50' and am very happy with performance. I can work any DX I can hear with 100 watts from my FTDX-1200. As others have said I don't need to use a tuner on 40, 20,17 or 10 meters. The antenna is very well made and a good bargain IMHO.

N3YUG Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2015 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Multiband Wire  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my ZS6BKW Optimized G5RV for over a year now. I was trying to find a good multiband dipole to get me on as many bands as possible. I think for a multiband wire this is one of the best antennas out there. At 92 feet long and able to use it on 80M-6M its great! On 80M my SWR is about 5:1, but external tuner can match it up, 15M and 10M are a little high on SWR but tuner can make them work also.

Now the down side. When you need a tuner to match the antenna up, you are losing forward output power. Multi band antennas are a compromise one multiple bands and not as good as a dipole on those bands. I have put up three Double Bazooka antennas since installing the ZS6BKW, and they have lower base noise levels and high signals received. I also get better reports when switching between the ZS6BKW and Bazooka.

Overall, Very good multiband antenna if that is all you can put up, and the price is much less thank others out there. W8AMZ's products are well built!

KE8BG Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, better than G5RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No tuner needed with my solid state rig on 40 20 17 and 10. I used to use an mfj tuner with the g5rv on every band for max power.
Feels good breaking pile ups with a wire.
I don't even have the ends up in the air yet. Just using it as inverted V.

K8BZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2015 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using various types of wire antennas since 1971, which include single band dipoles, trap dipoles, end fed wires, Carolina Windoms and others.

Before the addition of the WARC Bands I was using a long wire or G5RV for 40 and 80 meters and a tri-band Yagi for 10, 15 and 20 meters. After the addition of the WARC Bands I was using various types of wire antennas that required re-tuning the antenna with band changes.

The goal was to minimize the tuning required for band changes and allow operation on all the bands at high power levels. The extra tuning was a disadvantage in contests and DXing when the rare ones were spotted on a new band.

After reading the claims of the ZS6BKW type G5RV I was more than a little skeptical but since my previous G5RV expired I thought I had nothing to lose by trying it. It was shorter than the conventional G5RV and I already had the required 70+ feet of 50 Ohm feed line.

To my great surprise and pleasure the antenna performed better than the stated specifications claimed. SWR and bandwidth were excellent on bands not requiring a tuner. The current antenna has been up and in use now for over 4 years and is showing no signs of wear and tear or deterioration from exposure to the elements. I recently purchased a second antenna to use for Field Day.

I can't imagine why anyone would want a trap dipole or Carolina Windom with the availability of a ZS6BKW type G5RV.

There is only one issue I have found with this antenna. When the 600 Ohm ladder line is wet from rain or heavy dew the SWR increases significantly. Usually not to the point of being unusable, but sometimes (infrequently) to the point where the internal tuner in the transceiver can't handle the mismatch. But the external tuner does handle the mismatch easily. Shortly after the rain stops or the heavy dew burns off, the antenna returns to normal operation. A minor inconvenience when compared to the overall excellent performance of this antenna.

VK3CRG Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Works a treat!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up as a temporary solution when I bought my new home in 2012. It's only on 3 x 6 meter (18 foot!) poles in my backyard. I only run 100w barefoot and am constantly getting through pileups and getting comments about my signal on DX contacts. Considering I'm in VK (Australia) and have worked countless countries, my "temporary" antenna is still up after over 3 years of relentless Australian sun and the elements. I strongly suggest adding an "ugly balun" to the coax before the antenna. It works really well and is extremely well built. I've recommended this antenna to many friends and I've heard no complaint yet. Nice simple cheap way to get on air and all you need to do is follow the instructions and you'll be very happy.

W4MPL Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2015 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Antenna works great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna last June 2014 as a result of the reviews here. Purchased it off E-Bay and due to HOA restrictions, painted it with camouflage paint. Installed in up about 30ft in an Oak tree, in an inverted "V" configuration. I'm 100% satisfied and have worked a number of countries, the farthest so far is 6,300 miles away. This antenna coupled with my Yaesu ftdx1200 which has great sensitivity allows me to have no problem hearing the stations.

KD8YGW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutely love this antenna. I put it up on 12/19/14 with the help of another guy (AC8XI) in our club (USECA) and, in those less-than-two months, I've worked 72DX. I live in Michigan so, except for Canada, all of my DX are at least a thousand miles away. I've worked K1N twice (10 and 20) and New Zealand twice, European Russia, Latvia, Ukraine, St. Helena in the South Atlantic, etc. I'm using an Icom 718--a hundred watts and a nice rig, but it's not a Ten Tec or the like. The antenna appears to be well-built and it's at the end of RX8 coax.

NN4E Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2014 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the first wire antenna I ever bought. It was delivered quickly and has been up almost two years. I've worked all over the world with just 100W on this and some amazing QRP contacts as well.

KD7DDT Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Only Antenna I Use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just a few letters GREAT!. I set up the antenna at 40 feet and ran it 75 feet to the ham shack. After this I did everything wrong. I fed the ladder line with RG6 (75ohm) coax with no tuner connected to my Icom735. The SWR from 40M through 10M was maximum 1.4. I tuned the frequency to 80M and it went out of sight to 4.5 swr just like what the manufacture said. I applied a tuner and all bands tune to a maximum 1.1 swr. I also am running 1200watts with a Ameritron amp. Greatest antenna I have owned and am getting excellent reports when I am running QR0 or barefoot at 100watts. You will not be disappointed. I will be ordering a 160 sloper in the spring of 2015.