Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | Elecraft PR6 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft PR6
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: The PR6 is a high-performance, low-noise 6 meter preamp that can be used with the Elecraft K3 and most other 6 meter capable transceivers.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/PR6/pr6.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft PR6.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 10:13 Send this review to a friend
A must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a K3 as a second rig for portable and back up use. I really love my K3 as most owners do, but it always bothered me that my IC-7800 could consistantly receive a 5 watt 6 meter beacon located 65 miles away and my K3 couldn't. Often I could tell that the beacon was in there somewhere buried deep in the mud, but unless it happened to be coming in fairly strong on the 7800 it could not be heard on the K3 even with the internal preamp turned on. After reading about the PR6 I decided to get one and I'm very glad that I did. I installed it as recommended by Elecraft so that it is switched in line only when the K3 is on 6 meters. The receiver sensitivity improvement is tremendous. The K3 now hears the beacon almost exactly same as the 7800, possibly even a little better. The PR6 truly deserves a 5 rating because it is very well made and effective, but I do feel that the K3's receiver should have been able to perform this way on 6 meters without having to buy an optional accessory. The bottom line is if you want to use your K3 for any serious 6 meter weak signal work, the PR6 is really not an option, it is a prerequisite.