Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Larsen glass-mount dual band antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Larsen glass-mount dual band antenna
Larsen glass-mount dual band antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $80 approx.
Description: Larsen's version of the thru-glass VHF-UHF mobile antenna
More info: http://www.radialllarsen.com

You can write your own review of the Larsen glass-mount dual band antenna.

W4EMS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2011 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Good performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using it Nissan Rogue, left rear window. Has factory tint which is non-metallic. Installation slightly challenging due to small area on Rogue rear window on inside. Otherwise instructions and fittings were a breeze. Speaking of breeze, I did add the heat shrink tubing over the coil to stop the wind noise as mentioned in a few posts here.

As for performance, it does as well as any hole mount antenna I have used and I used high quality antennas for the NMO mounts. Using with a Yaesu FT-8800 and can hit all area repeaters as well as usual simplex range for mobile.

If you do not want to drill, do not have metallic tint, this may be one of the better options available.

WD8CRQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2010 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Corvette / Need Trimming  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the dual band 2m/450 & the 2m whips. I have this thru-glass unit installed on the bottom of the rear window of our 2006 Corvette coupe, I change these antennas around as I see fit. Naturally this vehicle doesn't have any metal ground plane surface so this antenna meets the need. The antennas require "lots" of trimming - so using a MFJ RF Analyzer I did get the SWR down below 1.7. And yes they both had a highway speed whistle problem / it was terrible. I installed a black tight fitting tube over the lower 1/3 of both antennas, and also heat shrink tubed the coil. About 90+% of the air noise is gone. In addition I installed 6 counter-pose wires under the assembly 1/4 wavelength long each, and connected it to the braid just before the inside inside unit. The phase lines are either hidden or taped to the underneath and nobody realizes they are there. The antenna now works like a dream! Take the time to do the job trimming, make sure you have a ground system under it - and it will perform.

KI4PBQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2009 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Hit or miss on different installs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally purchased this for install on a 2005 VW Jetta. Did the install on the rear glass centering the defroster lines in the null as described in the manual. Never could get an SWR below 5 after much antenna trimming.

I took it off and used a trunk mount on the Jetta. Larsen sent me a new whip for free. Great customer service. BTW the Larsen person I spoke with said those are the worst antennas they make but they can't discontinue them because the demand is so high.

Just this week I re-installed the Larsen glass mount antenna on a Ford Flex side window (I tried installing on the roof top glass but couldn't route the cable to my liking).

The side windows have a dark factory tint. Using a MFJ RF Analyzer the antenna showed a 4.4 SWR at 146.64 Mhz. Before trimming, the lowest 2m SWR was 1.2 at 140 Mhz. It was also resonant at 439 Mhz. Obviously the whip of the antenna was too long. I don't know if it was due to the tint or the glass thickness.

I heated the ferule and pulled it off so I could trim both ends equally. I trimmed both ends of the antenna approximately 2 inches each until the antenna was under 27" total length. I was able to obtain an SWR below 2 and ran out of time. I think with a little more trimming it will come down below 1.7 but I've re-glued the ferule and will probably leave well enough alone.

Larsen makes good products but there are just a lot of variables when mounting through glass. So don't just slap one of these on your vehicle and key full power for a few weeks before checking the SWR.

KC0AIX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed the Larsen back in 2002 on my Cadillac DTS. Low SWR and works great. 63K miles later it still works great.

Fixed the highway speed whistle problem by applying 3/4 inch heat shrink tubing to the coil.

Not cheap but the good stuff never is..

Mike Pappas
KC0AIX

KI6JEJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2007 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the Larsen dual band "through glass" antenna. The instructions suggest not using on metallic tinted windows or aftermarket tinted windows. My window is factory tinted, so I gave it a try. The SWR appears reasonable and I am able to hit most of the local repeaters, even on low power.

The only complaint I have so far is the wind noise the antenna generates. I have about 2/3 of the antenna above the cab of my pickup, and it generates a noticable whistling sound above about 55 mph. Nothing I can't live with, but I can hear it. I may try changing the angle of the antenna to see if I can reduce the noise.

Overall, a great antenna that was very easy to install, and didn't require cutting a hole in my truck.

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 10:21 Send this review to a friend
good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the antenna in 1997 and installed it on a new Ford Ranger extended cab XLT. It is mounted to the back window on the driver's side. The window is tinted and has a sliding part in the middle. It was connected to a FT8100 and now a FT8800 dual band radio. The SWR is below 1.5 and the antenna performs well. I have not had a problem with the antenna yet. I have heard that the tinted window will impact the antenna, but not in my case. I do not hear the whistling sound reported by other users. When I go in and out of the garage, the antenna hits the top of the door without any problems. It is flexible. The glass mount is a compromise in performance (as are all antennas), but I did not drill any holes in the truck and it is mounted up high on the cab. I would recommend the antenna to anyone who does not want to drill holes for the antenna or coax feed line.

KI6BYJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2006 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the KG2/70CXPL at Ham Radio Outlet in Sunnyvale after many good words about the antenna from the staff and other hams in the store. I was a bit worried about the factory tint on my truck's rear window, but it turned out not to be a factor at all. The antenna is attractive compared to the older mag mount I was using. The only complaint I have is the "whistling" from the coil if I am driving 50+ Mph on the freeway.

N0GPW Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2005 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna after researching many thru the glass antennas. Thought Larsen would be the best and it didn't disappoint me. I was looking to install on the windshield until reading the instructions and decided to install on the rear window of my Expedition. Placed it off to the side to miss the rear wiper sweep and split the defroster wires. I emailed Larsen about the orientation (install arrow) because I wanted the coax to run down the passenger side. They responded back that it was ok to orient the arrow down as long as the outside portion was oriented the same. Only problem is how this antenna sings driving down the road. I want to figure out a way to put something over the coil to reduce this but as yet haven't. It varies in volume based on temperature, speed and air density.

My dad needed an antenna to install on his class A motorhome and chose this one also. He chose this antenna based on the height of the whip. He called Larsen and asked about installing to the windshield. Larsen said it's done all the time but the coupling will be affected based on glass thickness (higher SWR possible). Swr was ok after he installed on the windshield. Dad's problem was he needed a tall antenna to clear the roof. This one clears the roof by only 8 or 9 inches. Not much ground plane on the motorhome with the rubber roof and fiberglass skin though.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2005 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good system  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for the two years I've had my Yukon Denali and yup no holes. So I bought a window mount, installed it and the only problem was with the screw that holds the antenna to the mount. I've had to replace it several times but it wasn't any problem to me. My SWR's have always been very low and it has handled the 50 watts from my Yaesu FT-8800 with never a problem. Of course I have never heard my antenna whistle as I drive down the road, because either my windows are up or I am busy driving and talking and still trying to understand how someone can hear their antenna whistle when they are driving. I even bought a second antenna/mount for my 220 radio. If you don't want to put any holes in your vehicles body then the window mount is the perfect way to go. Just remember tho to mount it correctly on the inside and outside of the window, make sure the arrow is pointing down on mount as the instructions tell you so that it works correctly. The SWR's on the 2/440 are 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 respectfully and you can't complain about that. I mounted both of my antennas just below the dark portion of my tint and never any problems there either.

73's and good HAMMIN.....
Mike, NØmud
Colorado Springs, CO

KG6ZKH Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2005 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Would Buy Again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Performs 5.0 with an Icom T7H on external power @ 6 watts. Even continued to give good performance while transitting the Palomar repeater RF black hole in Vista, Ca. The instructions warn against installing it on curved glass. The glass on the back of my Accord is slightly curved but I got full contact patch adhesion. It warns not to install on tinted glass and the car has the darkest legal tint. Reccomended.