Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun
MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun Reviews: 16 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $50
Description: 144/440 mhz mobile antenna and hatchback mount mfj 345
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1422

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun.

W5RHR Rating: 2/5 Jan 14, 2013 10:21 Send this review to a friend
good performance shoddy parts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the good. outperformed my Diamond dual band that was twicw the price of the MFj.Of course it is longer than the Diamond.

the bad, the fold over mechanism broke when i was attwmpting to fold it over yesterday. The portion that resides in the coil housing appears to be made of pot metal and broke in two.naturally there is no way to repair it.

No more MFJ for me

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 14:03 Send this review to a friend
It's Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for TEN years, constant use, on 3 different vehicles. Nothing but good things to say about it. I use a trunk lip mount. Never any problems, always seems to have good SWR and never a problem hitting the local machines or the ones a bit "further out". I really have nothing bad to say about this antenna.

The cars have given out before the antenna. Hopefully it will last another 10 years!

N7UIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really don't understand the poor ratings on this antenna. I have had mine for 5 years now on a 4runner that gets driven through branches and bushes on a regular basis. This antenna has performed great the entire time. It amazes me that after all the information you need to absorb to be a ham that you still go with a magnet mount and expect to to perform. Mine is mounted with a fender mount; a solid connection to ground at the antenna is a must.

KC9QYE Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2010 10:01 Send this review to a friend
No Problems....Yet.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was really worried about this antenna because I found these reviews immediately after purchasing it about 4 months ago. My first problem was that the antenna did not come with the mag-mount, but that was my fault. The antenna installed cleanly and with agreeable SWR on both 2 and 440. I have yet to make a contact with it but I can activate local repeaters up to ~15 miles without problem. I've hit a few low hanging branches with it and have not observed any cracking, leaking, rusting, etc. So far I have no complaints with regard to this antenna but once the 1-year warranty is up I will probably not purchase another strictly because of the hit-or-miss nature this antenna seems to have.

rc - KC9QYE, 46545

N7UIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Good Tough Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I and my friend have both owned this antenna for well over 3 years and we go tromping through the woods on 4x4 trips at least 8 times a year. These antennas continue to work well and put up with the beating they take off-road(I don't mean gravel roads either)

These are mounted using fender mounts and not magnet. Maybe its the magnet mount that's failing for others. For the price this antenna has been a true performer.

KC9OLI Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2009 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Poor Transmit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mag mount and 1422 for about 2 weeks and while receive works very well. SWR is lower then 1.5 so should work fine. Transmit I can barely talk 3 miles and to hit repeaters 10 miles away I have to be in the clear and on a hill. I'm current researching a replacement. I'm working with cross banding and with poor transmit this will never work. Don't waste your money spend a little most and purchase a higher quality antenna.

AC5JV Rating: 2/5 Oct 13, 2007 17:34 Send this review to a friend
mfj 1422 with mag mount  Time owned: more than 12 months
owned mfj 1422 for 13 months [so much for the 12 month warranty] the fold over part is a joke , hit something then stick it back on roof and if swr went high , go there first wrangle it around till they come back . not so good on water proofing too, the mag mount was a rust bucket , no hope for it . the wife was complaing about not doing good on the local repeators. well with 3.8 to 1 swr on 2 meters and a 5.1 to 1 swr on the 70 cm side , i wonder why , then after all of that found out the load coil had absoluly no continuity thru it , guess it fried or broke from having to put it back on the roof when the foldover was suppose to take care of that . i have owned hustler mobile mag monut antenns for years no trouble , and at these prices this antenna should last alot longer than 13 months . any way i replaced the whole deal with 5 inch mag mount with 17 foot of coax and a HUSTLER LMC-270 DOU-BAND ANTENNA // LOVE IT little less gain on it than mfj 1422 but it out does it by i'll bet %30 in distance . thank you ac5jv

KC2LSA Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2007 15:09 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this antenna a few weeks ago and it has been good to me. Great signal on a couple of distant repeaters and SWR on both bands around 1.2:1 or less. I've even been able to receive downlink from a few satellite passes, I'll give it a five if I can get an uplink...

NB7I Rating: 1/5 Mar 4, 2007 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Out of the bag the 1422 appears to be well made. On 440, the antenna is a poor performer. I have two of these antennas, and both have the same characteristics. Direct swap outs in marginal areas with a quarter wave, Austin 500C, Comet SBB5, and Lakeview 440 colinear prove its performance is inferior. On 2 meters, the antenna seems comparable with a quarter wave. After one year of minimal use, the 1422 had a crack running the length of the black plastic above the base coil.
It is my belief many of these so called dual band high gain antennas do not produce gain at any usable angle, if at all.

KE5BTY Rating: 0/5 Jun 7, 2005 14:28 Send this review to a friend
DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the MFJ-1422 with the MFJ-335 mag mount at Ham-comm. Right out of the package, I'm getting infinite SWR on 2m, and 1:3 on 70cm. Will be returning the pair back and looking into the Comet/Maldol antennas instead of MFJ.