Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun
MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun Reviews: 16 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $50
Description: 144/440 mhz mobile antenna and hatchback mount mfj 345
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1422

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1422 2mtr/440 Rough Rider Antenna and mfj 345 hatchback moun.

VA3DXV Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2004 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Decent for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this antenna (minus the mount) for its price and advertised gain. Works well so far, good SWR (below 1.4:1) on both bands. Can make it into any repeater I can hear, easily 50 miles or so. For the money I think its an good buy. Quality could be a bit better, the black plastic section above the base coil seems to turn if you are grasping that to unscrew the antenna from the mount. I'm not sure if that part is supposed to unscrew or not but I suspect that it's just a flaw in the one I have. Other than that, it suits my needs just fine. I have it mounted on my trunk, but its short enough that I have no need for the folding feature. Here's the surprising part, It even functions well as a back-of-set antenna on 2m!!! Using a right angle (90 degree) pl259/so239 adapter on the back of the radio, directly connected to the antenna yeilds a nearly perfect SWR on the 2m band! Got me in to the local repeaters before I could erect a base antenna.

KF9MA Rating: 0/5 Jun 17, 2004 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Less than a duck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here's an honest review of the MFJ 1422.
It is a beautiful antenna, looks very solid and well built. However....
I installed this antenna on a mag mount. First check of swr showed nothing under 2.5 on 2 meter. I even REMOVED the top section and no difference was shown on my meter. I was quite concerned. I tuned in a repeater quite far from me and it came in scratchy with one "bar" showing on the receive LED. I removed the antenna from my HT and attached the rubber duck and had the SAME signal strength reading. I put my old Radio Shack scanner antenna on just to add to the test and the distant repeater came in at 75% signal on the RX LED. (also the Rad Shack scanner antenna will TX on 2 meter with a 1.5 or better swr!)
Conclusion? When a 2 meter antenna can't even RECEIVE on 2 meter, there's a problem. Never did check the 440 MHz side.
I promptly sent it back after reading your reviews here. Have a Comet SBB5 on the way. Thanks for your reviews, it saved me time and aggravation of returning the MFJ 1422 TWICE!

KC2HHY Rating: 0/5 Nov 25, 2002 17:57 Send this review to a friend
AWFUL  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second MFJ-1422 that has shorted out on me within 1 1/2 years being used on an MFJ mag mount. I bought my first one and after 9 mo in use, I noticed that the high SWR. (I always keep the SWR meter in line.) I put the antenna on a 259B and the darned thing is shorted out. HUH?? So, I sent it back to MFJ (AT MY EXPENSE). They said "yup, its shorted", so they replaced it with another antenna. Another 9 months goes by and darned if the same thing doesn't happen. All of a sudden the SWR climbs (just like the first one). Threw it on the 259B and yep, it too is shorted out. I've had enough and I've thrown in the towel. I bought a Diamond dual band mobile antenna and have a flat match on the same mount. Now I know why so many HAMS call MFJ, Mighty Fine J _ _ k.

KD5IUJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2001 21:38 Send this review to a friend
good antenna for price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the antenna for price and gain. I like the spring (doesn't knock off my mag mount)and the fold-over feature. However, water gets in the fold-over part. There is a gasket to prevent leakage, but on my antenna it is too small. SWR is good on 2m, but not as good on 440. I don't know how to adjust SWR on 440 without affecting 2m SWR. Overall, it is a good performing antenna for the price.

K4III Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2000 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Small antenna /doesn't sway  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a roughrider antenna down here in FL where the humidity is high and garage small. If I were to make suggestions for improvement, these would be it...
(1)Make the center ring rust-proof or coat with paint-what I did. (2)Somehow help the receive properties of the antenna. Great for using local or somewhat strong repeaters/signals, but does not receive as well as five other antennas I've tested on my mobile setup.

Other than these 2 simple problems, I am very satisfied for the size and SWR for the price. I have reached 1.15:1 on 2-meters and the antenna doesn't sway (affecting SWR) when speeding down the roadways. Unfortunately, I haven't tested the 440 band on this antenna. Thus I cannot comment on its effectiveness on this band down here.

NS1R Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2000 14:35 Send this review to a friend
decent quality for $  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is decnt quality and compares to the Comet and diamond Antennas but for less $.
Performance is also good. The mount Is a MFJ 1422 mount which is for medium size or smaller antennas. I feel this is a decent value compared to the diamond and Comet mounts for much more $. However, I feel the MFJ is not as well constructed but I am still satisfied for the $.