Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | HamLog by N3WG Help

Reviews Summary for HamLog by N3WG
HamLog  by N3WG Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$0.99
Description: HamLog is an amateur radio logging application. It maintains past contacts in
chronological order giving the user the ability to quickly add new and edit
existing contacts. It is meant for use when operating portable from the field
or mobile (drive safe!). It supports automatic name and QTH lookup via 3G or
WLAN and supports exporting contacts via email as CSV, as ADIF over WLAN,
to your favorite computer based logging program. You can also do bulk
export directly to eQSL.cc. HamLog supports iPhone, iPod Touch and
iPad.Features:
* Contact Logging and search
* Export via email as CSV, ADIF, or eQSL.cc
* Import ADIF
* Automatic name/QTH resolution based on callsign
US Callsigns Only (Currently)
* Independent callsign look up tool
* Q signal list
* WWV Propagation report
* Contest Calendar
* Wavelength Calculator
* UTC Clock
* PSKReporter.info search and map display
* DX Cluster real time telnet access
* Grid to map enter gridsquare and it will display it on a map
* Solar Data from N0NBH (www.hamqsl.com/solar)
* Part 97 Full Text
* Field Day Logging
More info: http://pignology.net/?p=94

You can write your own review of the HamLog by N3WG.

S55CX Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2017 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice simple app for logging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a non Windows user, I have struggled to find a simple logging system that will work well with my OSX desktop and a Raspberry Pi digi mode decoder and rig controller.

An iPad and Hamlog on the desk does just what I need. I'm using it as the main logging app, not just for mobile. Simple interface, quick callsign lookup via QRZ.com - and an indication if it's been worked before (why do so many make this difficult to check??)

Syncing via its cloudsync process is also quick and easy and I can output AIDF files to then update my qrz.com logbook, LotW etc

Very nice.

My one concern is that there seems to have been no activity on updating this app for over a year. So is it maybe fading out? Hope not.

K9NYO Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2017 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Great for mobile operation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have found no better solution for mobile operations than HamLog. Exporting to eQSL is built-in, and with my XML subscription to QRZ.com, I am able to look up all contact information immediately after inputing a callsign. This is a quick, convenient and powerful tool on a very small screen. With CloudSynch you are able to synch your log between different mobile devices--so you can keep your log on your iPhone as well as your iPad depending on which device you may choose to use for operations. There are many useful tools included that I will not mention as they have already been mentioned here. This is well worth it--especially for the mobile ham.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Great for holiday operating  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I mostly use HamLog while operating "holiday style" overseas, using an iPhone SE and a KX3. I do not have a cat connection between the radio and my iPhone, but mostly only operate casually and entering, or editing, the frequency isn't an issue for my style of operating.

Even on the 4" screen of an iPhone SE, the program isn't fiddly to use, although I am fairly nimble fingered.

The app is awkward to customise the fields, however the default settings suit me. Export of the log in ADIF format via email is easy and can be done between selected dates too.

Call lookup is via HamQTH or QRZ.com, the config is done under the settings app on an iPhone. You can change your call at will, so it's easy to use the app for quick logging at home, or to save running your PC all day long in order to log the odd contact.

Given the limited screen space on a phone, I don't think it would be an easy task to improve this logging app.

AB9XI Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2016 21:34 Send this review to a friend
HamLog & Piglet w/ IC-7000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HamLog with a Piglet and CI-V converter board from Pignology for a cople couple of years. It's an easy to use and reliable wireless radio interface for electronic logging on my iPad. I use this setup for mobile as well as portable operations (along with a bluetooth keyboard when portable). Works great and it's easy to send yourself an adif file with your contacts to import into your logging software in your shack (and from there upload to LoTW, eQSL, etc.).

Nick provides excellent support and has always been responsive to questions, plus suggestions to improve Hamlog. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from Nick in the future!

AA3EJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this log for several years and its great!!..Great basic quality, fast execution and allows exporting and importing from standard .adif logs. Super customer service.. Thanks Nick, 73's Dave, aa3ej CFO#1014

M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2015 05:19 Send this review to a friend
KX3 plus iPad you'll want this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the logging app for some time and then by accident came across the Piglet on Youtube. It's a wireless to serial interface that sits between the KX3 and your iPad logging app, HamLog. It works really well and is so compact and light that it makes working out in the field a real pleasure.

You have control of the main functions of the KX3 wirelessly from your iPad coupled to the call logging app, just like my shack based Maclogger and base station radio. CW decode function as well! Plus much more.

I had an initial issue with incorrect baud rate setting on my KX3 which Nic very promptly alerted me to and it was up and running in no time. Go check out the demo for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeqeV5-8TI

W6JHB Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent app!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got an iPad Air and wanted to use it for logging QSO's when out camping or simply operating in the back yard on the patio with my Elecraft KX3. Had been doing it with paper and then manually typing all the stuff into my mac-based logging program: MacLoggerDX (MLDX). A very time consuming process and not a whole lot of fun. There is an iPad app called MLDX-HD that I thought would work for me, but either I can't figure out what's needed, or the app simply isn't meant for this sort of task. At any rate, I plopped down my $99 for a Piglet device from N3WG's Pignology.net and then bought this $0.99 app from the Apple App Store.

Does it do what I want? I'll say it does! When interfaced with the Piglet, all the pertinent fields in HamLog are automatically populated. You key in the other station's call and anything else you want (name, QTH, etc.) - it's all saved in the HamLog database. When you get back to your home base it's a simple matter of telling HamLog to export the ADIF by sending yourself an email with it attached. You can select the entire thing, or parts of it. I then import that attachment into my main MLDX log and bada-bing, bada-boom - done.

The Piglet runs off of 12v, as does my Elecraft KX3. I got a 4-way PowerPole splitter from PowerWerx and run the KX3 and Piglet off the same 12Ah sealed battery.

Yes, I'd heartily recommend HamLog -and- the Piglet to anyone wanting to use their rig portable and not wanting to mess with paper logs.

REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09 Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2014 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There are so many features in the Tool section of HamLog that benefits all and not just the portable qrp community.

W2LJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Whenever I head outdoors with my QRP gear, HamLog comes with me. It's super easy to use - very intuitive. You download, install and just start using it - no real instructions are needed. I used to log my portable ops with with paper and pencil, but HamLog makes it that much easier. I have it on both my smartphone and my tablet. ADIF transfers to my main log are a breeze.

N8TI Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great bargain   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I figured for a buck I would give this a try. I did and now it is my main logging program. Downloaded it for my iPhone. Very simple interface and simple to use. I like the "look up" button that allows you to verify the call and the name of the guy you contacted without a fuss. Then, the program gives you a free cloud backup. The program would be great for mobile operation. You can take your station to the field and have computer logging without a computer. It does not have packet built in and probably a lot of other bells and whistles, but for someone who likes a simple paper log, this is a great program. Highly recommended.