Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | 817 iPad by VK3XJM Help

Reviews Summary for 817 iPad by VK3XJM
817 iPad by VK3XJM Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$40.00 plus shipping
Description: The first and only custom built interface for the FT-817 & FT-817ND that allows you to connect your iPad to the FT-817.
This interface allows you to connect your FT-817/ND to your iPad for portable use of digital modes. The interface features: Pre-calibrated TX and TX volume settings; Connection via the Data port on the rear of the radio. TX keying on audio out from the iPad; and complete capacitive isolation from the rig. Digital modes that can be used (and only limited by availability of software)include: PSK31 using PSKer, I-OSK31, or Multimode; RTTY using IRTTY or Multimode; SSTV receive only using SSTV (SSTV is a limitation of the software and in no way a limitation of the 817iPad Interface.
More info: http://www.zindello.com.au/

You can write your own review of the 817 iPad by VK3XJM.

F6HHK Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Plug and Play with FT817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Plug and play and it works fine !
With Yaesu FT817 (menu 25 : DIG MIC 30), iPad2 (headphones volume max minus 4 bars) and with PSKer (on Apple Store)
--> results : meter: Power 5 bars and ALC 1 bar.

So, in summary : simple, lightweight, efficient ... I will test soon this configuration in portable for SOTA activation on PSK31 ...

PS : Think to connect the interface to the iPad first and to the Tx after.

KD8PFB Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a 3-month wait, I received my interface cable. Connected it per enclosed instructions and was on the air without a problem. I'm using PSKer and though it's limited in its capabilities, it also works as advertised. I also use a wireless keyboard with the iPad.

WA5UP Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product - Plug and Play with IC-703  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this product from Joshua and received it in less than a week (from Australia). I'm using the interface with an iPad 2 and an IC-703. The data jack on the 703 uses the same pins as the Yaesu, but I wasn't sure about the levels. It turned out that it worked fine, no level adjustment needed, and the interface keys and hold PTT with no issues.

I highly recommend this product, it's a solid design at a very reasonable price. Thanks Joshua for the prompt personal responses to my questions and very fast shipping.

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2013 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastically Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product gets the job done while keeping my kit portable. I can verify that it works with my iPhone 4s, iPad3 and the original iPad. I tried two apps with it. PSKer and SSTV. No problem with RX/TX on either one and making contacts. That is correct, you can TX using the SSTV iOS app as well. The cable plugs right into the radio and the headset of your iOS device. Each device has slightly different settings, but it works on all of the one's I've noted above. I put a ferrite tab on either end of the cable to make sure things stay friendly, but I didn't have problems without them.

It is definitely fun and convenient because of the portability.

G4YVM Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent interface: does just what it says.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can be said? The interface is designed to connect audio and tx functions between an FT817 and an Apple device - Ipad / Iphone. And it does. It is plug and play at its best (once you have downloaded your choice of PSK or SSTV App. It is not app specific). Download the PSK31 App, plug in the cable to your Ipad, then the data socket, turn on the power, tune the sigs and enjoy a QSO...it really is that fast and that easy.

The device is well made and encased in resin...it aint going anywhere!!

Customer service from Josh is really very good. I love Australians, real salt of the earth and Josh is true to form.

K3PRN Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last Christmas I received an Apple Ipad from my daughter and immediately wondered how to use it with my Yaesu FT-817ND and the two Apple App programs listed for PSK31. The direct connection from the FT-817ND headphone and microphone connection to the Apple headphone jack did not work. I found that Josh, VK3XJM was working on a very small one cable with pcb to interface the Apple to the Yaesu. I ordered one and with running the App PSKer, I am able to run PSK very effectively! I no longer have to take a Signalink, notebook computer with cables to run PSK31 in the field. A fine interface at a very good price. Thanks Josh!