Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna Help

Reviews Summary for AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna
AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$81
Description: 18g 126 foot, 8 inches of insulated wire with split ring
terminals on the ends.
Custom designed and built 2.5 to 1 Balun with SO239
connector.

The setup has been tweeked and tuned to work on 40 meters,
20 meters, 15 meters, and 10 meters (no tuner should be
needed, depending on your rig), and 80m, 12m, 17m, and 6
meters using a tuner.

I have included a picture showing the SWR and Theta sweep
for this antenna from 6mhz to 30mhz, which was made with an
AIM4170C analyzer.

This antenna has been hung and tuned, and tested, and is
ready for you to suspend from 3 trees, or 3 PVC pipes even,
and add your own coax.

If you are looking at this, you are probably a ham,
therefore, check my QRZ page for some diagrams and other
info. I have worked most of the
world on this little setup, with the longest being Kenya at
about 9,700 miles, using 40 watts.
I am running a triangle horizontal delta loop configuration
but you can hang a square if you like, My antenna height is
only 6 feet at the corners and 14 feet at the Balun.

I have been asked 'why dont I sell these?' So, here it is.

These are easily made using $25 or $30 dollars worth of
parts, but I spend about 2 hours constructing the Balun,
then I tune and test the antenna.
The balun works excellent with alternate loops wires also..
2m = 7 feet
10m = 32 feet
20m = 64 feet
40m = 127 feet
80m = 254 feet
160m = 508 feet

This listing includes the loop wire for a 40m installation.

$81 and free shipping in the USA.
73 from AG6IF
More info: http://e-bay

You can write your own review of the AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna.

KE4PLT Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2017 11:06 Send this review to a friend
SWEET Antenna - Made a believer out of me!!!!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the in January, put it up the day I got it to test it out... in a less than ideal configuration. The SWR was all over the place. So I took it down through it in a corner, figuring I got taken... well I was way wrong. I Pulled it out two weeks ago and hung it properly and the damn thing is amazing. SWR was no higher than 1.5 on 40, 20, 15 and 10. It is very quiet and has good reception. I have the feed point at one corner about 18 ft up, the other corners are at 25 and about 30 ft. The antenna performs great. I run about 300-400 watts, it is a pile up buster for me. changed radio for me completely. the only issue I have is the balun does seem to saturate and the SWR climbs on long rag chews. I am so happy with the antenna, I am ordering an 80 meter version of the sky loop with the high power balun and will use the 40 meter for portable ops. I am trilled with the antenna, in 2 weeks I have added 12 new DCXX entities to my log. I made contacts in eastern Europe, Central Africa, and the South Pacific... also picked up good west coast propagation, getting 5/9+ from the west coast and 5/8 from Hawaii and Alaska. Made the Pitcain Islands DX team on two calls on 12 meters just this weekend.

KJ4CIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2017 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Best wire antenna ever made!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great antenna! Was able to get the antenna unto a tree branch aprox 30 feet high. The bottom of the triangle is at 7 feet. Feedline is in the lower right hand corner. I was never able to go on 15 or 17 meters with my vertical do to noise. This antenna had NO noise at all. I made a contact on 15 meters to Belgium 5/9 plus. First contact on 15 meters in 8 years. Antenna tunes great on both 15 and 17 meters. Yes reception was better too. Great antenna for a great price. Emails from Jim are answered within minutes. Best regards and buy this antenna !!! Dave

KC1GIR Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2016 15:10 Send this review to a friend
NOT IDIOT PROOF!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're able to put out a kilowatt be sure to order the HIGH POWER balun.
After barefoot contacts with South Africa, the Middle East, all over Europe, and South America I decided to get an AL80A 1Kw amp. After a short while my SWR got juuuuuust a little high at >25.
I just ordered one of the high power Talented Baluns. Hopefully even I can't blow this one up.

KA5CAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2016 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best Balun I have used for a loop. I put up 132 feet of wire, SWR is excellent on 40, 20, and 15.
My LDG tuner easily tunes 30 and 17. I have used many wire antennas through the years and this is my favorite.

K3SFK Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2016 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Superb, easy, effective loop antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
June 19, 2016

I received and installed this interesting loop and balun (40-20-10 meter version) about two years ago. In brief, it is a wonderful performer even at only 30 feet high. It receives very well with a much quieter signal than my other five HF antennas (dipoles and end-feds) especially when noise floor is high. Some days I will switch from transmitting on one of the other HF antennas so that I can receive more clearly with the AG6IF balun-loop. Transmitting results on 40 meters are excellent and 20 meters is 'good'. I wish that I had more yard room to install the 80 meter version. That would be ideal. You won't go wrong with this wire loop antenna. One tip: The balun box is heavy so I put up a strong black antenna rope across the yard to 'hang' the balun so that no pressure exists on the antenna loop wires and there is minimal 'pulling' on the wires during storms or winter ice. Almost all of the weight is held by the single horizontal rope and it does not interfere with the actual wire loop portion.

N1MLO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Talented antenna for an untalented ham  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I hate work, both mental and physical. So I'm a big fan of simple end-fed antennas. I have some trees around the qth which allows me to put one up in 30 minutes or so.

I was uncharacteristically full of energy one day and ordered an antenna from AG6IF. Whilst it took me and my son a grueling 2 hours to hoist the loop up between some pine trees the the payoff was worth the withering labor.

I use it on 20 and 40 meters, switching between them often. No need for a tuner. I use an ALS 600 amp at 500 +\- watts, no issues. Compared to my end-feds this antenna is significantly quieter.

The balun is well made and the provided wire is high quality. AG6IF offers this antenna at a more than fair price, for around a hundred bucks you can't go wrong.

KA8W Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2015 18:20 Send this review to a friend
It Works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna 6 months ago.
Came well packaged and protected. I live in the middle of 5 acres with trees, so with my trusty slingshot it was up 30 feet or better in an hour.
I use a MFJ 962d and an 811h, so I did not cut to any specific length. I run 600 to 700 W every night. It WORKS, I have tried the GAP, AD no trap,antenna. Nothing beats this for a good solid antenna. I do have a OCFD for backup. Yes you could make one, but for what you get for the price why waste your time. I have wasted enough time and money, THIS ONE WORKS.....

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2014 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the 40-meter (134-foot) version of the loop sky wire. When compared to my 27-foot elevated Zero Five vertical, the loop could not compete other than being significantly quieter on receive.

However, I added a random length of wire to the loop to achieve 233 feet, which resulted in a shortened 80-meter version of this antenna. Doing so changed everything - dramatically.

The loop will now often outperform the vertical on most bands, except 15M thru 10M. Performance on 80M is very good, although on 40M thru 17M, the loop performs superbly in both transmit and receive. This is by far the best wire antenna I have used in the last 20-years.

As reference, the loop is at 16-feet above ground and the base of the vertical is 18-feet over ground.

I run a maximum of 1 KW into the AG6IF talented balun and never had a problem during short QSO's. However, I did notice some saturation in the balun using the non-resonant loop during prolonged QSO's, resulting in my SWR's slowly increasing.

All said, highly recommended.

N2VRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got the AG6IF strung up into the trees ! Around 15 feet in the air. I mainly use 40 and 20 meters. The AG6IF out performs my MFJ 40 meter OCD and my G5RV noticeably ! Without the tuner, I get 1.3 SWR on 40 and around 1.2 SWR on 20 meters and excellent reports that I never received before like S9 ++. A great antenna ! Thanks !

Ed/N2EDY

N2VRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 18:26 Send this review to a friend
In the process  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well after reviewing all the "hype" about this antenna, I took the plunge and bought a 40 meter loop version. As of now, I am still battling the trees trying to get a circular pattern with the antenna. This is going to take some time...

So the only review I can give to you for now, is several quick observations:

Quick delivery, well packaged, and the balun is built like a brick ( feces ) house. ( very well built inside as well as the outside).

Hopefully in the coming weekends, I will have the AG6IF up in the air and then I can grade the performance of the antenna and compare it to my MFJ OCF 40 meter dipole which I have been using for over 4 years. So far so good.

Until next time,