Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna Help

Reviews Summary for AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna
AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$81
Description: 18g 126 foot, 8 inches of insulated wire with split ring
terminals on the ends.
Custom designed and built 2.5 to 1 Balun with SO239
connector.

The setup has been tweeked and tuned to work on 40 meters,
20 meters, 15 meters, and 10 meters (no tuner should be
needed, depending on your rig), and 80m, 12m, 17m, and 6
meters using a tuner.

I have included a picture showing the SWR and Theta sweep
for this antenna from 6mhz to 30mhz, which was made with an
AIM4170C analyzer.

This antenna has been hung and tuned, and tested, and is
ready for you to suspend from 3 trees, or 3 PVC pipes even,
and add your own coax.

If you are looking at this, you are probably a ham,
therefore, check my QRZ page for some diagrams and other
info. I have worked most of the
world on this little setup, with the longest being Kenya at
about 9,700 miles, using 40 watts.
I am running a triangle horizontal delta loop configuration
but you can hang a square if you like, My antenna height is
only 6 feet at the corners and 14 feet at the Balun.

I have been asked 'why dont I sell these?' So, here it is.

These are easily made using $25 or $30 dollars worth of
parts, but I spend about 2 hours constructing the Balun,
then I tune and test the antenna.
The balun works excellent with alternate loops wires also..
2m = 7 feet
10m = 32 feet
20m = 64 feet
40m = 127 feet
80m = 254 feet
160m = 508 feet

This listing includes the loop wire for a 40m installation.

$81 and free shipping in the USA.
73 from AG6IF
More info: http://e-bay

You can write your own review of the AG6IF Talented Balun and Loop antenna.

AG6VV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 09:21 Send this review to a friend
It's the balun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In my opinion, the AG6IF Talented Balun is the best loop balun on the market. The secrete sauce is the 2.5:1 ratio. Typical full-wave loop resonant impedance is about 123 ohms, which works out very close to 2.5 times 50. That little detail makes all the difference!

I have made two full wave loops with this excellent balun and booth out performed any other matching scheme I have tried, including various types of feed lines, tuners and other "made for loop" baluns. A solid 5 rating...

W8BNL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
WOW is an understatement!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well - to say that I am absolutely blown away with this antenna would probably be an understatement. But I can't think of any other suitable accolades. All of the local (Great Lakes Area) HF Nets are being heard like never before and the other Net members have been asking me if I moved to a new QTH. The neighborhood where my remote is has some very noisy electric transformers - but I have been able to deal with it since it is mostly on 75 meters - 40 on down are very enjoyable. In fact - I was even more amazed when I put my call out to the Route 66 special event station in Albuquerque, NM and the guy came back on the first try - and that was on 17 meters. A few days later on 20 meters - I worked a guy in Mississippi who had just received his General ticket and was using the /AG identifier. I was his first HF contact and both of us were excited. This loop - even at only 22' AGL - is definitely not a "cloud warmer" - in fact - about an hour ago, I worked EA8YB in the Canary Islands on 17 meters with a 59+ signal. Wow - I was beginning to think that living in a mobile home park with no antennas allowed would spell the end of my HF activity. But thanks to a lot of research - and the fantastic product created by Jim AG6IF - I am back on the air!!! This is one antenna product that actually delivers and I will definitely be telling everyone I can about how well it works.

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2013 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the 40m (128ft) version with the 2.5:1 balun on ebay... construction of the balun is excellent and quality is top notch... I have a small garden and the loop is installed by using my tower to get the feed point up to about 28ft... the two corners of the delta are about 24ft in the air... I was using a resonant homebrew 1/2 wave dipole for 40m which was working very well for me... however the loop has out-performed the dipole right from the start both for contacts under the 1000 mile range but also its a much better DX antenna! I mainly use it on 40m but I have also made some nice contacts on 20m, 15m, 10m and surprise 17m... I use a simple MFJ 941C tuner to fine tune a nice flat SWR on all the mentioned bands... All in all I am very very happy with this antenna and would not hesitate to buy another.

WB8RJY Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 13:45 Send this review to a friend
BEST WIRE ANTENNA YET  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THE FULL WAVE HORIZONTAL LOOP ANTENNA IS HAM RADIOS BEST KEPT SECRETE, I HAVE BEEN A HAM FOR 30 YEARS AND I JUST DISCOVERED IT. I BOUGHT THIS THING ON E-BAY FROM JIM, AG6IF. I HAVE A BRAND NEW OCF WINDOM UP AT 30 FEET WITH NEW COAX, 45 FT ONE LEG, 90 FT THE OTHER LEG.BEEN WORKING DX AND GETTING GOOD REPORTS FOR A MONTH (JUST GETTING BACK ON HF AFTER 25 YEARS)I PUT THIS ANTENNA UP AT 6 FEET AND PERFORMANCE WAS IDENTICAL TO THE WINDOM AT 30 FEET.I PUT HEAVIER WIRE ON IT , CENTER FED THE EAST LEG AND HOISTED IT UP TO 30 FEET IN A SQUARE CONFIG USING 4 PINE TREES.I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW. I LISTENED TO OVER 100 STATIONS IN AN HOURS TIME BOTH STATESIDE AND DX.ON EVERY SIGNAL, IF THEY WERE S3 ON THE WINDOM THEY WERE S9 ON THE LOOP !IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER SAW MY S METER READ 20,30 AND 40 DB OVER S9 !THIS THING SHOULD BE PRODUCT OF THE YEAR.NOW THE BEST PART, THE SWR IS 1.2:1 ON 40, 20, 15 AND 10 METERS !!!I CAN SELL MY EXPENSIVE TUNER !I CAN HEAR STATIONS ON THE LOOP THAT DONT EXIST ON THE WINDOM.IT IS ALSO THE QUIETEST ANTENNA I HAVE EVER TRIED.THIS GUY HAS DONE HIS HOMEWORK !!HE ALSO IS QUICK TO ANSWER ANY E MAILS.
JEFF WB8RJY.......