Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DXLB Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DXLB Plus
Alpha Delta DXLB Plus Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: 160 through 10 meter "trapless" dipole
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DXLB Plus.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, even for DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
At my set up, compared to the full size dipoles, all at about 40 ft., the DX-LB Plus is the same on 40 meters. No difference on the S-meter and reports from DX stations are the same. On 80 meters, it is less than about 1/2 of an S unit down and about the same on 160 meters. Great DX on those bands too. The DX-LB and dipoles are across about a one acre field and far enough to be de-coupled. If they were closer, and parallel, they would probably upset each other.

I don't use the monoband dipoles much anymore and they will probably come down before the leaves in springtime come back. Need to clean up the property.

The DX-LB Plus is highly recommended.

W2MV Rating: 3/5 Dec 9, 2008 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Construction, Poor Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Compared to my full-sized 80 and 40 M dipoles, my reports with the DXLB+ are down one to two S units.
I'm not too surprised, especially on 80, considering the loading/short antenna. On 160, it's a real challenge to compete with other stations using a full-sized antenna. My power is 1 KW.
During the recent CQWW DX CW contest, I could not work any Pacific DX with the DXLB+ on 40M, but easily worked whatever I could hear with the full-sized dipole. The height for both is within a few feet of each other, not very high...about 30-40' up.
The construction is excellent, and I would keep it as an emergency backup, all-band antenna. It's the only 160M ant that will fit on my property, so I'm stuck with it, unless I want to go the open-wire feeder route.
I've had the antenna for 12 months+.

K2JX Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2008 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Well made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Just put the DXLB up in the air about 40', N/S orientation here on Long Island. It works very well even on 160. I actually had two stations call "me" on 160 ! That's a big improvement over my 60' inverted "L". I used the antenna for a time at a very low 20' until the leaves came down from my oak trees and even at 20' it "heard" quite well on 20m. Build quality is excellent, well worth the price, but hey they use good stuff not cheap coils and "plated" hardware !

Should survive a normal NYC winter. I give this antenna an A ! Would I reccomend one, YES.

GL&73, K2JX

WA1GON Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2008 08:48 Send this review to a friend
I Love it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced a Van Gordon All bander with the DX-LB Plus. What a wonderful change. I have a A3S Tri-bander pointed to the NE (QTH is NH) and in all cases I could hear stations equal as well on the dipole as the tri-bander. I haven't compared it on transmit yet. On the Van Gorden dipole, I couldn't hear the stations when I switched to it.

The main reason I took down the Van Gordon was being a window line I was getting a little RF in the shack.

I am still getting RF in shack, but it is different and worst. It is crashing my T1 Internet line. I have put shielding CAT5 between the router and the smart jack which has helped. Next I am going to put a RF choke loop up near the feedline of the dipole. I am expecting this to cure the remaining RF in the shack.

K2FEF Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2008 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Best Short All Bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna survives ! - first, Upstate New York Winters, and now, (hot) South Kentucky Summers - (with a Tuner) tunes up flat everywhere - without a tuner it's still very wideband'ed. Have had multiple setups and config's - it always performs (and holds up) better than most other wires avail. Tech Support (Cust. Svc.) is as good a review as the antenna.

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the three band version of this antenna and it too worked great for many years. It needed maintenance from the wind on this hill and weather so I decided to replace it with this plus version.

I was happy to find the same results, great. I have it up 40 feet in an inverted vee configuration spanning 90 feet. One end is up about 15 feet the other only a couple feet above ground level.

Between this antenna and a vertical I work the world and break DX pile ups at times. I think for the price and the results realized it can't be beat for people like me who don't own towers or have lots of acreage for antenna farms.

The first one I bought had a damaged coil and a call to the factory resulted in an immediate shipment of a new replacement free of charge. I remembered that when I bought this one. Great people to deal with on top of a excellent product.

k3ey

KE0XS Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm able to tune all bands including 17 meters with a Palstar AT1500DT or the built in antenna tuner in my FT-2000. SWR's are right where advertised. Had to fold back some wire for 160 meters and 10 meters. I'm resonant at 3.750.00 with an SWR of 1.36 and on 1900 1.2. This antenna replaced a Van Gordon G5RV 102 footer. Noise level is reduced and overall and signals on receive and transmit are better.

This antenna is more susceptible to tree limbs and leaf's. Also you have to move it away from your roof and gutters. It's imperative that the coax hang straight down from the center connection.

Customer service from Alphadelta is second to none. Emails and phone calls promptly answered. Don is exceptional and knows this product extremely well.

My configuration is Flat Top. You won't be sorry with this antenna!

Brad
73's

K3MD Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2007 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alpha Delta definitely has the BEST service. Within 2 hours of complaining to AES and Alpha Delta, I got a phone call from the manager of Alpha Delta, who explained patiently to me that trimming only 1 foot off either end would bring the antenna into resonance. With a normal "trap" dipole, this would be 13 feet off either end.
This worked. HOW this works I do not know.
Signals are better over many paths with this at 25 feet than a 3/8 wave vertical.
My only gripe: no balun, but this can be corrected for $26.

WB2WIK Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2007 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't understand the K3's review, either. "Ends too short to bring it to resonance" when he said it resonates at 1.6 MHz? How can they be too short?

Anyway, I've had one up for about 2 years and it works very well down to 40m, very well over about 100 kHz on 75/80m and passably well over about 50 kHz on 160m. Very critically tuned on 160m (pretty heavily loaded, since it's less than "half sized" on this band), so an inch or two on the ends beyond the 160m loading coils influences resonance a lot. But, it's easy to figure out and I would *not* mess with the coils themselves -- no reason to.

WB2WIK/6

W7CSD Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned DX-LB+ for quite a few years now and I have never had any problems with it. Currently, the apex is at 25' on a tower with the ends at 15' (One being 4' over the top of the house). Initially I did have a problem with resonance, but it's tuned from the factory for the bottom of the band (it's easier to remove wire than add it) and I was mainly using it for voice. Simple enough to remove a little wire from the various sections to bring it right into where I wanted it.

If I had to flaw the antenna it would be the material used for the wire. It's basically THHN 12ga copper house wire. The problem is that is sheds the plastic coating like a snake. Doesn't effect the performance, just looks bad.

So, if I were asked if I would buy another one, I would answer YES.