Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Puxing PX-358 Help

Reviews Summary for Puxing PX-358
Puxing PX-358 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $70.00
Description: Output power 5W VHF / 4W UHF
Small and Compact Size: 98x53x30mm
Adjust the CTCSS by software.
Adjust the power by software.
50 CTCSS and 107 DCS
128 channels
Wide 25khz and Narrow 12.5khz band
Battery low power alert
Input frequency directly by keypad
Memory Channel(MR) and frequency(VFO) mode switchable
Auto power-off timer (1-15H)
8 groups of Scrambler (option)
Channel bank store
Battery save function
Busy channel lockout
Real-time DC voltage display
FM radio receiver built-in
Backlight working time control
Keypad lock/PTT lock/All keys lock
Open message edit
Alpha-Numeric channel name
Repeater offset
Open password protection
End roger
Scan modes selectable(TO/CO)
Side tone eliminated (STE)
TX inhibit capability
Time out timer
Part reset/All reset/Factory default reset
VOX/VOX delay time/VOX sensitivity level adjustable
More info: http://www.puxingradio.com/pro_disp.asp?OIWareId=816&CurLanguage=en

You can write your own review of the Puxing PX-358.

WP4OEK Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine from ebay. Used it about three times and sold it. Display allways getting dusty. I don't know what to write here, but if you want a good radio... well you know.

KJ4LDF Rating: 1/5 Sep 18, 2012 10:25 Send this review to a friend
weak TX, terrible RX, cannot use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this radio because I *LOVE* my Puxing-777 VHF HT. This one stood out to me on eBay because it was smaller, had 5W on VHF, and also had 4W UHF.

First off, "dual recieve" is misleading, because it applies to the broadcast FM band (yes, it has a "music radio" built in). You can NOT listen to VHF and UHF at the same time, or two VHF stations.

Software and programming cable were REQUIRED to switch it from UHF-only mode to UHF/VHF mode, and to program the channels. I ended-up buying the programming cable to do this, and was furthermore disappointed by the results.

RX is terrible. I don't get *any* of my local VHF repeaters (I can hear 4 clearly with my Puxing-777). It doesn't even receive one repeater less than 2 miles away from my home location. However, when I transmit with one radio and listen with the squelch off, I can hear a hint of the repeater tone in the audio, so I know receive is working a little bit. As an experiment I took this HT very close to the repeater and confirmed that it performs decently. So, around the house or for super-short distances, this radio actually does what it claims to do, which is why I didn't give it a 1.

TX is marginal. Although I can't hear my local repeaters through this radio, I can sometimes "kerchunk" them with it, as monitored with another receiver. This confirms that the tones and the TX functions somewhat, but clearly leaves much to be desired.

In summary, this product barely works, and I will never realistically be able to use it. For about the same price, I recommend the Puxing-777 (VHF), or for a little more the Wouxon KG-UV3D (VHF/UHF) which I have also used and enjoy. Stay away from this product!