Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Alinco EDX-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco EDX-2
Alinco EDX-2 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $230
Description: Automatic wire antenna tuner 3.5-30MHz with 8 ft whip 1.6-30 MHz with 40' wire
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco EDX-2.

V73GOD Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2005 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Used and Abused  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this thing through every type of mismatch possible and it took it in stride. great piece of equipment. A bit noisy but it beat the AH-4 every time. Just grounded it and used whips that were way off tune but made it work. Good job Alinco. Worked well with the 706 too.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2005 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Portable Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used most all of the current remote auto-tuners, the Alinco EDX-2, Kenwood AT-300, a couple different Icom & SGC versions, all with about the same results. I find that with a typical 2 foot piece of copper water pipe as a ground, and 45 feet of wire to one of those German 30 foot fiberglass zip-up masts, it will outperform any antenna short of a full size, resonant dipole or 1/4 wave vertical. Just clamp the light weight mast to anything handy, a fence post, short tree etc. and run a piece of #24 magnet wire up at an angle to near the top of the mast. Pound in the ground rod and you're all set. In one installation, I had a Cush-Craft R-5 at about 15 feet and was able to switch between it and the auto-tuned wire. Only on ten meters were signals the same. On all other bands, the wire was better. I have used this wire/tuner combo on all bands from 160 to 10 with very good results. The only item of concern is to make sure the length of wire you choose is NOT a half wave *, or muliple of it, on any frequency you plan to use. It turns out that 45 feet meets that requirement and makes for a convenient length for a sloping wire to the 30 foot mast.

* An end fed half wave presents a very high impedance and therefore a very high Voltage at the feed point which could be damaging to the tuner as well as making it near impossible to obtain a match.

KC7TEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2004 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my EDX-2 used about three years ago, and it has been working flawlessly in my pickup truck with a DX-70TH ever since. I tune a 102" whip with it, and am quite pleased with the result. This doesn't work like the tri-bander at home, but it beats the heck out of changing resonators for band changes.

G0CJM Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2004 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable, poor...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I became the owner of a DX-77. As a disabled person the residence is 'sheltered' with a very tiny garden about four feet by four feet and i realised that unless i utilised fibre glass 'marine type' aerials i was not going to have much joy on the bands. I read about the seemingly 'magic' properties of the edx-2 and decided that it may just work for me and somehow i was able to string 100ft of galvanised wire so i bought the edx-2 new and put it to work. The noise when its working is to be understood, but i was alarmed to find that as it tuned it was drawing 20A. Sometimes in the 40mtr band it would over-run on and on forcing me to switch it off. Though it would give the impression it is tuned to 160 or 80mtrs my meters record a power out of nil. The only frequency i have ever had a qso was on 10.124 and i sought advice from a fellow engineer G0AVP who advised me to cut the wire to 40ft as that was the maximum required. I followed this advice and whilst i am able to receive perfect Top band copy my out put meter again shows only 2 to 3 watts tx. I had hoped i could at least work qrp on all bands. Please advise. Reb g0cjm

W9SWL Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2002 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Fine Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great with Alinco DX70 and IC746. I am running it with a 160' loop @ 7'. Great cloud burner. Super tuner.

Have used it mobile with 102" whip on 40-10M and also used it with OutBacker Perth Plus. Super with both. (Pictures on web site)

My previous review was as WA7UVX using Long Wire.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2002 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree with earlier reviewers. This tuner is a bit noisy, but matched my dipole/long wire no problem, even on 160 meters (it is only an 80 meter dipole). This was the first autotuner I had, and it made band changing a breeze. If you have an Alinco DX70TH I would recommend one of these tuners, especially if you find one for what I paid-$125. Got rid of the DX70TH, and also the tuner, but I think you can wire it for other rigs.

VR2NG Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2001 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Good SWR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good ATU, good PCB.
Tune in 5 seconds, but a bit noisy.

WA7UVX Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2000 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Fast and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used it with antenna wire from 7-130' and it works great. My antenna is 130' of #14 stranded. Great tuner for the money. The rig is a DX-70T.
WA7UVX - John

VE3OYJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 29, 2000 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Tunes very well, very fast  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had great results when using this tuner with my DX70th.
Has anybody figured out how to wire it for use on other than Alinco rigs?