Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Peaberry SDR Help

Reviews Summary for Peaberry SDR
Peaberry SDR Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $139
Description: An HF transceiver kit designed by the Free and Open Source amateur radio community. You choose to build it for the 160m, 80m/40m, 40m/30m/20m or 30m/20m/17m bands.

No sound card needed.
48kHz 24-bit digital I/Q interface.
48kHz 24-bit stereo speaker
48kHz 12-bit microphone.
1 watt transmitter.
Softrock control interface.
Open Source firmware.
SWD/JTAG port.

This is a kit that contains mostly surface mount components. The parts selection and board layout is optimized for hand assembly with an ordinary soldering iron having a 1/32" tip.
More info: http://ae9rb.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29

You can write your own review of the Peaberry SDR.

KC8UD Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2017 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
This kit is not for the faint of heart. Many toroidal coils need to be wound and several transformers also must be constructed. There's lots of very tiny surface mount parts. There are several tiny micro-chips with multiple micro leads. Soldering skills must be developed before you can successfully get this thing to work. Most problems people encounter with this kit are due to soldering errors because things are so small. Often the errors are solder bridges across the legs of the IC and can be formed under the IC where they are hard to find.

The performance of this unit is quite remarkable. Just connect an antenna and power source (12 volt DC) and then connect a single USB cable between the unit and your computer. No audio cables or outboard audio cards needed as this unit has all the audio circuits on board.
Using SDR software such as Multi-PSK and HD-SDR I have been able to routinely make PSK contacts all around the world with just one watt. I've even made many SSB contacts with this unit and shouting into the built in microphone in the keyboard of my laptop computer. Other stations are amazed that I am only one watt. The antenna is a windom off center fed dipole up about 80 feet.

Then came Windows 8.1. Now the radio is silent as I have struggled and not yet been able to load the software into Windows 8.1 to where it will control the unit properly. I've posted numerous times on the Peaberry forum for help and no one seems able to figure this out. So beware of your OS. Windows XP works fine. I hear others are using Windows 7 without problems.

K7TXO Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2016 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Peaberry V2 for almost two years now. Solid performer. Receive sound quality is a bit sharp. Sort of like a 1st generation ELECRAFT K3 versus the wonderful sound from my KNWD TS-590SG. That is about all I can pick at with the Peaberry itself. The hi and lo frequency width controls via HDSDR software provide excellent control of off frequency interference. The RF and IF Noise controls are very good. I have not had a need to exercize the Noise Blanker so far. Setting up HDSDR is a bit daunting until you get your mind around which settings are necessary for the type of signal input. I imagine there are other software packages that approach this setup differently but this software is solid. While some changes might be nice, it works so well as-is, why tinker with a good thing? Peaberry hardware, device driver and HDSDR all work just fine on Windows 7 and 10. Other than to test xmit output during construction, I have never used the built in QRP transmitter. I used to use this SDR as a PanAdapter on a TEN-TEC Orion that I modified with an internal IF buffer interface board with output gain from CLIFTON LABS. While the TS-590SG does not have IF out, I can use the Peaberry as a parallel receiver with the Ant cable plugged into the DRV rca-type connector on the radio. Set the radio on the SG (Menu 85) to Ant and then Press and hold the Meter button until DRV relay switches over to let the DRV port act as a Recieve signal output. Works like a champ!
Gene / K7TXO

K7AU Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2015 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the peaberry after a positive experience with softrock Ensemble RXTX . I was anxious to experiment with my old Weller soldering station and attempt to do SMT smd kit building. 3 days later and a bit of rewind of bifilar transformers I had a working peaberry. 30 20 17 15 WSPR was my objective and that is exactly the job it is doing for me. Old Dog new tricks Iam 71 years old and licensed for 47 of those years. This is my personal reason why I became a ham in the beginning. It just never gets old. Thanks to all the engineers and programmers who made this a reality. 73

K6LLO Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2015 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am referring to Peaberry V2. I had previously built Softrock RX/Tx ensemble-Peaberry exceeds that in performance and simplicity significantly. I am using with homebrew linear to get 15 watts out and Power SDR 2.44 software. Very finicky with USB drivers- had to clean out all previous drivers to get to work. Improved noise and sensitivity by grounding board ground to chassis and Coax. Also had to experiment with 12 volt sources- several switching supplies are very noisy. Overall when optimized, close to performance in receive to Flex 3000. Setup with that software is not intuitive- need to consult on-line resource. This reminds me of ham radio of years ago but with new technology!

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding ! SDR Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built a RXTX thinking this would be a great experience. The RXTX went together well. The biggest problem I had with RXTX was sending CW with the available software. The configuration had to be just right or it would not work. Lot's of others had commented on using a flex supported 4 channel card, but these units are out of production and they rarely are posted for sale. Plus the price they want for a 4 year old sound card is outrageous.

Assembly of the Peaberry went much better than I had expected. At first I was concerned about Surface Mount soldering but it went much better than I thought.

Now with the Peaberry V2 I get 4 bands instead of three with the RXTX and no need for any external filter.

I now own two Peaberry V2's and they work great!
No more audio cables and the PTT circuit works well with an external Amp. I got the Hard Rock 50 amp and the combination of the Peaberry V2 and the Hard Rock amp make a great station.

Wish I had pursued this Peaberry V2 earlier than I did. I sold the RXTX and Sound cards and did not lose much in the transaction.

I would highly recommend this kit. I use Power SDR-iq with the Peaberry V2 and the software works very well also.

N4WGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2014 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having built a number of kit SDR receivers and analog transceivers, the Peaberry V2 was my first experience with a kit SDR transceiver. I give a 5 rating because the Peaberry V2 has been the most fun, entertaining and gratifying kit building experience in my Amateur Radio experience I have ever had. The assembly instructions and kit quality is top notch, as is the builder community support. The fine pitch SMD soldering requires patience and proper equipment. Do not let SMD soldering deter you, the parts are surprisingly forgiving of rework, and it's actually rather nice not having to flip the PCB over all the time as with thru hole construction. A good, large and hands free desk magnifier was a must for me.
Have made a number of 1 watt QSO's with mine. Now running it at near 20 watts with the addition of a Penny Whistle amplifier, a relay board and some home made low pass filters. Go for it! Hope to hear you on the air, maybe on a Peaberry!

K1QN Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2014 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Even better than Softrock Ensemble RXTX!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a big fan of the Softrock Ensemble RXTX. I built 2, and papered most of a wall with QRP awards with them. The Peaberry is better in almost every category.

Assembly is easier. The parts are pre-sorted and taped to paper sheets with part values and locations. Almost all the components are surface mount. Once you get used to it, it's easier than thru-hole. Really. Part removal is a snap. It does have 2 "zillion-pin" chips. Just be patient. Solder wick can cure almost anything. Get a good magnifying lamp, and a good (Weller!) esd-save iron. Money well spent. Favorite tool: non-magnetic curved forceps.

All components of same value are installed at the same time. The instructions direct you do install two "easy" surface mount chips before going to the "bad ones".

Wiring is easier. It has a 96kHz on board sound card, so all those audio coaxes are gone.

Setup is only a little nastier than Softrock.

I did have some hardware problems. A bypass cap presented a short and all the transmit RF was shunted to ground. The forum (as all ham forums) was excellent.

N2DTS Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2013 17:30 Send this review to a friend
VERY good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update:
I corrected an issue with noise from the laptop power supply getting into the radio, and it works VERY well indeed.
If you get the kit, be sure to check that you do not need to ground things, like the laptop/computer, the negitive power wire, and use snap on noise filters on the USB cable.
Doing that got my noise level 20 db lower, to where its very quiet and sensitive, it picks up lots of signals without the antenna switched in!

I was fooled because the sdr-iq does not pick up the noise, its USB powered, and in a metal box, so maybe that has something to do with it.
A metal box might be a good idea if used in the ham shack...

Outstanding performance for the price!

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Peaberry V2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So this is a review of the Peaberry V2 (version 2) with

No sound card needed.
96kHz 24-bit digital I/Q interface.
1 watt transmitter.
Softrock control interface.
Open Source firmware

So this also has an AMP relay and a ATU relay for use with an auto tuner (Elecraft is one I know of)

There is a very nice clear case available also.

This SDR works very well. I was able to use it with Power SDR 2.4.4 with the iq version. I got over 1 Watt out of it.

Definitely an improvement from my Softrock RXTX because there are a lot less cables and sound cards required. It is mostly SMD parts and is easy to build.

I did use VAC with my setup to feed CW Skimmer.

KD8IGK
Bill

RK6AJE Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Very-very GOOOD!!!  Time owned: months
Could not believe it was a miracle so well when properly configured software. There were a lot of doubts about the suppression of the mirror while working on different bands. Particularly upset very bad job PowerSDR IQ 1.19.x when bought Softrock Ensamble.
Try out a long time, version 2.4.4 and 1.12.1 I was able to set up and hit those parameters, which I think is not ashamed to be aired, and yes the same hang on the amplifier output. Along the way, made ​​them completely open to the entire band for use with any transceiver series Softrock SDR. You can, I think, and with normal clones SDR-1000 heal ...
By the way very like the work of the transceiver 1 Watt mode ROS.

In Russia it is possible for the budget money to find this transceiver is assembled into the housing. And for the really funny - to order a set and most of its solder.

Very-very GOOOD!!! I'm happy!!!