Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | PowerWerx SPS-30DM Help

Reviews Summary for PowerWerx SPS-30DM
PowerWerx SPS-30DM Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $160
Description: Powerwerx Variable 30 Amp Desktop Power Supply with Digital Meters
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/variable-digital-meters-30-amp-desktop-power-supply.html

You can write your own review of the PowerWerx SPS-30DM.

VE7LE Rating: 0/5 Dec 16, 2014 00:05 Send this review to a friend
NOT a 30 amp power supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here is EXACTLY as it is advertised quote
"Powerwerx Variable 30 Amp Desktop DC Power Supply with Digital Meters"

On the bottom of the power supply it reads "25A".

Is that false advertising or what? Great strategy marketing department.

Now, if they advertised it as a 25 amp supply I would give it an actual rating.
Nice power supply though. Works good with my 100 watt amp and KX3 no problems so far. Great form factor. Would be nice if the decimal would move on the current reading as the current changed.

But still not a 30 amp power supply so a ZERO.

KJ4GZI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this power supply for over 18 months and not a problem. I us it with both my IC-2200H and TS-590. I have never had any noise issues with my radios. I mostly due digital on HF and never hear the fan in the power supply. When using high power on SSB you can hear the fan speed up if you transmit for a length of time.

N9VV Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent P/S  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced an old Astron power supply after I found that it sagged badly when loaded down. My new SPS-30DM is running my new rig at full power (100W) without any noise or problems of any kind. I especially like the digital readout that tells me exactly what my VDC and Amps are with just a glance at the bright RED LED's. Well done PowerWerx!
73 de Ken N9VV

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2014 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Small but packs a wallop!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replaced my Astron RS35A to power my 100 watt Ten Tec Eagle. This little switching supply is awesome! It's so small you won't believe it...but it easily powers my Eagle without blinking an eye. The volt and amp meters are a great touch, too. No RFI hash detected anywhere I operate, 80 through 10 meters. The fan noise is minimal...

The Astron was cutting out to zero voltage output about every 3rd time I powered up the Eagle. Sent it to Astron and they repaired it but problem persisted. The PowerWerx supply works every time.

Happy with purchase.

AE7VT Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 21:38 Send this review to a friend
The Best Yet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this power supply just a bit skeptical over it's rating and really compact size. It looks really good and easily blends with other equipment. Mine is used primarily with my IC-7200 HF rig and separate VHF and UHF mobile radios. It is replacing my RS-20M that has been used for many years.

After putting it through a workout for the last four days, I have yet to even get it 'warm' to the touch and the fan rarely comes on. It is very stable and there is no 'hash' or interference that I can find from 80m to 6m. The threaded studs on the rear panel for DC output are very sturdy and allow for a variety of connections and do not limit use to power pole connectors only. All of my DC connections utilize the Anderson Power Poles.

PowerWerx definitely has a winner with the SPS-30DM. I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a small, quiet and reliable switching power supply. I expect to have this one for a long time to come.

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Power Supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using the SPS-30DM with a Kenwood TS-590S. There's no hash, it's stable, quiet and the digital readout is excellent. It's a little overpriced but I wouldn't hesitate buying another another one if I need another P.S.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Puts out 22amps  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this version in my Go Kit, running a D710 and a 880 at the same time. This past week I used it to power a FLEX 3000. NO RFI issues on any of the radios, freqs. Great small size. This same style PS looks like it is also sold(imported?) by MFJ and others. Some with Power Poles, some with analog meters. I also have one of the Power Pole versions. I like the meters.

KK5JY Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2012 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just used the power supply in an RTTY contest, with no issues. The meters update at a very satisfactory rate, and they are large with high-contrast LED elements. The meters can easily be read from across a room.

As the meter values change, you can notice that the intensity of the individual elements fluctuates slightly. It is almost as if there is some component in the meter circuit that needs to be beefed up to prevent the voltage drop when more elements light up.

The fan on this unit is only slightly louder than the SS-30DV, which I have also used. That said, it is still very quiet, even under RTTY operation.

The variable voltage function is nice, but the knob is sensitive. Turn it slowly to select a specific voltage. The potentiometer has a detent in the top center, near 14V. That makes it almost impossible to select other voltages close to 14V. E.g., if you want exactly 13.8V, you probably can't do that, since the 13.8V point is close enough to the notch, that the knob will just slide in to place at 14V. They really need to use potentiometers that don't have this "feature".

There are no PowerPoles on this unit--just 1/4-inch posts on the rear. The big meter more than makes up for the missing PowerPoles.

The power supply held its voltage nicely under load. With 20A output, the voltage at the front-panel meter dropped less than 100mV.

So far, I have only operated 30m-10m with this supply attached to a 100W radio. That said, I have heard no RFI from the supply on those bands.