Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | JRC JST-245 Help

Reviews Summary for JRC JST-245
JRC JST-245 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2399.95
Description: HF + 6M 150w Transceiver
More info: http://www.jrc.co.jp/product/comm/e-comm/jst-e.html

You can write your own review of the JRC JST-245.

KF9Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2006 16:57 Send this review to a friend
About as good as it gets...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own both a JRC JST-145 and JST-245 and find these radio to be among the best analog transceivers I have owned and used. The ARRL review provides all the empirical data you would need to verify the RX is outstanding and the TX is with in the margin of error for rigs that run class A output. I have owned several nice HF radios as a ham and the JRC radios are still in my shack. I have a JST-135DX with most of the options and while a good radio and better than most the JST-245 is in a class by itself. The radio is at the same level of a Yaesu FT-1000D and on a short list as one of the best analog radios ever made. I use mine just about every day and it is the first radio I reach for when I want to work a station.

KE4AMQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2006 18:17 Send this review to a friend
jrc  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i purchased this radio a few days ago, but seen it at a friends house for years. this o/m used the transciever as a reciever so he never got the full effect of its potential.
this has got to be the best transciever on the market..i have owner evcery radio know to man and this is the best i've owned. no theres not many out there because of their hefty price tag.
but to say nomore the radio is the best..

EB5AGV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2004 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Sweet receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some days ago I bought a badly butchered JST-245 (in few days I will put its sad story on my WEB: http://jvgavila.com/jst245.htm ). Among other things, it had an unworking main power supply, damaged speaker, missing screws, unworking power amp, unworking tuner (tested in another rig), ... But despite that horrendous start, having got with it a Service Manual, I have the receiver working almost 100%. I am impressed by the high sensitivity and very low backgroung noise it generates. I have done several A/B comparisons and, by now, it is the best receiver in the shack (and there are about 30+ other!)
I have also used a pristine JST-145 so I know this is not an isolate case!
I like also how the rig looks. Hope to be able to fix the (still lot) remaining things and, someday, have a fully operative JST-245.
A great transceiver!
73 JOSE - EB5AGV/EC5AAU

HI8-HCJ Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2004 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Definitely a grade A commercial transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used both JST 245 and JST 145(same as the 245, but w/out 6 meter & internal antenna tuner) and really this is a state of the art transceiver with the unsurpassable experience and achievements in the radio comunications developed from Japan Radio company since 1915. This rig is out of group in the amateur radio community... is a legitimate grade "A" military-commercial performer. A real collins from the 1990's!!

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2004 00:38 Send this review to a friend
What a radio !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the JST245 for the last 7 months, and I can only say that I keep being amazed at its performance every time I turn it on.

Receive is extremely quiet and the audio quality superb. The signals just pop out of nowhere when working without the preamplifier (which is rarely needed even in the higher bands). No AF hiss is present making listening even for hours, a pleasure.
Selectivity wise, this Rx is also top notch: IF shift and continuously variable bandwidth can block strong interference even when less than 2Khz away from your working frequency. And that is even without cascading the narrow filters !

The NB and the manual notch work wonders on all kind of QRM/QRN without the DSP nonsense and without having to play with complicated menu options which have become so common in todays radios.

As for the transmitter, there is plenty of output power (approximately 175W) combined with a very effective speech compressor which has a profound effect on its ability to work DX. On several occasions I have been able to break a pileup using a pitiful string of wire hanged on a tree outside my apartment as an antenna !

Overall, I think that this rig really belongs to a separate category than anything else offered from any other manufacturer at this time. Its construction and performance can only be described as professional grade.

Marinos, sv9dru/w4

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2004 11:14 Send this review to a friend
HAIL TO THE KING BABY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HF base transceivers have come & gone out of my shack over the years.A very slow learning curve its been,its taken me a very long time to decide whats good & not so good.I,ve sung & danced & performed with the very best of them,what a ball have i had.Comes a time in every mans life when we need to sit back take hold of what really counts,the time for me is now.Sit back let the world go by & just enjoy the hobby for what it is.No frills no spills the JRC is my little nest egg i love it to bits & it loves me.No more acid house party more of beethoven,s last symphony which is what this radio is a orchestra of a radio,history in the making.HAIL TO THE KING BABY.

W9JCM Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2002 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This has got to be the cleanest setup rig made. All the controls are user friendly the readout is the best I have ever seen. Allot of color. Performance wise the rig is on par with my old 1000MP. And I still have to put in the 1.8 Filters. Havent used it on 6 meters yet. The only complaint I have is you cant change the meter unless you are in TX mode. This is a sleeper.

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2002 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Top-Notch Analog Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Summary: If your aim is to make SSB QSO's on the HF bands, the JRC JST-245 is right up your alley.

First, a blunt word about radio amateur transceivers. Face it. There are no outstanding transceivers offered for sale to hams. A good receiver alone (Ten-Tec RX-340, JRC NRD-301a) can cost $4,000 and up and will offer 3d order intercept points of +30 dBm and above. A very few ham transceivers (such as the FT-1000MP Mark-V) offer 3d order intercept points in the mid-20's, but most are in the teens. By military and commercial standards, this is mediocre performance. So even a "great" ham radio rig leaves quite a lot to be desired in receiver performance--not to mention IMD splatter on SSB and key clicks on CW. Bottom line: we hams will not find optimum performance radios on the shelves of ham radio retailers.

Viewed from this perspective, the JRC JST-245 rates a "5" on the eHam.net scale. The transceiver offers 180-6 meter coverage, a built-in power supply and antenna tuner. The tuner, which does not cover 6 meters, works fine with my Carolina Windom (CW-80) antenna on all but 17 meters, where an outboard tuner is required. Transmitter output is rated at 150 watts PEP; my particular unit puts out about 180 watts on CW while SSB voice peaks hit 100 watts. Receive audio is top-notch, but transmit audio is where the JST-245, like Lance Armstrong, pulls away from the pack. On SSB, the JST-245 combines good quality voice reproduction with very high readability (using a Heil HC-5 mike.) I was able consistently to raise more DX contacts with the JST-245 than I was with an FT-1000MP Mark-V that I owned for a time and worked side-by-side with the JST-245. All I can say is there is something magical about the ability of the JST-245's transmit audio to be heard overseas. (Note: the optional transmit monitor unit is very handy for adjusting microphone gain and compression.)

The JST-245's receiver performance--with optional SSB and CW filters installed and utilizing its adjustable bandwidth and passband shift controls--is in the mainstream of high-end radios. (See the review in QST of 9/95.) There was little or nothing that I heard on the FT-1000MP Mark-V that I could not hear equally as well on the JST-245, even during contests. (I do not operate multi-multi, so I don't know how the JST-245 would do in that environment.) And I got more contacts with the JST-245.

I use a Timewave outboard audio DSP unit occasionally for atmospheric noise reduction and for its auto-notching function on unwanted SSB carriers. On CW, the Timewave can provide ultimate selectivity but, because of the dual JRC 500 Hz crystal filters I had installed, its insertion on CW is rarely necessary.

From a design and ergonomic standpoint, the JST-245 is first-rate. Controls are of high quality, are very smooth, and are well-placed on the front panel. The multi-colored numeric display is excellent. You get a well-built all-in-one radio in a relatively small box, and fitted with a carrying handle for easy portable operation.

Things I miss: no "tune" button; no "reverse" button as on the Ten-Tec OMNI VI that allows the operator momentarily to listen in on the other frequency when working "split;" no band registers as on the OMNI VI or "quick memory" buttons as on the Yeasu's; no code speed or CW pitch readouts; no memory for the built-in keyer; and no CW "spot" button. Overall, I must admit to preferring the layout and controls of the FT-920's front panel for ease and useability. This is not to say that the JST-245's front panel is lacking, just different.

But, as mentioned above, what sets the JST-245 decisively apart from the competition is the fact that I have been able to work more DX with the JST-245 on SSB than with any other rig I have owned, including the FT-920, the FT1000MP Mark-V, and the Ten-Tec OMNI VI. (The latter two have found new owners.) Go figure.

W5YK Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2002 00:06 Send this review to a friend
A superb radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this set for about 18 months, using it side by side with an ICOM 756 PRO and a NRD545 receiver. I'm using a Stridsberg Engineering multicoupler to feed my beam to all of those sets. I also have the matching JRC linear amplifier, which is excellent.
On receive, the JST-245 is about as good as the ICOM, although it has less flexibility for setting bandwidths. The audio is slightly better on the JST-245 (using the JRC speaker for both, and switching rapidly between the two for comparison). Where the JST really shines is in the feel of the tuning control, and the crisp display. The ICOM does more things than the JST, but the JST is the one I'd switch on first. Hard to explain unless you've played with one.

All reports on transmit audio have been equally good for the JST and the ICOM (using the same mic). I can switch between the two instantly, and nobody so far can tell the difference reliably.

Having taken both radios apart (you have to do quite a bit of digging around to install the CW filter on the JST), I'd say the JST is slightly more professional looking on the inside. The built in power supply is much quiter than the external PS85 supply used on the ICOM (which puts S2 noise all over 10M).

If I had to choose just one of these two transceivers, it would be the JST simply because it has a better ergonomics. There's a knob for everything, and you don't have to dig around in menus. The controls feel much nicer, and the tuning knob has that old-fashioned flywheel feel to it. And the performance is top notch to boot.

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2001 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit is about three years young, with three
opt. filters, one for ssb and two for cw...Have had three
FT-1000D's and two FT-1000MP's and it
compares very well with these rigs...Its a
sleeper and very well constructed...Any questions
please feel fee to E-mail us...

Stormy