Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ Help

Reviews Summary for Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ
Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $36.95 +
Description: The KF5INZ “EASY DIGI” "VOX" IPhone/IPad/IPod Touch interface

This is the “VOX" version of our interface made for the Apple I "Devices"

ALSO WORKS WITH DROID II PHONE!

We have extended the design of our "Easy Digi" interface to now include
the Apple IPhone,IPad,and IPod touch devices. The pictures above show
the "Easy Digi" "IDevice" connected to a 32 gb 4th gen IPod touch. The
other two pictures show actual screen shots of the Ipod receiving a QSO
on PSK-31. The App we used for this is called PSKer by Mark Oskin. This
app is in the Apple App store and onlyc osts $2.99. There are several
other apps that cost a little more but have more features. The sortware
App to use is strictly up to you. We also are using a different App which
provides a much nicer waterfall display (full color) for $4.99. Called I-
Psk31 in the App store.

This interface uses the VOX circuit of your transciever to do PTT,therefore
it does leave out a lot of vhf radios,but we're working on that. Will work
with about all modern hf and multi-mode transcievers that have built in
VOX. Pricing is $36.95 plus shipping ($5.15 priority mail shipping in the
U.S.).

Included is the cable to connect to your IDevice,a cable to connect to
your radio external speaker jack,and a cable to connect to your
microphone connector. Other configurations may be available on special
request. Please contact us.

Simply hook up per the enclosed wiring diagram, load your App,turn on
the radio and have fun.
More info: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=320959229613&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=67845495912

You can write your own review of the Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply excellent. Had me working PSK31 stations within one-minute of attaching to my iPad. Super fast shipping. Extremely happy with this simple interface.

WE0DDV Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous customer service, good gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Easy Digi interface is made with pride by Clifford Wareham. I had a minor problem with mine and Clifford went way above and beyond the call of duty to help out.

I've used it with my iPad to work PSK31 with my Yaesu FT-450D. The interface is just fine, easy to use. The software for the iPad is just ok (that isn't Clifford's fault, he doesn't sell the software). All in all this is an inexpensive way to get your feet wet with PK31 if you already have an iPad and haven't set up a computer in your shack.

W6SJP Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 22:54 Send this review to a friend
No Complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to get this from Clifford on Ebay and he is great to deal with--gave me everything I needed for my FT817 QRP rig. Up and running perfectly on RTTY, PSK, JT9 and SSTV/WEFAX.

Quality build and small footprint is perfect for my DX walkabouts.

I can't recommend this enough for the digital modes--especially at the price. Other units give you LEDs and knobs, but all you actually need is to plug this in, make your radio adjustments and forget about it.

Very satisfied.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2015 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - works like a charm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Easy Digi II Board and components were purchased off Ebay for $10 plus $2 for S&H. Arrived in three days. Took about 15 minutes to solder together. I replaced my TNC with this, for the fun of it (or challenge) and it works. I'm running Windows 10 beta with the free version of AGWPE. Using the KISS mode serial loopback software interface (by Tim Pearson, KB9VQF). It took me a while to notice there was a "check box" in my sound card config which defaulted to "exclusive use" and once it was unchecked everything sprang to life. I have APRS (by Bob Bruninga, WB4APR) running as an Igate, as a test. I would recommend this kit to anyone wishing to pipe radio audio into their PC for decoding stuff--packet isn't the only thing this interface is good for.

AK4YW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Works great with great support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased an Easy Digi interface kit from Clifford on Ebay about six months ago. This was to be my first homebrew soldering project, to be connected to the mic input of a Kenwood TS-50, so I had a few misgivings. Clifford quickly answered all my questions, and gave me the courage to make it myself. His instruction even included how to set up for PSK31 on the TS-50, which does not have an ALC. I have successfully used his interface to make PSK31 contacts as far away as Kenya. His Easy-Digi interface is offered in kit form for $10, but he slso sells the completed card without cables for self configuration, and complete system made for your radio. As a new ham, his knowledge and encouragement made me confident enough to attempt not only his project, but others as well.
I highly recommend it for both new and experienced ham operators.

VK5MTM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 20:10 Send this review to a friend
It just works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found out about these on QRZ.com. I contacted Clifford, gave him the details of my rig/setup etc and he came back to me with a prompt and informative reply.

He even customised mine so that I would be able to have my mic and interface connected to my radio via the mic socket at the same time!

I have connected mine to a USB sound card dongle (less than $5 from eBay) so that I have a dedicated sound card for digi modes.

I have a young family and my wife doesn't work so everything I do ham radio wise needs to be on the cheap. This setup cost me less that half of what a SingaLink would have cost me.

Delivery to Australia was under 2 weeks from time of order.

Very happy, I will be buying again in the future!

K6BHB Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 23:43 Send this review to a friend
nice little gadget  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these interfaces for my Elecraft K2 from Clifford via eBay. He was very good about following up after I won the auction, and telling me when to expect it -- I had it maybe 3 days after I paid for it.

He was nice enough to include the full schematic for the device, as well as the PCB layout. (It's straightforward, but still...) The enclosure makes it look really professional, and I opened it up to see a carefully-assembled device. Highly recommended!

K8WTF Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Great, simple product - almost plug-n-play  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've purchased two different interfaces from Clifford - I believe he only sells his interfaces on eBay - search for "Easy Digi".

The first interface I ordered in fully assembled form. I provided a diagram of the mic output of my rig at the time (Alinco DX-77) and within a few days I received the unit and had it on the air. I sold the rig and the interface several months later after dozens of successful PSK31 contacts.

I recently acquired an IC-706 MkIIG for portable operations, and I wanted a small, inexpensive solution for data modes. I ordered the "board only" version of the "Easy Digi" interface and soldered on my own wires. Clifford was able to provide an enclosure for only a few dollars more. It took me about 45 minutes to solder the wires, drill the holes, and be on the air. He even provided diagrams and extra resistors - at no charge - to make the necessary connections to an iPad down the road.

Setup couldn't be easier. Plug it in, set the levels, and get on the air.

Level adjustment is very straight forward and similar to most other audio interfaces - adjust the volume output on your PC so that your rig's ALC meter shows no ALC action. Adjust your rig's volume so that your software has the best decode - there's usually a monitor or adjustment tool for this purpose within the software. Make sure you configure Windows not to play any "system" sounds or those will get transmitted. This is common among most, if not all, audio interfaces.

A tip: If you do not want to deal with the serial port or USB adapters to control push-to-talk, use VOX instead. I opted to do this for my portable operations to make wiring easier. Clifford mentioned that most rigs do not allow VOX on the accessory or data ports, and he was absolutely right. I am using the RJ-45 MIC port on my 706, which also carries the audio from the rig. Still a one-cable interface to the radio, but allows me to use VOX for PTT, and the volume knob on the radio for RX audio adjustment.

The best thing about my experiences with Clifford has been his willingness to customize a solution for exactly what I wanted. With both orders, he went the extra model to make sure I was getting what I needed. His e-mails are very detailed and he makes sure you are getting exactly what you want or need before shipping.

And, the price cannot be beat. I have a "SignaLink USB" for my base radio now as I wanted a separate sound card interface from the PC's built-in audio interface in the shack. That unit is nearly 3 times the price, and really doesn't buy me any more functionality. Both solutions do the same thing equally well.

Highly recommended overall - I would (and probably will) buy another "Easy Digi" in the future.

WB7DKZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Contacted KF5INZ about connecting to my Yaesu 857d as I am going PSK mobile. Great listing and documentation on ebay. Received my unit in a few days, and it is literally plug and play. Very complete documentation, diagrams, instructions. After plowing through a few levels of menus on the 857, up and running, no problem. I have a more (three times more) expensive interface at home and wondered why I spent so much! This was 1/3 the price. This interface really works great. AND made by a a fellow ham.

AK4QK Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use digital interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted KF5INZ to see if his Easy Digi interface would work with my DROID II phone. He was advertising it for Apple phones and iPods but was willing to make one for my Droid II phone. To shorten the story, it works great! Clifford provided great service and good communications during the proveout of the unit. A plus is that it will now work on both Apple products and my Motorola DROID II phone! If you need a digital interface, check out the Easy Digi you KF5INZ!