Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Elecraft Repair by W3FPR Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft Repair by W3FPR
Elecraft Repair by W3FPR Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Repair and alignment of Elecraft kits.

You can write your own review of the Elecraft Repair by W3FPR.

W5JV Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2016 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Repair & Tune-Up Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my tired old K1-4 to Don to have some popular updates performed not realizing it had so many problems. Don performed the updates for me as requested but went above & beyond the call by diagnosing, evaluating and then repairing, tuning & aligning my K1-4 as if it were his own. Don not only had my back on this, he brought it up to Elecraft specs without my asking, charged more than fair prices and said nary a word about the extra work. I am so happy I found him. Thank you Don My future Elecraft rigs will be in your hands !!
W8LGZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2016 06:00 Send this review to a friend
K2 Upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent my recently aquired K2 #434 to Don for upgrade from version A to version B. He completed it in less than two weeks and was on its way back to me. He even found a few issues I was unaware of and took care of those, as well as ensuring it was properly aligned. Don has excellent email communication, documentation of work performed, and fair pricing. If I need Don's help in the future, I will not hesitate to contact him!

Jim, W8LGZ
W1XV Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2016 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Can't ask for more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don is an Elecraft guru through and through. I recently sent a KX1 to him for repair. He had correctly diagnosed the problem before viewing the KX1. His service is fast, reliable, and thorough. All this comes at a bargain price as well as coming with a 90 day guarantee. I highly recommend sending any Elecraft product to Don. He's a terrific asset to the Elecraft community.
N3AO Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Super Service from a real pro!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first met Don Wilhelm, W3FPR, at the Elecraft booth at the Dayton Hamvention many years ago. He was patiently dispensing with valuable information to both prospective buyers and to veteran users alike. He was patient and quiet, really listening to those crowding inwards, and then giving splendid advice and help. He and Tom Hammond N0SS (among others!) stood all day long providing quality service that I, personally, shall never forget; how those guys did that, in all of that bedlam, was astonishing.

Fast forward to last year's (2014) Dayton, and who should stop by an ARRL booth I was in while one of the staff was off giving a forum. I told Don about how impressed I had been all those years before. We had a great conversation! Before I knew it I had sent him, first my Elecraft K1, S/N 159, and then later, my K2, S/N 678, both of which he tuned and updated with new components in short order. I have used both rigs with no problems afterwards.
But lately my K2 started getting reports of "hum" on my favorite 75-Meter SSB net frequency, so I sent him the rig back for repair. He fixed that but then another problem surfaced and he fixed that too! All with the same patient, careful, attention to detail for which I had know him before! And at a MOST REASONABLE charge, too!!!
I wish I could give him a PERFECT 10 for my rating, but eHam's highest rating is 5/5, so that will have to do! Don does excellent work!
KK5IB Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 05:33 Send this review to a friend
It's the little things  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a used antenna tuner for my K2 and tried to install it myself. Not sure if test was right, problems with the power transistor heat sinks, installed a wrong part, so back to Don. He fixed things I didn't know were not right along with installation and alignment. Second trip to Don for totally unrelated issues, but K2 is back and in perfect shape. Highly recommended.
KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2015 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent work / Communications  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don does an excellent job on all levels.
He is patient on the emails and is diligent to get the job done.
I would highly recommend Don for K2 work if yours is an early run or something you just cannot figure out.
I treated my 14 year old K2 to a retune and the addition of a KPA100 and some other work and it came back...
Thanks Don!
AF5U Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
My experience with Don, W3FPR, repairing and aligning my K2 was beautiful. Let’s jump forward to after all the work was completed. Don emailed me the results of all that he did. Every modification, update, repair, and alignment was documented better than anything that I have experienced from the top commercial radio manufacturers. None of these manufacturers provide the honesty and detail that Don offers. First of all, he is an EE. That alone does not mean much in service work. But, he loves what he does and likes providing excellent customer service. Intelligence and honesty is in his character. It was important to Don to understand what I wanted before he started. My reply was to only perform the work that was cost-effective – but I wanted a quality K2 when he finished. After that – he went to work doing what was cost-effective and necessary. I have spent more time evaluating my K2 after Don finished it than he did fixing it. I can find nothing wrong with it! He is the man! I would recommend him to all of my Elecraft friends. K2 SN#943 owner
W3NCR Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Don a K1 that, while generally working, had some unusual artifacts in the sidetone. Turns out I had missed a cap and made a couple of other errors during the build. Don found the problems and addressed them quickly, realigned the rig, charged me a very reasonable rate and I had the fixed K1 back in my hands in just over a week. One example of his level of care: I had done a poor job of packaging the radio for shipping (my toddler chose the post office for a meltdown ;-) ). Don took the time/effort to more appropriately package the K1 before shipping it back. Total class act. I would recommend him highly.
W9PZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2014 15:09 Send this review to a friend
KX1 appeared to work but signal was never heard  Time owned: more than 12 months
My KX1 worked fantastic until I installed the extra band mod. This dropped the power from 5 watts to around 2 and I couldn't seem to contact anyone. My friend W9LU, who owns a K3, advised me to contact Elecraft which I did. Elecraft put me in contact with W3FPR who had me send the radio to him. Within 3 days the radio was fixed and brought back up to factory specs. Power is still a disappointing 3 watts on 40 meters. However, W3FPR found my errors, fixed them, and retuned the radio VERY quickly; he is amazing and VERY HIGHLY recommended by me for Elecraft repairs. I just don't recommend the extra band mod on the KX1.
KK5IB Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2014 20:27 Send this review to a friend
K2 Full Upgrade  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My K2 was an older one in need of a complete upgrade, Rev A to B, new crystals, plus all the upgrades available from Elecraft. This required 100 plus steps plus total alignment. Total turnaround time was two weeks including shipping time. Everything was done correctly including finding some defects I didn't know about. Very pleased with results.