Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AH4 auto tuner Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AH4 auto tuner
ICOM AH4  auto tuner Reviews: 146 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $319 street price 8/2000
Description: small mobile/base wire tuner 160-6 meters. Remote control with ICOM HF rigs
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/ah4.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM AH4 auto tuner.

W5MCU Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2017 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use with IC-7300  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not a hitch in the get-a-long. Tunes fast with my 43 ft vertical Zero5 antenna. Running 100watts my adage is: "If I can hear them, they can hear me."

W6SWO Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2016 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great with R7 Vertical!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this based on everyone's reviews here saying it was great, and it IS!

Here are my observations and installation notes:

1) There have been many people here who said they had problems with getting the gasket between the top and bottom covers to mate properly, but I had no problems whatsoever. Maybe ICOM improved the gasket design or mounting, but it has pins and spacers that it mounts on and it went together very easily for me.

2) I bought this to use with my Cushcraft R7 vice a long wire. To make it work, I put the center conductor of my low-loss coax leading to the to the ceramic insulator designed for the long wire. I then took the shield of the coax going to the antenna and made a jumper wire to the bottom of the AH-4's ground terminal. My thinking was, if the transceiver, antenna and shield of my coax is all supposed to be at ground (ie: zero potential), that should work fine.

3) I then grounded everything to the galvanized mast that the R7 antenna is mounted on.

When you plug the control cable connector to the radio (in my case, an Icom 7410), the radio automatically understands that the AH-4 tuner is connected and uses the AH-4 instead of the internal automatic tuner.

Results: The AH-4 tunes to 1:1 on all 80-10m quickly and easily. It does WAY better than the 7410's internal tuner, and better than the external manual MFJ tuner I've used on this rig. I am THOROUGHLY impressed with this tuner, and it makes operating so much easier than the other tuners. Tune to your desired freq on any band, hit the "tune" button on the radio, and you're in business in a second! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2016 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Super mobile tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote an earlier review with the AH-4 in the shack. Now it's in my Honda CR-V and doing very well with a 103in whip and ICOM 7100. 160 to 6 in 3-4 seconds and I work just about everyone I can reasonably hear.

KI7AAR Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2016 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Works without issues.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been running this tuner on a IC-756 Pro III and a 130' non resonate inverted L (insulated wire.) It quickly tunes 80 to 6 meters every time without a glitch. My antenna isn't set-up for 160 meters and it won't tune 160. That is to be expected but, I had to try.

The only improvement that I can think of is adding weatherproof connectors outside of the enclosure. The stock design requires the removal of the lid with several screws and a seal that must be carefully realigned.

I've extended the control cable to 30' with sprinkler wire. Also running chokes at the tuner for both coax and control. No RF in the shack and it getting out a great signal. I'm looking for a second AH-4 for the 7300 and mobile ops if that ever happens.

K0KS Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Best by Far for Icom Transceivers  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2 AH-4 tuners are >12 yrs old and still do daily duty. One mobile and one stays home. I've used them on a number of antennas, some with baluns, and had great results. I have tightened and re-soldered a couple of things in the mobile unit with the severe environment. This is an Icom orphan with little support. There doesn't seem to be a list of compatible transceivers or that it will even work 160M. The AH-4 is the perfect companion for the IC-7300 and ideal for those new guys getting on HF. The cheapest all band antenna that can be many configurations and the price just came down.

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 08:08 Send this review to a friend
A Great Investment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the AH-4 as a stealthy compromise and it works surprisingly well! The unit is mounted on a 4x4 about 18" off the ground with a 58' wire sloping into a tall pine. I have had great success on all bands 80-10m. Four 1/4 wave (for the 40m band) radials are snaking through the back yard attached to an 8' ground rod. The tuner is grounded there as well.. The control cable is connected to the rear of my IC-7200. Just find a frequency, press tune, and you are all set. The tune process is unbelievably fast. If you are unsure about the purchase (as I was), don't be. Just read the brief manual and familiarize yourself with the ATU. I have had rigs in the past with internal tuners and rest assured this AH-4 is 10x better. However, with this arrangement the tuner will not tune 6m. That's okay for now. I have a ground plane for that band... Remember to keep your power around 100 watts. Enjoy! :)

KW1K Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Used it over 15 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
First installed mobile with 102 inch whip and worked everything bu 80 & 160 without ever an issue. Couple years latter used at home station with long wire; again no problems. Moved to a different QTH and a new vertical pipe, flawless operation. Tunes quickly and seems to match a wide range of impedance. Survived heat, humidity, rain, and snow for years now. Could not ask for more.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Top value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easily the best auto atu I've ever used. Highly recommended. Using an 85 foot wire which slopes up to a pole on the gable end of my home. Take time to install a good ground plus either radials or a counterpoise.
Icom's service in the UK second to none.

Dave

ZL1PB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can be easily interfaced with any transceiver. I have a K3 and built the JA1GAC interface. Very easy to build and works perfectly, just remember to reduce power to below 15 watts when tuning. I use it with an as suggested 23 foot vertical, grounded as per the installation manual. it tunes 3.5 to 28mhz. The AH-4 is a great bit of kit, highly recommended.

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 22:21 Send this review to a friend
The single best tuner I've used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the AH-4 to use with my new IC-706MkII in 2001. It was in my truck for 9 years running into a 102" whip and worked like a dream. I took it out when I sold the truck and forgot about it. I just hauled it out because I have moved into an HOA controlled area and can have antennas only as long as "they cannot be seen from the street or the neighbors back yards".
I now run a 60' 24 gauge speaker wire over the roof of my 2 story home (about 35' high) and use 5 counterpoises of various lengths. Works like a dream again. Only problem, as has been mentioned many times, is the 100 watt limit.