Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AH4 auto tuner Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AH4 auto tuner
ICOM AH4  auto tuner Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $319 street price 8/2000
Description: small mobile/base wire tuner 160-6 meters. Remote control with ICOM HF rigs
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/ah4.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM AH4 auto tuner.

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 08:08 Send this review to a friend
A Great Investment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the AH-4 as a stealthy compromise and it works surprisingly well! The unit is mounted on a 4x4 about 18" off the ground with a 58' wire sloping into a tall pine. I have had great success on all bands 80-10m. Four 1/4 wave (for the 40m band) radials are snaking through the back yard attached to an 8' ground rod. The tuner is grounded there as well.. The control cable is connected to the rear of my IC-7200. Just find a frequency, press tune, and you are all set. The tune process is unbelievably fast. If you are unsure about the purchase (as I was), don't be. Just read the brief manual and familiarize yourself with the ATU. I have had rigs in the past with internal tuners and rest assured this AH-4 is 10x better. However, with this arrangement the tuner will not tune 6m. That's okay for now. I have a ground plane for that band... Remember to keep your power around 100 watts. Enjoy! :)

KW1K Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2016 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Used it over 15 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
First installed mobile with 102 inch whip and worked everything bu 80 & 160 without ever an issue. Couple years latter used at home station with long wire; again no problems. Moved to a different QTH and a new vertical pipe, flawless operation. Tunes quickly and seems to match a wide range of impedance. Survived heat, humidity, rain, and snow for years now. Could not ask for more.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Top value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easily the best auto atu I've ever used. Highly recommended. Using an 85 foot wire which slopes up to a pole on the gable end of my home. Take time to install a good ground plus either radials or a counterpoise.
Icom's service in the UK second to none.

Dave

ZL1PB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can be easily interfaced with any transceiver. I have a K3 and built the JA1GAC interface. Very easy to build and works perfectly, just remember to reduce power to below 15 watts when tuning. I use it with an as suggested 23 foot vertical, grounded as per the installation manual. it tunes 3.5 to 28mhz. The AH-4 is a great bit of kit, highly recommended.

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 22:21 Send this review to a friend
The single best tuner I've used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the AH-4 to use with my new IC-706MkII in 2001. It was in my truck for 9 years running into a 102" whip and worked like a dream. I took it out when I sold the truck and forgot about it. I just hauled it out because I have moved into an HOA controlled area and can have antennas only as long as "they cannot be seen from the street or the neighbors back yards".
I now run a 60' 24 gauge speaker wire over the roof of my 2 story home (about 35' high) and use 5 counterpoises of various lengths. Works like a dream again. Only problem, as has been mentioned many times, is the 100 watt limit.

DAVER Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2015 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Perfect For Some (Like Me)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone's covered this in pretty good detail. If you use an Icom radio without an amp... It's incredible. Also makes for some slick portable set ups as well. It's perfect for my set up using ground mounted verticals. I use it on a cut down fishing pole, about 8 inches above a ground radial plate with 20 radials. Works better than I could of hoped. While it will tune pretty much anything you put on there I try to use 1/4 verticals for the radiator made of stealthy wire. I figure the less "tuning" it does, the better.

Only beef I could have with the design is depending on how you plan to use it you may want to change the chords coming out of it. I needed longer chords, so made some changes. Not a design flaw, just me needed to adapt it to my installation.

If you're using an internal tuner to a non-optimal antenna outside... you will see a great improvement by switching over to using it at the feed point instead of in the shack. Can't recommend it enough, if it fits within your set-up (no amp, need multiband radiator, have decent grounding...etc.).

Easily the single best purchase for my compromise station (IC-7200, AH-4, Astron Linear for power)

Dave KD2AKC

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Another 5 star  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ditto to everything said below. I have a horizontal loop fed with 300 ohm ladder line and connected to the top and bottom of the AH-4 and works remarkably well. 160 to 6 in 3 seconds! I have it configured to the IC-7410 on Ant 1 and a dipole on Ant 2 so works both seamlessly. My only regret, not a fault of the tuner, is it won't work with amplifiers.

One picky thing, the antenna comes through the bottom of the top cover, and the control cable through the bottom of the base unit - this is a bit of a challenge to get it all bolted together and keep the water seal in the right place.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Ditto  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with all of the positive reviews. I put up a new ~200ft horizontal loop and fed it with 300 ohm ladder line. Place the leads across antenna and ground and I now have a 160 to 6M antenna and rapid tuning . I'm working with an Icom IC-7410 and if you put the AH-4 on antenna 1 you can still use the internal tuner on antenna 2 jack. This thing is very fast and quiet. I had the case open for a few days as I was getting things configured and there are two indicator lights inside - wish they were visible on the external case. My only complaints: you have to make up the supplied coax; it is fed through the top case and the control cable via the bottom case; and the gasket is a bit difficult to deal with especially with the less than flexible coax hanging from it when putting the case together. Not major issues, just take your time.

KE5CVT Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two and use them in conjunction with Shakespeare AT-1011/U verticle military antennas of 12, 16 & 32 feet. Outstanding performance. As with any antenna/tuner setup, the lower the frequency you go, the more critical the counterpoise and the more copper you need to have in the air to better the performance. Make sure to maintain the watertight integrity along the O ring and you'll be OK. I hear stories of these being mounted on the masts of ships for 15-20 years with flawless service. If you want a plug and play solution where you can hit the PTT from 1.8-60 MHz and it works, the AH-4 is it.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
6 years and AOK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this up just above the roof so the wire doesn't get scratched by the shingles. For six years. Took it down this fall to change out the coax and put it up as soon as the ice melted. Works great. Always. Used with IC-7000 and now with my new IC-7410. I was hesitant to buy it back then because a wire is 15 cents a foot and the tuner is $300. Seemed expensive. Now I know it wasn't. Rain or shine, the tuner has been one of my best purchases in ham radio so far.