Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AH4 auto tuner Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AH4 auto tuner
ICOM AH4  auto tuner Reviews: 136 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $319 street price 8/2000
Description: small mobile/base wire tuner 160-6 meters. Remote control with ICOM HF rigs
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/ah4.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM AH4 auto tuner.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Ditto  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with all of the positive reviews. I put up a new ~200ft horizontal loop and fed it with 300 ohm ladder line. Place the leads across antenna and ground and I now have a 160 to 6M antenna and rapid tuning . I'm working with an Icom IC-7410 and if you put the AH-4 on antenna 1 you can still use the internal tuner on antenna 2 jack. This thing is very fast and quiet. I had the case open for a few days as I was getting things configured and there are two indicator lights inside - wish they were visible on the external case. My only complaints: you have to make up the supplied coax; it is fed through the top case and the control cable via the bottom case; and the gasket is a bit difficult to deal with especially with the less than flexible coax hanging from it when putting the case together. Not major issues, just take your time.

KE5CVT Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2014 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two and use them in conjunction with Shakespeare AT-1011/U verticle military antennas of 12, 16 & 32 feet. Outstanding performance. As with any antenna/tuner setup, the lower the frequency you go, the more critical the counterpoise and the more copper you need to have in the air to better the performance. Make sure to maintain the watertight integrity along the O ring and you'll be OK. I hear stories of these being mounted on the masts of ships for 15-20 years with flawless service. If you want a plug and play solution where you can hit the PTT from 1.8-60 MHz and it works, the AH-4 is it.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
6 years and AOK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this up just above the roof so the wire doesn't get scratched by the shingles. For six years. Took it down this fall to change out the coax and put it up as soon as the ice melted. Works great. Always. Used with IC-7000 and now with my new IC-7410. I was hesitant to buy it back then because a wire is 15 cents a foot and the tuner is $300. Seemed expensive. Now I know it wasn't. Rain or shine, the tuner has been one of my best purchases in ham radio so far.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, it does a superb job with my Icom IC-718. Loading up a CB Shakespeare Big Stick on 10M until I get my Ultimax100 end-fed. Then it should load that one up real nice from 6M to 80M.

W0FEN Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this along with a IC-706MKiig about 10 years ago. I have used the 706 mostly for 2M. This year for Field Day I would be traveling. I decided to install the 706 and AH4 mobile for FD. I had used the Hustler system about 30 years ago and it was very good. It did require stopping and retuning a resonator to QSY on a band for best performance or changing it for a band change. I lost the Hustler resonators and had to purchase a replacement. I decided on 'Ham-Stick' 20M antenna mounted to the trailer hitch using the AH4 for tuning. It works perfect!!! I am even able to tune it on Bands lower than 20M. I know the efficiency is down on the longer wavelengths but no stopping is involved. Fantastic! It interfaces perfectly with the 706. I am happy that I was able to work FD mobile.

N4EYZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Good dependable tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my AH4 shortly after purchasing my 706G back in 2001. I ran the tuner mobile first in my personal truck (mounted vertically) and then in a company truck again mounted vertically. I took that truck up many many rough tower roads and that tuner got a lot of bouncing around. I ran the tuner into a 40 meter Hamstick mounted on the side of the truck tool bed. I worked 80 meters thru 6 daily for probably 4 years from that truck. I am retired now and the AH4 is mounted at the base of a Hustler 5BTV. Again with pretty good results considering my install. The tuner has always been dependable. My only problem has been during two different electrical storms I've taken a small hit thru the tuner cable to my 706. The tuner has never been harmed but the 706 didn't fare so well. Repaired both times by N1EQ and there is now protection between the two.

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this tuner a few days using it with my mobile rig and various hamstick style mobile antennas. It's tuned everything I've thrown at it from the low end of 80 thru 6m. I've used hamstick ants for many years & now the AH-4 allows the convenience of changing bands/freqs from the rig instead of stop, get out, change hamstick, possibly tune hamstick's stinger ... etc. The only thing I found problematic was the delicate gasket. Doesn't want to stay in place during reassembly when mounted vertically.

KK7GB Rating: 2/5 Apr 14, 2013 20:11 Send this review to a friend
case not robust enough for mounting vertically in a mobile app.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mounted the unit vertically on the inside of my pickup truck bed. The functionality of the tuner was excellent. The problem is that the circuit board is attached to the caswe via plastic standoffs. The standoffs broke and caused the circuit board to short out, taking the 708 finals with it.

If you use it in a mobile application, do not mount it vertically! Aslo, I would try to figure out a way to add more cushioning.

AA8XR Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 20:27 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a couple different basic tuners and auto tuners. I sm so happy to finally have this tuner. As it is only the second day of ownership I will wait until I have done more with it before saying much more. I just know that it is wonderful to finally have the right tuner for the radios (IC718 and IC738, which was originally used with the Ah3). I run mobile 80-10 and house same bands. But with antenna restrictions and an association it is nice to have something that can load a mere piece of wire. Love it!

ZS1JY Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2013 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is another review of the same tuner that I've purchased many years ago. After my IC706MkIIG, this rates as my second-best ham radio purchase! It manages to tune my 31ft vertical on all bands from 40m to 6m (the tuner being situated at the base of the vertical, with about 12 radials of various lengths). It performs very well during CW and RTTY contests, normally managing Q's with west coast of USA and Canada, even on 40m! Of course, good propagation conditions helps to increase the Q count. Photos on my QRZ.com web page.