Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AH4 auto tuner Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AH4 auto tuner
ICOM AH4  auto tuner Reviews: 145 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $319 street price 8/2000
Description: small mobile/base wire tuner 160-6 meters. Remote control with ICOM HF rigs
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/ah4.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM AH4 auto tuner.

KQ4BX Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've studied every document I could find on the AH-4, then read every review. I studied antenna theory until I was blue. I came to one conclusion, the tuner is perfect.
Those that gave it low ratings, no matter what class license they hold, did not study enough. If the tuner gets hot, it is your antenna that has problems, not your tuner. Or maybe you neglected the power rating, so how is that the fault of the tuner? If you can't tune 160 meters, it's your antenna that needs a longer wire. If you had other problems, you probably had a poor ground, or no ground at all. The AH-4 exceeds its specifications, and that was a wise move by Icom. How can anybody complain when the product surpasses its advertised abilities? Some have found a way. Before you condemn the AH-4, take a good hard look at your antenna and grounding situation. Of course, there is always the possibility of getting a lemon. That does not make it a bad product, it just makes you unlucky. If you buy the tuner used, you are trusting that the previous owner didn't over power it, or have a poor setup that heated the tuner excessively. Offer no reviews of used tuners unless they are good reviews. nobody cares if you bought an abused tuner and you want all hams to know that you got burned, so you are going to trash the tuner in a review. I plan to connect the AH-4 to a 1/2 G5RV. After a lot of reading, I see that many have done that, and gotten very good results. How many of you used a 1:1 balun between the G5RV and the AH-4? Isn't the ladder line a balanced line, and isn't the tuner expecting an unbalanced line? So my G5RV will have a 1:1 balun between it and the AH-4. I'm waiting on the delivery of this excellent balun. "Manufacturer: Balun Designs" 1:1 Balun 1.5 - 54MHz 5kw - #1115
SKU: 1115 Price: $66.95

They will make the balun with wire connections on both sides. Cut the SO-239 from your G5RV (the balanced output) and feed the wire into the balun. Then take the wire output of the balun (unbalanced) and feed it to your tuner. Bring the ground lead to ground, and be sure to have a good ground or you will have problems.
This looks like a good setup to me, can anybody agree?

VA7DXC Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2010 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the AH-4 with a 16m long wire loop folded around my condo balcony. Even with the folded elements, metal railing and steel reinforced concrete the coupler works great for 40 thru 6m. It will tune up on 80 and 160 but performance is of course limited with only 16m of wire!

I take the unit when travelling and have used it with fullsize quads and dipoles for 160-6m. Simple one button tuning on the front of my IC-7000 makes quick band changes a piece of cake.

WB6FQZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2010 20:13 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two AH-4 tuners. One is mounted on the ladder of my motorhome feeding a 30' vertical and the other is for portable use specifically Field Day. This thing flat works! To the few posters that gave it a bad mark, You're not not doing it right!

AC2C Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner !  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom AH-4 is ground-mounted and drives a 110' long inverted "L". It quickly matches on 160M through 6M and I have not found any spots that it will not match.

The tuner mates seamlessly with my Icom IC-756Pro3.

WP4FJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2010 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Under rain, wind, hot, salty weather, this unit performs outstanding. I am currently using it on a Loop configuration. As Icom states tunes 3.5-to-54 Mhz, the only thing left for me is to try tune a light bulb with it.

W2JUV Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed an AH-4 in June 2006 and it works perfect. It's connected to a 125ft wire and tunes 160m-10m. Yes, it tunes 160m, even though rated for 80-10m, it handles 160m fine business.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2009 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great 75-10 tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works fine with a Zero-Five 43 foot vertical. I mounted mine inside a Tupperware container to keep snow and rain from the terminals, and it works. The long cable run wasn't much fun for the power/control, but it gets extra points for easy set up

W4GZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2009 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several AH-4s. I use one mounted back in my truck tool box and into a 6 foot whip. It works great on 40 through 10 mtrs. I have one at my shop hooked to a 400 foot loop...works fine. Here at the house I have one up in the attic that feeds a 75 mtr dipole simply running along the shingles of my roof ridge (center at 32 feet) and then running down the hips. I work anyone I can hear on most bands. They all tune really fast and have been trouble free for 3 years now.

W4GZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2009 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Eccellent  Time owned: more than 12 months

ZS1JY Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2009 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Works great with a vertical wire  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the AH-4 for several years now on a half-size G5RV, but as the sunpots started thinning out, my success rate decreased since the dipole was not 1/2 wavelength above ground. I then hooked up a vertical wire of about 21 feet long, offset about 2m from the QTH wall, with the AH-4 at ground level, affixed to a 3 foot ground spike, plus the 4 wires from a 20m and 40m dipole as above-ground ground wires. During the 2009 WPX CW contest I made 50 Q's including with W7 on 40m, plus many European stations on 20m! This tuner is just amazing!