Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Palstar SP30B Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar SP30B
Palstar SP30B Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Wooden enclosure small communications speaker
More info: http://palstar.com/sp30.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar SP30B.

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2016 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have owned our SP30 for about 4 years now and feel the audio replication is excellent. We also like the fact that Palstar
Gives us more than one connect option.

We made up a connection cable to our radio in a matter of minutes. A very simple operation. Also the construction and fit of the speaker is perfect. Thanks Paul and company for making such a fine quality product.

N8FVJ Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2016 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Worthless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered speaker. It does not come with any wiring or jacks to connect to radio. The Kenwood TS-590SG does not come with a speaker jack either. They used to include all the jacks. So, I am not an electronics shop. The speaker is worthless.

KX9R Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced an MFJ speaker with this Palstar speaker based on the reviews. I am very pleased with the product and disposed of the MFJ speaker.

K9RFZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2016 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Much better than SP-30  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the Palstar SP-30 for several years and recently wrote a review. I'm not certain why it receives glowing reviews except for a few who recognize some of the design flaws. Apparently the SP-30 changed design somewhere along its production run.

The newer SP-30B is a much better unit. I recently purchased an SP-30B based on Palstar's reputation and the very positive reviews on eham. I am very pleased with the warm and crisp quality of the 30B. It is well-crafted and does help intelligibility on weaker stations at the edge of noise limits.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Surpasses Expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted better sound from my K3 than the top firing built in speaker (which is not bad, by the way). I've tried various 'mobile' speakers and matched speakers from a variety of manufacturers with less than stellar results.
I saw the impressive reviews for the Palstar SP30B here on e Ham and decided to give it a try.
I ordered it from DX Engineering and it arrived in 3 days. Double boxed and very carefully packed.

Results are outstanding. In size it complements both my K3 and FT5000D (though not an exact match) The sound is richer and fuller and the A/B tests with other speakers proved this to hams and non-hams (XYL) I had listen.
I got the black model to match most of my ham equipment.

The Palstar SP30B is a great after market speaker
for the K3 and other radios and I recommend it highly.

KI4RYV Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2015 14:32 Send this review to a friend
its just ok but good value!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Im an audio person and knows the difference in audio tube amps and solid state. So Im going to be a bit critical. The case is thick wood and thus reduces vibrating sounds that many thin metal case do. Its got a solid feel and sound with three different types of audio connections on the rear.

The reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 is because Palstar speaker dosent sound any better than a 20 year old Yaesu SP-6 speaker (both sound good so not a bad thing). And the Yeasu used price is about $100 and offers two inputs with a switch between, audio filters and a headphone jack on the front (Palstar has none of this)

AB9TX Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2015 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Crisp Audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Normally I wouldn't do a small speaker review, because what is to it? A box, speaker and a connector right? Well, after suffering with the tinny sounding speaker in my Yaseu FT450d, decided to try Palstar's sp30b small speaker, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much improved and easier it is to listen to SSB and CW. Well worth the 100 bucks. The speaker is very well made, heavier than what I was expecting. The voice coil has to be extremely efficient to put out that much audio from the 2 watts provided by the rig. full volume, no buzzing or clipping. No filters or switching included, which is fine as most rigs now days have that built in. 1/8" and pigtail connections provided on the back. The black version matches the Yaseu nicely.
Well done Palstar.

WN6F Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Forces me to stay active  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Normally a speaker doesn't do justice to both AM music AND cw/ssb, and you have to choose. The Palstar SP30B does both to my surprise.

I knew within minutes that I made the right choice as a replacement for my metal-boxed oem speaker with some tinny resonant artifacts.

Basically, the quality of the speaker makes me want to spend more time with the radio than I normally do.

I resisted the temptation to rave about something just because it was new to my shack - I've been down that road before. I can easily say that the Palstar will be part of my shack as long as I'm around.

K6MWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2014 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Soilid Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced a Icom SP-21 with this speaker. Nicer fidelity. Deeper, not so tinny, and hash and static are a bit easier to listen to. Sound is not hollow or echoy. No DSP, but my rig has it (FT 897-D), and the price reflects that it is simply an extension speaker that makes it all somewhat easier to listen to. Would buy again for sure. $99 is great deal considering the performance, and build quality. Made in USA.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 05:46 Send this review to a friend
I have two  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Several others have commented on using the SP30B with the Elecraft K3. My K3 has both receivers, and I use them for diversity as well as DX chasing. I have a Sennheiser PC350 stereo headset for phone operating, plus two Palstar SP30B speakers, as I often prefer listening to CW that way. The SP30B speakers sound so good, I have a tendency to just use them to listen to most everything, more than I expected that I would. They are the right size, the right color, the right impedance, the right sensitivity ... in short, about as good a match as you can get for this application. They replaced some Motorola mobile communications speakers, which were pretty good too, but the SP30B are better.