Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lowe SRX-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Lowe SRX-30
Lowe SRX-30 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Also badged the "Century 21" receiver. Made in Japan, 1980-82. Triple conversion, Wadley Loop circuitry. Coverage .500 - 30 MHz, modes AM, USB and LSB.

You can write your own review of the Lowe SRX-30.

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2012 19:18 Send this review to a friend
This thing has muscle.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In 1980 the SRX-30 was a competitor to the Yaesu FRG-7 & Radio Shack DX-300, its price point lying in between those two. I just bought an SRX-30, used and for a decent price. I wasn't sure what to expect. Well...I plugged it in to see if the lights worked & was hearing CW. I hadn't even connected an antenna! No lack of sensitivity on this radio. To be brief: the SRX-30 is one of those 'just a short length of wire' type of rigs. It really pulls them in, from MW to 10 meters.

My biggest surprise is that its stable. I mean completely stable. Within minutes of connecting a wire I had excellent SSB copies on the Ham, aeronautical & marine bands -- and I never had to touch up the BFO (clarifier). I didn't expect this level of stability at all, I was in fact expecting drift. Which I thankfully didn't get. The radio also has a powerful audio stage, so be careful with the volume control. Medium wave broadcast stations sound excellent, just enough tone to be comfortable on the ears, none of that shrill stuff.

Yes, outside trash does break in on certain parts of certain bands, but that's pretty normal for a lower priced rig of this vintage. Regardless of that I'm extremely pleased with this older, somewhat rare rig. I do not hesitate to rate this an excellent value for the money and therefore an enthusiastic "5". A darn fun general coverage rig for less than $200.