Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha ProMaster Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha ProMaster Antenna
Alpha ProMaster Antenna  Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $299
Description: The Alpha ProMaster is a line of complete base & transportable HF base or transportable antennas.
More info: http://alphaantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha ProMaster Antenna .

W9FTV Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2017 08:01 Send this review to a friend
ProMaster   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this antenna for about a month and have been quite impressed. Setup is fast and painless.
Although the it's currently propped up on our back deck at about 3 meters, I've had some great QSO's with AS Russia, Oceania, most of Europe and South America.

It does require some slight tuning, but nothing a an ATU can't handle. Max SWR is limited to approximately 1.7:1 on covered bands. SWR on 6 meters is approximately 2.1:1
All in all, I highly recommend it for those with restricted space.
The guys at Alpha Antenna a great to work with
and very helpful.

K1JLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2017 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Pro Master Jr. Withstands 02/2017 blizzard   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well the blizzard of Feb. 2017 has passed. Rockland MA had 12” of snow officially with drifts of up to 20”.

Wind gusts topped out at 46 mph.

There was no icing up on the ProMasterJr and this morning the reception is extremely good (possibly due to snow?) . I would say the Pro Master Jr withstood an extreme New England Nor’easter without any issues.

NOTE: the 60’ EMCOMM withstood the storm just as well. Great job AlphaAntenna!

K1JLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Pro Master Jr 10-80m vertical.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
New to the hobby in 2016, I purchased a alpha antenna military whip to get on the air.
Realizing a new england winter was coming i needed a sturdy antenna so I purchased Pro Master Jr 10-80m vertical.
It took 20 minutes to assemble, tune, and get in the air at 30'.
What a difference in reception and transmitting.
Love AlphAntenna company, they are extremely supportive, even responded to a support email on a Sunday morning. Thanks Steve!

KN6Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2016 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Not much of a compromise   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was asked to operate at an event that I knew there were no trees I could sling a dipole into. I had been wanting to get a new portable antenna anyway and wanted one that I could erect and tear down myself in a short period of time. I quickly settled on the Alpha Promaster and haven't regretted it.

I'm not a backpacker operator, but I like to operate portable. This isn't a backpacking antenna, it's a car camping antenna. It's lightweight and has a great carrying bag, with a tripod it's about the size and weight of a light camping cot. I goes perfectly with the rest of my camping gear.

I have the regular Promaster (there are also Jr. and Sr. versions) that does 10-80 without a tuner. I bought it in October 2016, and this version has a single horizontal 24' wire element that attaches to the matching unit where the 17' aluminum vertical element also attaches. This, along with the ground wire also helps guy it. The aluminum elements are held together with hose clamps and slide into each other when put away. Even though I've only done it twice, I can get it up in less than 15 minutes, its very simple to put up.

I've used it twice now, once for a JOTA event at a scout camp and once for a NPOTA activation. It sang both times. Particularly the NPOTA activation, I operated on 20 meters from Waco Texas at 100 Watts and was working stations all over the US, 25 different states in one hour from East Coast to West Cost and everything in between, including other portables and Park to Park. Sure, the band conditions were decent, but it exceeded anything I could have expected.

So to sum it up, it's well built, easy to deploy, and performs great. I highly recommend it.

Tom KN6Q

WQ0Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 11:47 Send this review to a friend
I liked it so much I use it as a permanent antenna.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Verticals are always an interesting subject. Some love them and some condemn them. I have had very good luck with this model. I first used it portable on a tripod but a few weeks ago I installed it as one of my permanent antennas. My lot is 6000 feet above sea level and that helps but I also used this antenna in Texas at a few hundred feet and it worked very well. I have logged many stateside QSOs and over 24 countries since setting it up in the current configuration. Another very positive thing is that the company, Alpha Antennas is great to deal with. They answer questions, return calls and offer suggestions on setup that makes a good antenna even better. I have used other verticals costing much more that did not perform as well as this one. It is extremely sturdy—we get gusts here in the foothills of Colorado-they are often strong and sudden. After a few weeks of that type of weather, the antenna is still perfect vertical and still performing well. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this antenna or any other product from this company.

K4BAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 07:10 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being inactive for 20 years,I was looking for a simple,effective antenna to go with my new Icom 7000 radio This antenna met those criteria. I've worked USA east coast and west coast,2 provinces of Canada,Bahamas,and northern Italy in the last few weeks. Now that I have one reliable antenna,I can experiment with other antenna types.Alpha is coming out with a beam antenna in April. Anxious to see what they come up with. A tripod mounted beam would be interesting.I have no connection with this company. Thanks for reading....73

KJ7FX Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2013 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna and Customer Service from the Mfg.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna three weeks ago after doing extensive research on portable HF antenna's. I wanted a portable HF antenna to support RACES / ARES activities. This antenna meets the need perfectly.
The ordering process was easy, shipment quick, and quality of the antenna is great. I had one minor problem with the tripod which the Amateur Radio Store took care of immediately, shipping out the replacement part.
I have a Yaesu Ft-897D connected to the antenna. Worked 10 - 80 meters with great results, SWR on all bands using Yaesu FC-30 Tuner is below 2.0. I highly recommend the antenna and the Amateur Radio Store.

VE4DXR Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the opportunity to try the Alpha Pro Master on a recent mini sailing dxpedition to activate George Island Light station Can 845 which is located on Lake Winnipeg, MB (VE4 land). I set up the Alpha Pro Master on the dock at George Island Harbour. The four radiating /guy wires could not be extended in four quadrant directions but I managed to separate them as much as possible considering the restrictions of the dock. The antenna worked excellent on HF bringing in stations from Europe, Australia, South Cook Island, New Caledonia and many destinations in Canada and the USA. George Island is so far north the VHF marine radio did not copy any WX broadcasts. This antenna proved to be a real asset to have along. I called on hams on HF who read me the WX forecasts for Lake Winnipeg North Basin from a link I had on my qrz.com page. It allowed me to be safe by deciding when to stay put and when to leave the Island. Back in Winnipeg, a local net gets together on 3.747 Mhz every evening. I was able to have qso with stations 110 nautical miles away and pass traffic to my wife so she knew I was safe since there was no cellphone service. The omni directional radiation of this antenna performed better than the onboard home brew delta loop in some situations. The delta loop has broad side lobes and it did not work over the North Pole when the boat was docked facing North-South yet the Alppha Pro Master performed reliably and went the distance in all directions. There was no reason to use the Buddy Pole system my friend Peter, VE4TTH, lent me even once on the entire 23 day adventure.
This is my third Alpha Antenna purchase and like the others it has not disappointed. I like the shoulder bag and tripod that comes with it. I plan to take it for land based portable operations in the near and distant future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
73 and good DX.

KD0SLC Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this at Dayton this year from the guys at Alpha. They manufacture their stuff in Greenwood, MO, and they are a terrific bunch of people to work with. They answered my questions and they provided me with lots of additional information when requested.
Here is what I've learned about the antenna. Compared to a Comet 255B mounted at 20 feet, it does not have the range to permit much in the way of DX. Hooked to my Kenwood TS-590, the Alpha was noisier on 40 meters than the Comet, although it had the same SWR. I live in Jefferson City, MO. I was listening to a station in Eugene Oregon who was booming in at +10 and when I switched to the Alpha, that dropped to about a 7. The signal was not nearly as strong, but still heard very easily. I did not engage a tuner and go to 160 meters, but stuck in the 10, 20 and 40 meter bands to give this antenna a run through. I thought it was a good choice for Field Day, or for those who want to work portable from locations with good elevation above terrain.
It is not a good bet for a stealth antenna because it has four guy wires that are actually part of the antenna system and that must be connected for the antenna to radiate. But for what it was designed for (portable antenna for QRP operation) it sings. I like the antenna, and I especially like the people I deal with at Alpha. The only reason I would not give this a 5 is that it was noisy on 40 meters. Otherwise, as others here have noted, you can't get a simpler or easier antenna to set up and use in a hurry. This is perfect for Field Day or disaster drills.

AE4X Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Simply fantastic!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried several portable antenna systems over the years and all had sub par performance. I then decided to try the Alpha ProMaster antenna system and I'll never go back. From the fantastic and personable customer service, to a great website with video demonstrations to the system itself- this brings the fun back in portable operation! After maybe 5 minutes out of the package, I had this tripod system up and running. It's so simple! It can almost serve as a permanent antenna. Everything comes in a portable carry bag (separate purchase but well worth it). The antenna itself comes in a foldable design and the tripod system with counterpoise wires is all connected already. SWR on all bands is 1.5 or less and that's without my auto antenna tuner. Already have logged Russia, Crotia, France..to name a few. This is a quality product and I'll certainly be back to look at this fine company and their other products. Extremely happy and I know you'll be, too.