Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha ProMaster Antenna - 6-160 Meters at 1KW PEP Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha ProMaster Antenna - 6-160 Meters at 1KW PEP
Alpha ProMaster Antenna - 6-160 Meters at 1KW PEP Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $349
Description: The ProMaster from Alpha Antenna is available in the original ProMaster Jr configuration and the accessorized Gold edition.

The Alpha ProMaster Jr Antenna is a complete deployment package for setting up an efficient 6-80 Meter antenna solution you can tune to listen on 160 meters.

For an all-in-one 6-80 Meter Mobile, Base, and Field system, which consists of an accessorized ProMaster Jr, consider Alpha Antennaís ProMaster Gold edition.

For a permanent transportable installations, consider the ProMaster Sr Base antenna.

More info: http://amateurradiostore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha ProMaster Antenna - 6-160 Meters at 1KW PEP.

K4BAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 07:10 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being inactive for 20 years,I was looking for a simple,effective antenna to go with my new Icom 7000 radio This antenna met those criteria. I've worked USA east coast and west coast,2 provinces of Canada,Bahamas,and northern Italy in the last few weeks. Now that I have one reliable antenna,I can experiment with other antenna types.Alpha is coming out with a beam antenna in April. Anxious to see what they come up with. A tripod mounted beam would be interesting.I have no connection with this company. Thanks for reading....73

KE7WVP Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2013 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna and Customer Service from the Mfg.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna three weeks ago after doing extensive research on portable HF antenna's. I wanted a portable HF antenna to support RACES / ARES activities. This antenna meets the need perfectly.
The ordering process was easy, shipment quick, and quality of the antenna is great. I had one minor problem with the tripod which the Amateur Radio Store took care of immediately, shipping out the replacement part.
I have a Yaesu Ft-897D connected to the antenna. Worked 10 - 80 meters with great results, SWR on all bands using Yaesu FC-30 Tuner is below 2.0. I highly recommend the antenna and the Amateur Radio Store.

VE4DXR Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the opportunity to try the Alpha Pro Master on a recent mini sailing dxpedition to activate George Island Light station Can 845 which is located on Lake Winnipeg, MB (VE4 land). I set up the Alpha Pro Master on the dock at George Island Harbour. The four radiating /guy wires could not be extended in four quadrant directions but I managed to separate them as much as possible considering the restrictions of the dock. The antenna worked excellent on HF bringing in stations from Europe, Australia, South Cook Island, New Caledonia and many destinations in Canada and the USA. George Island is so far north the VHF marine radio did not copy any WX broadcasts. This antenna proved to be a real asset to have along. I called on hams on HF who read me the WX forecasts for Lake Winnipeg North Basin from a link I had on my qrz.com page. It allowed me to be safe by deciding when to stay put and when to leave the Island. Back in Winnipeg, a local net gets together on 3.747 Mhz every evening. I was able to have qso with stations 110 nautical miles away and pass traffic to my wife so she knew I was safe since there was no cellphone service. The omni directional radiation of this antenna performed better than the onboard home brew delta loop in some situations. The delta loop has broad side lobes and it did not work over the North Pole when the boat was docked facing North-South yet the Alppha Pro Master performed reliably and went the distance in all directions. There was no reason to use the Buddy Pole system my friend Peter, VE4TTH, lent me even once on the entire 23 day adventure.
This is my third Alpha Antenna purchase and like the others it has not disappointed. I like the shoulder bag and tripod that comes with it. I plan to take it for land based portable operations in the near and distant future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
73 and good DX.

KD0SLC Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this at Dayton this year from the guys at Alpha. They manufacture their stuff in Greenwood, MO, and they are a terrific bunch of people to work with. They answered my questions and they provided me with lots of additional information when requested.
Here is what I've learned about the antenna. Compared to a Comet 255B mounted at 20 feet, it does not have the range to permit much in the way of DX. Hooked to my Kenwood TS-590, the Alpha was noisier on 40 meters than the Comet, although it had the same SWR. I live in Jefferson City, MO. I was listening to a station in Eugene Oregon who was booming in at +10 and when I switched to the Alpha, that dropped to about a 7. The signal was not nearly as strong, but still heard very easily. I did not engage a tuner and go to 160 meters, but stuck in the 10, 20 and 40 meter bands to give this antenna a run through. I thought it was a good choice for Field Day, or for those who want to work portable from locations with good elevation above terrain.
It is not a good bet for a stealth antenna because it has four guy wires that are actually part of the antenna system and that must be connected for the antenna to radiate. But for what it was designed for (portable antenna for QRP operation) it sings. I like the antenna, and I especially like the people I deal with at Alpha. The only reason I would not give this a 5 is that it was noisy on 40 meters. Otherwise, as others here have noted, you can't get a simpler or easier antenna to set up and use in a hurry. This is perfect for Field Day or disaster drills.

AE4X Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Simply fantastic!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried several portable antenna systems over the years and all had sub par performance. I then decided to try the Alpha ProMaster antenna system and I'll never go back. From the fantastic and personable customer service, to a great website with video demonstrations to the system itself- this brings the fun back in portable operation! After maybe 5 minutes out of the package, I had this tripod system up and running. It's so simple! It can almost serve as a permanent antenna. Everything comes in a portable carry bag (separate purchase but well worth it). The antenna itself comes in a foldable design and the tripod system with counterpoise wires is all connected already. SWR on all bands is 1.5 or less and that's without my auto antenna tuner. Already have logged Russia, Crotia, France..to name a few. This is a quality product and I'll certainly be back to look at this fine company and their other products. Extremely happy and I know you'll be, too.

W2WIR Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 18:19 Send this review to a friend
What a great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a temporary antenna to tide me over until I move to my permanent QTH. The Alpha ProMaster Sr. seemed to fit the bill. When it arrived I saw that the materials and workmanship were excellent. Everything fit into the padded bag perfectly. It was easy to set up and the Alpha turner gave me a 1.5:1 SWR on every band. Now for the real test. My temporary QTH only has enough space for my Icom 706MKIIG barefoot at 100W. Right out of the box I was able to work Europe and South America stations on 20M with 59 reports. From my Northeast location I had no trouble working Southeast and Midwest stations. I have not had much time to operate so I have not checked out the other bands. But I can say that so far I am really impressed with the performance from such a compact antenna. I called A.R.S. and talked to Steve (the owner) to tell him about my experience. He said that my experience was what he hears all the time. He told me that if I didnít mind moving the tap on a tuning coil for band changing the DX QRP works even better. I ordered one to use for field day.

KB3ZOR Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 16:06 Send this review to a friend
My experience with the Alpha ProMaster Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Alpha ProMaster Sr Antenna 6-160 Meter system (portable) is an awesome product. As a new HAM (6 months) I was not sure what would be a good starter rig. After some extensive research I settled on the Kenwood TS-590s, Alinco DM-330MV, and the Alpha ProMaster Sr Antenna system. This antenna is amazing. The system is basically a vertical whip on top of a tripod with four 30ft radials as part of the antenna system. An Alpha Match (impedance matching unit) also is provided as a digital antenna tuner. The TS-590s has a good built-in antenna tuner, and when combined with the Alpha Match provides a good pairing. I have no problem reaching Europe, Central America, etc., and practically all parts of the US. My first contact was in Germany. Setting up the antenna system took about 15 minutes including the 30ft radials and Alpha Match. I have been using this antenna system for about 5 month and so far have pleased with the result.

AA2NH Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 07:33 Send this review to a friend
My ProMaster & Alpha Antenna experience for the last year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Here is my story over the past year of my relationship with the Alpha ProMaster Antenna and the Alpha Antenna company. The antenna took about two weeks to arrive and was shipped professionally in a 20x6x6 200lb test cardboard box. The bag fit perfectly into the box and as I slid it out I could immediately tell this product presented itself well. The bag has a front pouch where the Alpha Match was stored separately. On the front pouch was high end stitching. A detailed look at the bag showed me that the seams were well stitched and it was clear from the thickness of the padding between the outer and inner shells of the bag, it could easily be used in unforgiving environments. The first thing to come out of the bag was the four radiating elements that are attached by O-Rings to the mount that goes on top of the tripod. These radiating elements are constructed of what I have been told are outdoor rated 16 gauge wires. Upon close examination of these elements, I can see on one end are the O-Rings that have been crimped onto the wire, which has been tinned. Over the sheath of the O-Ring and overlapping the wire they have placed a 1 inch piece of black shrink tubing. On the other end is an 8-inch long steel spike where a plastic insulator is used to separate the wire from the metal spike. Here the wires are looped through the plastic insulator and affixed somehow under another piece of black shrink tubing. Back at the mount, the O-Rings are held in place permanently on the mount, as they are placed between the top female stud and the nylon washer. The next thing to come out of the bag was the tripod. It was immediately clear to me that this tripod was either custom built or at the very least had under gone modifications to enable the mount and elements to easily fit over the top section. It was an easy matter of just tightening four bolts and nuts to install the mount. I thought it was cool that the steel spikes and radiating element wires serve as the guying system for this antenna, and after a matter of about 2 minutes I had pressed the spikes by hand into the ground and extended the tripod, which is pretty high! Extending the tripod was a simple matter of just loosening a the couplers then extending the tripods legs and mast sections. The last pice to come out of the bag was heavy duty stainless steel telescopic whip, which I am very impressed with. I screwed the whip onto the mount after it was fully extended. At this point installed the Alpha Match and attached my coax. While I still was holding the Alpha Match, which is a plastic box about 6x6x4, I examined it closely. It appears as though it has been sealed, although if I were to leave it outdoors for an extended period of time or in the rain I would definitely enclose it in a Tupperware container or something similar. So, I preceded to run my 25 foot section of RG8x coax to my MFJ-259B antenna analyzer. I was so excited to see that I would not need a tuner for SWR or reactance on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, or 80 meters!! I hooked the coax up to my rig and by the end of the first day; I had racked up 39 contacts from Germany, Japan, Costa Rica, and many state-side contacts. Over the past few months, I have logged hundreds of QSOs and have taken the antenna camping, to relativesí houses, and even to a Christmas Party. I've learned that I can trust the service from Alpha Antenna too, as when one of the radiating elements broke from when I stepped on it, I called them about repairing it and instead they sent me another one, no problem! 40 Meters has become a favorite band of mine now with this antenna it's as easy as punching the button on the internal tuner on my rig and then transmitting. I'd definitely recommend this company and antenna to a friend!

KA6UTD Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Easier to deploy & use plus works fine!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Antenna arrived a little more than a week after I ordered it in a brand new box that only had a few scuffs from it being shipped. When I opened the box I noticed that the padded bag fit in it perfectly, so I'm keeping the box as an extra precaution to keep even the bag looking prestine. First impression? As you can tell, I'm a person who really scrutinizes appearance, as well as performance. The padded bag has enough padding to keep everyting from getting dents or nicks during just about any type of trek to a camping site or just from being in the trunk of a car. The double stitching and webbed handles and shoulder strap look like they'll hold up for my lifetime of use. I would have liked that the clips that hold the shoulder strap on be made of metal instead of the nylon infused plastic clips that they appear to made out of. Though the extra padded pouch on the front of the bag is a neat added feature. Overall, the entire antenna system has good construction with an overall appearance that is as good as the best I've seen. The front facing pouch contained the manual and the transmatch, which is used to tune the antenna system. The lined inner pouch contained the tripod, the stainless steel whip, and 'radiating elements'. At the end of each radiating element is a metal nail like spike that is fully insulated from the radiating elements. Once the spikes are in the ground, then the radiating elements form the guy wires that extend from the mount where they are affixed with o-rings and shrink tubing. Also at the mount is where you screw the stainless steel whip, which is very heavy duty, even at the base of the whip. Under the mount and at the antenna is where the Alpha Match transmatch/tuner is and should be mounted. The Alpha Match conveniently attaches with the adapters that are built into the match and mount. Once setup (about a 5 minute process), the whole antenna system extends 8.5 feet on an excellently designed aluminum tripod system.

How does it work compared to my other portable antenna systems? I'm not going to name the manufacturers of my other two portable antenna systems that I've used for 2 years in this review, but suffice to say that they are two of the most popular ones made for amateur radio. My first impression of the audio was that the noise floor of the QRM was lower than my other antennas. I tuned to a signal on 40 meters that was about an S6 and swapped the coax to my other antennas. The S6 dropped to an S5 on one of the antennas and stayed at about an S6 on the other one, however, the noise was up about 2 S units on the other antennas. After the QSO was over I was hearing I made a CQ and both of the operators came back to me. We talked for 30 minutes about signal strengths, antenna types, and such. The first operator was using a 40 meter horizontal loop at 30 feet in their trees and gave me an S7, which was the same I was reading them at nearly 900 miles away. The second gave me an S8, while they were also an S7, and were using a 43 foot S9 antenna. Now that I've owned the ProMaster for a several months now, I've generally found it to be my go to antenna. Since having it, I've had DX coming in strong from Europe and by simply chaning the placement of the radiating elements, I log plenty of Australian contacts. It's great to have an easy to use antenna that works as well as this one does. I also want to comment on how small the bag is that this antenna system fits into. I can take it anywhere!

WA7JFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Small Bag, Quick Setup, Easy Use, Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd normally wait to use an antenna for a while before posting a review, but I knew right away that this was something that everyone should hear before making any other antenna purchase. The guys at Alpha Antenna hire veterans that are out of work! This is an American Company with values that show from the support they provide to the quality of their antenna system.

I got the Alpha ProMaster Antenna about two weeks after placing my order, as everything is hand built to order. It was well worth the wait!

The antenna setup in 5 minutes just like the YouTube video described, and I was on the air making QSO's. I was getting too old to keep getting up to change the clip on coils like my other antenna required, and the Alpha ProMaster Antenna really makes operating much easier because it does all of the tuning automatically.

The first contact was over 5,600 miles away in Hungary on 10 Meters and my next contact was on 80 meters and in South Carolina, which is over 2300 miles. After making these two QSOs, I hooked up my LDG tuner and headed to 160 Meters, where I made 4 contacts as far away as Nebraska (1200 miles from my QTH).

It is so easy to setup, that I plan on buying one of these antenna systems as a gift for a disabled ham. If you end up buying one too, you won't be disappointed in the product, performance, or company. Everything is great!