Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | AOR ARD-25 APCO 25 Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for AOR ARD-25 APCO 25 Decoder
AOR ARD-25 APCO 25 Decoder Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $499
Description: The AOR ARD25 can decode APCO 25 digital signals on analog receivers that have a 10.7MHz IF output.
More info: http://www.aorusa.com/others/ard25.html

You can write your own review of the AOR ARD-25 APCO 25 Decoder.

DXTUNER Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2012 16:13 Send this review to a friend
It works fine.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this recently as an add-on to my Icom IC-R7000, so I can occassionally drop in on local & state police (both are now on P25 trunking systems) while tuning around my usual VHF/UHF utilities. Well, it does the job! Ok, obviously I cant 'trunk track' with it, but the local PD frequencies are squashed into a 2 MHz segment, so following them manually with the R7000s large tuning knob isn't much problem. The ARD-25 is small but well built ("like a tank") inside a stout metal case. So while you're gasping at the price at least consider the construction quality.

Some users complain that the ARD-25 doesn't decode P25 "all that well." That's not true, actually it does. The trick is that you need to be right on frequency. I.e., if your radio's synthesizer or IF is 1 or 2 kHz off - many people don't realize theirs is - you simply have to offset that with the tuning knob. If you nail it right on frequency the ARD-25 decodes perfectly. I will say the audio could be more comfortable than it is. Its clear but tinny. No tone. So, if you're also getting, say, VHF aircraft through the device as its connected to your radio, well you'll get a tinny version of the normal audio. Not horrible but not the most comfortable to listen to either.

The ARD-25 does what I want it to. It expands receiving capability on my R7000. Plus I don't know of any other devices that perform this function. I'm glad AOR makes it.