Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | National NCX-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for National NCX-1000
National NCX-1000 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10 thru 80 meter SSB/CW/AM high power tranceiver
More info: http://www.io.com/~nielw/nat_list/ncx1000.htm

You can write your own review of the National NCX-1000.

W7MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Not a plastic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Clean easy to use front panel layout. No Menus...

I purchased one of the NOS NCX-1000's in 1993
It arrived fully functional and was fun to use. Lots of positive comments from contacts on the air. Tricky to tune... read the instructions first. a beginner should not buy this radio. I sold it but was glad to have had the chance to own one. A classic.

W4UKR Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Great System. Had a new one in 1971 and it went to the Panama ,  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had to sell it in Costa Rica, after four years use there. It always worked great and I wish I had it back.w4ukr

K6DPZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2007 16:29 Send this review to a friend
A rig designed way beyond its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have repaired many of these radios and have two in our own stable.It has a interesting design utilizing bi lateral circuits.And if you are lucky to get your hands on one hold on to it.It is a good example of americian technoligy.My suggestion do nt let some one work on it if they are not familiar with it

JA3KEV Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2002 14:26 Send this review to a friend
The Number of NCX-1000's Produced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have learned from a recent email sent from W1JQC, Gary , living in Foxboro,
MA, halfway between Boston, MA and Providence, Rhode Island that he has his Dad's NCX-1000,and that its serial numner is #271.

I believe that NCX-1000 will increase its worth every year, and the value goes up
double-fold every year, because there were only 26 NCX-1000's left at NRC when it was closed, and the number of NCX-1000's produced is quite limited, W1JQC Gary's transceiver's serial number is 0276. Mine here are 0234, 0294, and 0368, so the total number of transceivers produced is less than 350-400, and some are still left unassembled at the factory warehouse in Boston owned by its former National Radio employee Richard Galardi,W1DEJ,Surgas,MA. http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis/9075/Richard1.html
I also got spare chassis's from W1DEJ, on which all the parts without PCB
boards, VFO unit, and high voltage tranformer are installed. And this partly
assembled unit is numbered 0371 as a serial number. So I would like to advise those who own this rare rig NCX-1000 to preserve it with utmost care and love!
In a sense, this rig is far more precious and of higher money value than Collins KWM2 or Collins S-Line.
Philip Y. Shibuya cfaax409@jtw.zaq.ne.jp

JA3KEV Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2002 18:39 Send this review to a friend
One of the Greatest Transceivers of the Past  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I learned of this transceiver late fall in the year 2000. My close friend Richard Galardi, W1DEJ, suggested that he has great rigs to sell, NOS. My friend JA3KBD and I have decided to purchase two of them from him, so we ordered two NCX-1000's in the summer of 2001. Yes, two NCX-1000's were sent to us. Very heavy, and we had to pay a lot for shipping across the ocean!
What I can say about this great transceiver is the dynamic clear sound of
voice in receiving and transmitting. You are sure to get pile-ups if you go on the air with this transceiver !! In Japan we have 100V AC power, so we can't operate in
full power, only reduced output power of 300-350 watts in SSB Mode.
Rich put ON/OFF toggle switch in the rear of the transceiver to stop the function of its blower when SWLing with this,and yes, I can listen without its noise! The availability of the final tube 8122 is a problem to me but its unbelievably high power and fascinatingly beautiful front panel design are the greatest merit of this ransceiver. And its demerit is that it is very heavy. This is the heaviest rig I have ever known! I purchased Rich's last NCX-1000 in January, 2002, and also in March, I obtained another NCX-1000 from Sweden and then in May, I got one more NCX-1000 from JH1WCD who also purchased it from W1DEJ during his stay in USA! Now my radio room has become a museum of NCX-1000's. The number of NCX-1000's left in the factory of National Radio Company in its bankruptcy back in late 80's was 26 sets, so how many working NCX-1000's are left in the world. I purchased 5 sets, and out of which I sold one to JA3KBD, Minoru, and another to JA4JTD in Hiroshima, Japan. I have now three sets.
My next project is to put a digital frequency display to this NRC's transceiver so that I can go on the air with an exact frequency readout. I have already purchased Neil Heckt's frequency display kits for my NCX-1000's, so it will not be long before I can go on the air with modern digital device. I would like to hear comments from other NCX-1000 lovers throughout the world!!
JA3KEV, Philip Y. Shibuya, Wakayama Japan.

N3IBX Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2000 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic hybrid tube/solid state tranceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The National NCX-1000 is a fantastic high power HF radio. It does not include the WARC bands or 160M. It uses a 8122 ceramic tube in the PA for approx. 400 to 500 watts output. Transmit audio quality is very clean (mic used is a Shure 444).
This radio employs early solid state technology for the receiver and it's major components. The driver and final use tubes. Even though the receiver has no noise blanker, IF shift, or other bells and whistles it still has a great dynamic range and good selectivity. The power supply, speaker and transmitter are all in a self contained 60 lb. package. Transporting it from one location to another can effect a hernia!
This radio has an analog readout. If you find one with a crystal calibrator consider yourself lucky since it was a rare option.
With proper care and operation it will give you years of trouble free service. I recommend you purchase a manual if you plan to operate it everyday. When tuning use a reduced power output and tune for maximum output instead of dipping the plate.
Overall it's a great radio that's fun to operate and looks impressive in the shack.