Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTDX-3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX-3000
Yaesu FTDX-3000 Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3299.00
Description: Yaesu newest add to the HF line
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX-3000.

N2PM Rating: 2/5 Mar 17, 2017 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Disappointment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought three of these radios over the last few years. Don't ask me why I must be crazy. Had quality issues with two, not impressed. Liked the idea, size and features but does live up to expectations. My main rig is a FTDX 5000, no problems love it! If you are thinking of a FTDX 3000, buy an Icom 7300 or wait for the new 7610 you'll be glad you did.

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2017 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio but RTFM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FTDX3000 for over 4 years now an when reading some of the negative reviews regarding splattering on the 3000 I find that many of the operators that run these radio's DON'T READ the MANUAL! First off most of the problems I find with either the 3000 or 1200 is the op's have the ALC scale way over driven, these newer radio's are not like the old MP's, that ALC should be set to 2/3rds or 3/4 of the ALC scale on absolute voice peaks. Another thing that will tame the ALC is use just about 3-5Db of compression on absolute peaks again. Another thing to check is if the ham who is complaining is running his RX wide open like his filters set at 4-5Khz bandwidth, just give me a friggin break, an SSB signal is supposed to be 2.4 to 2.7 wide not 4-5Khz, if this is what you guys want use AM. Another fools road to go down is all the extra ESSB junk sold on the market and running the radio's transmiter wider than 3Khz, either leave it off or use 100-2900Khz which will give you more than enough bandwidth for good audio and the built in parametric EQ will do the rest with a good mic. SSB was not designed like AM and for you ESSB guys chasing after Hi Fi audio on SSB well sorry you are fooling yourself.
I recently had a IC 7300 in the shack and compared it to the 3000, the 3000 IMO was better, the 7300 even without pre amp or IP+ turned on had much more background noise than the 3000 did, I found having to dig into controls to adjust the notch and other simple things on the 7300 a real PITA. It is what they say it is a great entry level radio but that's it were I find the FTDX3000 entry level competition grade radio, it's a radio that can be used for rag chew, DXing and contesting and I hope the newer IC7610 that Icom is coming out with might just be better.
I hope Yaesu does come out with a SDR but I hope its more like a mid level radio not entry level but my hat is off to Icom's marketing department on what they have done with the 7300 but its just not my cup of tea.

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2017 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent "used" too!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to share with you my perspective as a new owner of a used FTdx3000. Don't be afraid to purchase a FTdx3000 used. Just remember to do a Full Reset to remove any of the setting from the previous owner. Their settings may not be your settings.

If you are buying one used, please ask:
1) What is the Serial Number (Reveals production date codes). Tells the production age of the radio.
2) What are the Firmware Versions (4 total at power-up). You may have to do the updates.
3) Download the Operating Manual and see what a fantastic radio you have. 140 pages, 32.3MB size, PDF. Download the Technical Supplement 151 pages, 42.4MB, PDF.
4) Please do a Full Reset. Depress the PowerOn+Fast+Lock buttons. Page 7 in the Operating Manual. This takes you back to a factory-fresh User Menu (all 197 of them!).
5) Have you modified settings in the Service Menu? If so, what? Why? My previous owner did... This menu is for Technicians not Users. I have a calibrated R2004D/HS to do this!
6) Get the Yaesu Virtual Port Drivers installed BEFORE you ever connect it to you computer. Also buy a high-quality shielded USB-B cable.
7) Reset the friction (Torque) on the Main VFO knob to your liking. Page 6 in the Operating Manual.

All in all- I am thrilled with my purchase. Yes, I would do it all again, and I would not change a thing. The FTdx3000 becomes the centerpiece of a highly sophisticated digital-enabled HF radio station. I purchased a new PC and a 30" wide 21:9 screen to leverage all of the software and capabilities this radio exhibits. It was a full Tech-Refresh for me. 73 Al - NW2M

KK4Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2016 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for approx. 5 years and it has been a very good radio for me. The firm ware updates have been great and made a good radio better. It has good "ears" and I always get good audio reports with a Heil Mic.

The only issue I have with the radio is working with digital modes through the USB port. It can be done but it is not very intuitive.

I recently purchased an IC-7300. Overall, I find the two radios somewhat comparable, each with pluses and minuses over the other. Digital modes are easier to set up on the 7300. Fun factor does go to the 7300, I love the user interface.

Right now I am using the 7300 more but we will see once the newness of the 7300 wears off. Both good radios, both have their place.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2016 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Super Duper   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FTdx3000 for at least three years, and I am completely satisfied with it. I may take some getting used to, especially if you are used to a different rig from a different manufacturer, but all features and functions work as intended, and some features, such as the DSP noise reduction system, and the "Contour" feature, work very well, indeed. Outstanding transmit and receive audio which can be tailored to personal taste with built-in EQ - but I find it works best with its default audio settings.

The on-board spectrum scope and waterfall are fun, and just adequate to the task. But the real bonus is the 9 MHz IF output that provides a full-screen band scope display using any number of inexpensive SDR receivers - some RTL dongs cost less than $50 and provide a super nice panadapter display that can tune the rig with a simple mouse-click on the computer screen. I use an ELAD FDM-S2 receiver, and this is a super combination - costing less than $300. Some manufacturers provide competing solutions costing three times as much. Thus, I consider the on-board spectrum display a bonus - and employ the IF output to provide a 24 inch spectrum display that rivals the competition.

The FTdx3000 is not too big, and has an extremely quiet cooling fan. It looks good, and the front panel controls and LCD display are clear and easy to read and use. At first, some controls seem a bit quirky and awkward, but they quickly become second nature and easy to use in a short time, with just a little experience. Just another way of skinning the cat, I guess.

Yaesu has updated firmware several times to address issues and customer demands. All firmware updates have been easy to install with no problems. The free software control application mirrors the front panel and other controls and provides another way to adjust both front panel and hidden MENU settings - but is generally not very helpful in routine operation. N4PY control software works very well with the FTdx3000 and allows one to share band, mode, frequency and other data with other applications, such as logging, antenna rotator, digital mode, and other third-party software applications. I use it to coordinate my Palstar AT-AUTO tuner, and N3FJP AC-Log program with no issues.

My FTdx3000 works flawlessly and is a joy to operate. Audio in and out is as good as my legendary Ten-Tec gear, and I am a satisfied customer. At least,... that is just MY take! Your mileage may differ. K8JHR

ZS5WC Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2016 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best!..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was offered the FTDX-3000 recently as the person that had placed the order for it had changed horses mid stream and wanted the new "wunderkind" rig, IC7300 instead.
I am not an SDR groupie, and although some parts of the FTDX-3000 is SDR based, the main architecture is still an Superheterodyne.
The rig it replaced was the IC-7700, and FT-950.

*WOW!--is all I could muster the first time I heard the RX audio. It is super clear-almost has an FM quality to it, and the DSP is mindblowingly good.
This would be the first radio I have owned where I actually USE the DSP!.
*The RX noise floor is super low-I get on the 10m band and work DX even with the band in a poor state. (meaning A index is high and sunspot numbers low.)
I can hear the tiniest signal on the other side of the world with the selective and quiet RX.
Strong adjacent signals-no problem!.
*This rig modulates well, and sounds good-I get glorious reports regularly.
Using the BAND DATA control (sensibly connected to a DB15 socket) I can easily control my Expert amp using two DB15 plugs and homebrew cable.
(Band Data, PTT, ALC)
*It never gets hot even in a warm shack--I still have not heard the fans speed up on TX.
*The 'S'meter is awesome!.. Unlike the useless 'S' meter on the IC-7700 that runs with a 30dB offset below 'S'9!.. Ever heard a strong station and the 'S'meter reads ZERO!. This caused major arguments on the ICOM forums re. the atypical operation of the meter.
On the FTDX-3000 the meter is very responsive to small signals and the emulation is very good.
*Band scope is entirely accurate and useful.
No Ghost birdies or blips in scope screen.
A frequency legend below the scope could have been useful though.
*Noise blanker still is not perfect-it has that slight impulse noise overshoot issue most DSP rigs suffer from , but it is MANY times more efficient than said IC-7700.

I LOVE this rig--plain and simple. Not the prettiest out there-but has a layout that grows on you.
73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this gem for over a year purchased new at radioworld just down the road here in Toronto Ontario Canada & before purchasing I researched on what was out , what was coming out , researched for a LONG time on what would reach my operating standards , everything about this transceiver has reached my expectations , was a decision between the ts590sg, icom 7600 & yaesu ftdx3000, obviously writing this review because my choice was the 3000, used the transceiver as is for the first few months & than connected lp pan2 panadapter with Asus Xonar U7 external soundcard with laptop & external speakers for SDR, without SDR connection this transceiver DSP still shines in my opinion , with SDR connected from usb port on transceiver it is also very sweet , regardless , the down conversion first IF @ 9mhz is great, very low signal to noise ratio ,it's got so much positive settings & options , menu is very easy to use & set , got my hi cut low cut SSB DSP settings set up to where a 1-2khz separation with even +20db signals can be cut out with just a touch of the digital notch & width , basically if you know what your doing you can get the receiver working amazingly , get used to the filters & receiver options , this transceiver is a winner in my opinion , right up there with all the other high end & direct / down conversion receivers in the high end transceivers , currently running my FTdx3000 with a SDR & with Nap3 & HRD software, TX is versatile with BW & eq options settings, CW & digital decode, there's so much more !!! Cant compare it to the FTdx1200 & FT2000 that's for sure or even a whole bunch of the other transceivers on the market, you wanna a transceiver with a good receiver go with one of my favorites Elekraft K3, TS590sg, TS990, or FTdx3000, FTdx5000 & FTdx9000 down conversion receivers & Icom has there high end IC7800, IC7851 & the IC7300 which has been pretty good with its direct conversion, anything else is just OK ( basic ) or your better off with the older Yaesu FT1000 models or the Icom IC775dsp & IC756 pro models or Kenwood TS950 & TS870 models. Im sure there will be many more good teanscievers on the market from here on foward. To each there own, Got pictures on qrz under my call sign VA3MLV

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Still Brill  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned many radios - many more than once so have plenty of experience to form the basis of what is good and bad in terms of HF Transceivers.

I have recently gone back to the FTDX-3000. What a receiver! Its so close to the FTDX-5000 - for the casual op, there's no difference.

With most radios on the market having excellent specs nowadays what sets the 3000 apart? It's the warm, rich audio - even from the internal speaker and the DSP that pushes the noise and dirt down, and brings the otherwise hard to hear stations up.

I toyed with trying an FTDX-1200 but the 300Hz roofing filter and general selectivity numbers made me go for another FTDX-3000.

I promise to keep this one - at least for a month!

IU2GFF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2016 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a class radio. RX is great and TX audio is very clean.
The layout of the front panel is rational, ergonomics are fine.

99% of a top notch transceiver for half the price.

What's missing for perfection?
1. DNR and DNF are both hidden in a menu.
2. The same apply for monitor audio level, hidden in menu #35. A knob on the front panel would be a better solution.
3. Not full Mac compatible. At least, yeas should make it Mac compatible for firmware upgrades.

IU2GFF

KM6AXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Instructions lacking on one area I noticed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not have a great deal of experience with radios (a newbie) so I have no reason not to give this radio a 5. I does more than I need that's for sure. But I can offer one helpful tidbit for other new folks. You all know about "Instruction Manuals" - either difficult to read or not totally clear on different points. Here is what I discovered that may save you time/aggravation. On the front display where it says "Keyer Off", you will not be able to make that read "Keyer On" if you happen to be in the "CW Decode mode". You must get out of Decode mode (by pressing Select for a second or two) and then you can change it to "on". The instructions did not mention that. You may already know that but I didn't :):)